2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by Cascadia »

You really have to question your judgement when the resident psychopath agrees with you........
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Chiefs are 4-4 against teams that require precision to beat. The offense has lost them all. For all the fretting about the defense, they have made some stops that a talented offensive team should have easily turned into tempo points. Reid is also way too comfortable with field goals. Yesterday's five point lead was a classic. We have observed here that there is really only about a TD's worth of difference between good teams and the best teams. Reid going conservative has cost the Chiefs three wins or so. Yesterday, he was intent on running until it actually made sense: third and two. The Chiefs have been beating themselves. If they don't kick another FG all year, I will be okay with it. The Chiefs really depended on the mostly mistake free nature of Hunt. But still, Reid accepting FGs too easily and not resting his defense is very Schottenheimer-like. The offense has the advantage in the NFL and the winning must be done on that side of the ball.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Chiefs scored 32 points.
This isn't on the offense - though they obviously could have played better.
It's our shit defense and the fact that we are playing below our level.

We beat ourselves in that game.
We had a 93% chance to win with 1:20 left and then gave it to the Titans.

I stand by the fact that our management scrambled to say, "WE GOTTA WIN NOW" and made some poor moves. Instead of building through the draft and keeping decent players on lower costs, they went for the splashiest of guys and failed.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm The Chiefs scored 32 points.

Agree with this 100% They made some dumb gambles on defensive personnel and are now paying the price. You can't field a Super Bowl contender without a defense that can do something as simple as hold the other team to a field goal or less with three minutes left in a game.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

This sucks. I thought maybe the Titan offense finally got better.

And are: Lewan. At least he knows he should die in a fire too. Respect his post game words, but they just words.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:33 pm The Chiefs scored 32 points.

We had a 93% chance to win with 1:20 left and then gave it to the Titans.

I stand by the fact that our management scrambled to say, "WE GOTTA WIN NOW" and made some poor moves. Instead of building through the draft and keeping decent players on lower costs, they went for the splashiest of guys and failed.
The Chiefs offense scored 46 points. But 14 went to Tennessee thru special teams gaffes and returned fumbles. The defense played well enough. Henry is a huge guy being run to death. Dropped some interceptions. Again. Still, the offense did not make critical plays and gave away a two score lead in its timidity. The Chiefs need to play this like chess: up a tempo kill them offensively. Build three and four score leads. They are good enough to do that.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The defense did play well enough but the issue, and perhaps the fatal blow will be or is they cannot get stops when it matters. If you can't get stops when the game is on the line than everything else you have done previously is void.
At the same time equal shares of the blame should go to the offense and special teams. The big stats I look at are third down and red zone conversion %. Are you staying or getting off of the field and are you scoring TDs or kicking field goals - vice versa for your opponent. I will say that the big difference between this year and last is that the Chiefs are not converting in the red zone and they struggle on third and fourth and short.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 am
Henry is a huge guy being run to death.
[/quote]

actually, this is first year he's been used anywhere near the load he has this year, and it's still 18.7 carries a game....9th most in league....which, considering how awful the Titans offense has been much of year, isn't really over-usage.

Plus, he's a huge guy...he becomes more effective as games progress. See: Sunday.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I was so wrong about Mariota. And sad that I was--seems like a good dude.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This matches pretty closely to how I feel about the teams. Although Dallas doesn't seem that good. Good, but not THAT good. Oakland doesn't seem that good either.

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1 ... 19456?s=20
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

To put into perspective. Before the Chiefs game Henry had ONE game where he eclipsed 100 yards and it was against ATL and he had exactly 100 yards. When Henry sees the Chiefs on the schedule his eyes have to light up like Christmas trees. Which makes the game plan that Spags came up with on Sunday even more infuriating. The Titans can essentially only run the ball. It isn't a huge secret yet the Chiefs couldn't even do that.

MM8 will forever be my favorite CFB QB of all time. He probably was never going to be as good as he was in college but having a different OCs it seemed every year sure didn't help his development.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Seeing Mariota fail in the NFL has been fun for me. You would all feel the same way if you had to live with the most annoying fan base in the US
Last edited by Cascadia on Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gqcolorado wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:48 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:46 am
Henry is a huge guy being run to death.
actually, this is first year he's been used anywhere near the load he has this year, and it's still 18.7 carries a game....9th most in league....which, considering how awful the Titans offense has been much of year, isn't really over-usage.

Plus, he's a huge guy...he becomes more effective as games progress. See: Sunday.
[/quote]
I was thinking Earl Campbell. It us easy to use them up during a season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:03 pmI was thinking Earl Campbell.
The Oilers moved to Tennessee almost 25 years ago.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:03 pmI was thinking Earl Campbell.
The Oilers moved to Tennessee almost 25 years ago.
He is the definitive tired RB in my mind decades later. I have never seen a stronger man. But 30 carries a game crippled him.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Holy shit!

Steelers Browns wrestlemania!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Garrett and Rudolph should be glad the the hit wear with the padding at bottom of helmet. If that was the crown of the helmet, Rudolph’s skull could have split open.

Garrett should be gone rest of season.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am Garrett and Rudolph should be glad the the hit wear with the padding at bottom of helmet.
Well said, blackmild.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am Garrett and Rudolph should be glad the the hit wear with the padding at bottom of helmet. If that was the crown of the helmet, Rudolph’s skull could have split open.

Garrett should be gone rest of season.
Agree with the sentiment, but "rest of the season" is always too arbitrary. Pick a number of games (I'm good with 16!) and if it carries over, it carries over.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:06 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:00 am Garrett and Rudolph should be glad the the hit wear with the padding at bottom of helmet.
Well said, blackmild.
Holy shit. I wrote this holding my crying toddler with a tooth coming in and didn’t even realize how bad this looked. 😳 Haha
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG