Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Frank hasn't been given enough minutes in the league. His leadership matters. Small PGs have been a thing in the NBA forever. Today's game is about protecting friends since it is run by players. A real shame.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sucks personally bc I'd have gone to see him play here in Portland had he stayed on the Delaware squad.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Sparko wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:54 pm Frank hasn't been given enough minutes in the league. His leadership matters. Small PGs have been a thing in the NBA forever. Today's game is about protecting friends since it is run by players. A real shame.
My guess is most NBA fans (and even KU fans) don't realize Frank has played in 103 NBA games and averaged 15.7 minutes a game. Who has owed him more than that? That's more than enough to show what he can do - and what he can do is be a consistent guy coming off the end of your bench. He's just not much more than that.
His leadership matters? I might agree but this is the NBA and not Kansas. Not too many guys in the NBA think of Frank Mason when the word 'leadership" pops up. Heck, you have to figure Frank would have been about #13 on the Lakers in the leadership chain of command.
I do agree with your sentiment that a big PART of "the game" is about protecting friends and it's a real shame in regards to Frank but friends aren't the ones making decisions regarding Frank Mason - unless friends are named LeBron, KD, Steph, etc. Even then, they aren't always the ones making the decisions.
Deleted User 887

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

man among boys
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 887

Looks like Selden is going to stick with the Knicks and may actually be on their bench (and could play) Wednesday night for the Knicks first game. Good for him!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:05 am
Sparko wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:54 pm Frank hasn't been given enough minutes in the league. His leadership matters. Small PGs have been a thing in the NBA forever. Today's game is about protecting friends since it is run by players. A real shame.
My guess is most NBA fans (and even KU fans) don't realize Frank has played in 103 NBA games and averaged 15.7 minutes a game. Who has owed him more than that? That's more than enough to show what he can do - and what he can do is be a consistent guy coming off the end of your bench. He's just not much more than that.
His leadership matters? I might agree but this is the NBA and not Kansas. Not too many guys in the NBA think of Frank Mason when the word 'leadership" pops up. Heck, you have to figure Frank would have been about #13 on the Lakers in the leadership chain of command.
I do agree with your sentiment that a big PART of "the game" is about protecting friends and it's a real shame in regards to Frank but friends aren't the ones making decisions regarding Frank Mason - unless friends are named LeBron, KD, Steph, etc. Even then, they aren't always the ones making the decisions.
He played spurts. Never got a real chance to do what he has to offer except G league. And a PG is all about leadership. The NBA is pretty much a chucker's league right now though. The shot clock is a huge factor. Frank may be a victim of the hectic pace as much as anything else. Finesse was more important years ago.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think he's been given as much a shot as he needs to show his skillset.
But you can also look at inopportune injuries as well.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Injuries for sure limited his PT. Sucks that someone who is a great role model is on the outside looking in. Works hard, leads by example. Plays hard on both ends. Not named Lamelo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Frank's knock every time he gets cut is his lack of size hurting his teams in transition D. That's not really something you can fix. But, his offense is so good when he's shooting well that you'd still think he would have stuck on better. That's gotta be injuries and luck.
Deleted User 863

trazom wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 pm Frank might have been the biggest KU surprise in my lifetime.
Frank or Devonte for sure.

Udoka ended up a big surprise as well imo.
Deleted User 863

Bulls have a lot of competition at his position with Lonzo Coby Lavine and Ayo etc. Seems like a strange fit and not a great opportunity for actual minutes to prove himself. But he's collecting a paycheck so it's maybe better than the alternative if no other teams would potentially be interested.
Deleted User 887

He will not see quality minutes with the Bools (unless there are injuries and/or trades) and I believe he's only guaranteed $50,000. Of course it's hard to fault him for wanting to stick with his dream of playing in the NBA but it very well may suit him better (playing time and $) to play overseas. Hey, wtf do I know?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Both Frank and Vonte's stock rose in recruiting ranks once Kansas started getting interested.
Frank eventually was somewhere around 75-100.
Vonte around 40.

Going from 149 247/ 76 rivals /unranked ESPN to NPOY sure is something.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bools are the only nba team he’s messed with, right?

And if there is a lot of competition at his position, maybe he has a chance with another team too.

Dude is only 22, and at least has elite speed going for him.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm pretty sure that two way contracts got better in the offseason.
I think you make a minimum of 425k - which to play basketball for a year is pretty freaking awesome ( average salary Chicago 73k ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And yeah Frank has got to be biggest surprise.

Even if it’s his lack of size for transition D, you’d think his offense would be good enough to at least get a few reps with the second team. Not expecting him to start, but to just play a couple minutes while the starters sit and stuff.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Though we're talking some small sample sizes, he also hasn't been able to translate his 3 point range in the NBA, which he obviously needs to sink if he's going to be an asset. His first season with the Kings was fine - but since then he's shot 25% from 3.