Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by pdub »

Shared an office with a coworker. It's been great. We get along - a lot of people come in and visit - we utilize the space well.

Account has been shifted around - some people in the main room had to be moved to a different wing.
One person who has an office to herself was moved off this particular account - which technically means she shouldn't even be in this wing anymore. Apparently she got word of the move, made a fuss about possibly having to move or share an office, and now we're getting kicked out so someone who is actually on the account can have an office ( and they would have been fine sharing ).

This forces us to move out of the office.

Bitching and moaning sure can work wonders if you bitch and moan to the right people.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you guys ready for the most professional story of all time?

so last night my homie goes on some tinder date. This morning I text him asking how it went but don’t hear back right away and kinda forget about it.

Then later today I’m meeting with the gm about some fishing stuff. I’m showing him some photos on my phone when I get a text back that simply reads, “damn could she gobble it tho”

anywho Mr. GM so about the fishing!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pics?

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:05 pm you guys ready for the most professional story of all time?

so last night my homie goes on some tinder date. This morning I text him asking how it went but don’t hear back right away and kinda forget about it.

Then later today I’m meeting with the gm about some fishing stuff. I’m showing him some photos on my phone when I get a text back that simply reads, “damn could she gobble it tho”

anywho Mr. GM so about the fishing!
I was having lunch with a friend who is an artist one day. We are sitting across the table from each other at a restaurant and he is excitedly describing a new process he is working on to fabricate some large intricate steel bowls. He holds his iPhone up towards me and is flipping through the photos from the other side one by one, not looking at what he is showing me. We get to the last photo. My facial expression changes ever so slightly and I say, "nice bowls" and then stare at him in silence. He looks quizzical and turns the camera around quickly to look at the photo. It is a photo of his wife naked. From the perspective of the image, the photographer is underneath her and her breasts look particularly large and pendulous from this vantage point. He turns beet red and looks at his wife who is sitting next to me looking at the menu and was ignoring the photo review. She didn't see a thing or look up. I ask another question about his process ( process of fabricating bowls, not cinematography mind you ) and he goes back into description mode again, but obviously distracted. I get a text from him back at the office after lunch telling me thanks for handling that so smoothly.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So...I'm eating lunch at work in a public area that is surrounded by offices. It's me and three women I work with at a table (don't hate the player, hate the game). One of the office doors flies open. A professor starts yelling "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE!" The postdoc inside says "If you do that, I'll call the cops." The professor, trying to be more calm, says "Please, just leave my office." The post doc replies, "stop acting like you're nice, I know you're mean." Post-doc walks out, swiftly. Professor closes his office door. Woman in support staff position quickly walks out in the direction the post-doc went in, about 2 minutes later, support staff woman goes back into her office.

What the fuck went down? What could the post-doc have said to make his boss SO angry? What did the professor say prior to opening the door that would make the post-doc consider calling the police? What was the support staff woman's role in all this?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Stealing research.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 pmStealing research.
yeah, I thought maybe something like that or, faking data...but then what...did the Prof threaten the post-doc, or something? Why bring up calling the police?

Background, the Prof is a hot head who yells a lot and has pretty high turnover in the people who work for him. But the post-doc is a mild mannered polite guy who is almost too nice to me in all of our interactions.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Prof stole research from postdoc, prof said he was publishing the research without consent but would offer to include footnote giving credit to postdoc but still taking 90 percent of the profit/credit. Postdoc threatens blackmail/police involvement if prof publishes his work.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Perhaps prof twisting data to fit his previous publications/theories, postdoc not happy with how data being skewed. I dont know. Just spitballing here as I eat turkey sandwich.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I mean, usually if you publish something the professor would be the corresponding author, and the postdoc would be first author, so it doesn't seem like authorship would be an issue.

But I think you're right that it had to be something like your second post. Or, maybe the prof demanded an experiment be done that the post-doc knew wouldn't work. It had be something like that, that then escalated.

But the police comment had to come from a physical threat or something...I don't think anyone would call the cops about your boss publishing something you didn't like...right?

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This day in age? I rule out nothing.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So...here's the pickle I'm in. I'm right now writing a manuscript. This post-doc did two experiments for me, that I'm including in the paper. So, the paper has him and his boss as middle authors. What are the chances this fight they got in causes problems for me in getting them to sign off on me submitting it for publication?

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Is the prof tenured?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yes

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm So...here's the pickle I'm in. I'm right now writing a manuscript. This post-doc did two experiments for me, that I'm including in the paper. So, the paper has him and his boss as middle authors. What are the chances this fight they got in causes problems for me in getting them to sign off on me submitting it for publication?
if they don’t sign off, remove their experiments and authorship, then publish without them (if possible).

i had a colleague submit a manuscript with myself as coauthor, without my final approval - i had a bunch of methodological issues that weren’t being addressed, but they eventually came up in review anyway and were taken care of
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:11 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm So...here's the pickle I'm in. I'm right now writing a manuscript. This post-doc did two experiments for me, that I'm including in the paper. So, the paper has him and his boss as middle authors. What are the chances this fight they got in causes problems for me in getting them to sign off on me submitting it for publication?
if they don’t sign off, remove their experiments and authorship, then publish without them (if possible).

i had a colleague submit a manuscript with myself as coauthor, without my final approval - i had a bunch of methodological issues that weren’t being addressed, but they eventually came up in review anyway and were taken care of
So, the post-doc has been at work all week. I would have quit.

But, hopefully this means there are no issues with my manuscript.

Side note, the professor walked past me as he was leaving, he rode his bike to work, and had a go-pro-type camera on his helmet. I bet that fucker has some sweet videos of him doing some sweet moves on his bike...what a dick.

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I wish I was smarter and could have qualified for academia.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's a good career if you hate money.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If someone is working with headphones on, when is it appropriate to interrupt them and make them take off their headphones?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:13 am If someone is working with headphones on, when is it appropriate to interrupt them and make them take off their headphones?
Depends what the context is? If urgent deal, yes. If not, let them be and do their thing.

But I don't understand how people are able to work with headphones. I think I would like to talk to other people while at work. Or else it'd be a boring day. I believe social interaction is a big part of work.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG