Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by Deleted User 310 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:52 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:31 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 am leaders are supposed to lead

be they mayors, governors, legislators or presidents
Agreed, but at the very least a relevant portion of our population had no desire to be led.
I know buncha mouth breathers thinking they NEED to go golfing.
Is it safe to walk outside?

Golf is safe. Safer than almost any activity. Nobody has been getting infected golfing (please note: golfing does not include sitting in the bar at the course after the round). So I guess I don't know what your crusade is against golf?

Maybe you are/were in favor of shutting EVERYTHING completely down and sheltering in place 100% never leaving homes for ANY reason for 3-4weeks....if so, then i agree that would have worked the best to break to chain of transmission...but i think a lot of people might have run out of food.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am (please note: golfing does not include sitting in the bar at the course after the round).
as if golf wasn’t already boring enough...
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:37 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am (please note: golfing does not include sitting in the bar at the course after the round).
as if golf wasn’t already boring enough...
Haha. I bring my own cooler. Fuck paying a shit ton for golf course alcohol. Tisk tisk i know, outside coolers arent allowed...usually throw a bottle of water, a gatorade, and 6 beers in there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Now we’re talking.

Do they still have the beer girl ride around with a cart full of cold ones?

That can be worth buying a couple just to chat her up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One of the last times I played golf, it was that course in the middle of Lawrence.

My buddy rolled a fat blunt and tucked it behind his ear, which we were gonna spark as soon as we teed off.

We get to our second shots on the first hole, he reaches to his ear, and realizes he lost it.

He throws a stoner tantrum and insists on looking for it, so we spend the next half hour driving up and down the fairway while other golfers play through. When they ask, he says he’s looking for his 9 iron lol.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:51 am Now we’re talking.

Do they still have the beer girl ride around with a cart full of cold ones?

That can be worth buying a couple just to chat her up.
At some places. Not so much around here. In resort town/vacation towns much more frequently.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I usually bring my own beer...and tip the cart girl as if I bought it from her.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:48 am I usually bring my own beer...and tip the cart girl as if I bought it from her.
This is a pro move, kids.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Well we may have lucked out. My son’s preschool teacher from last year has offered to home school. Not ideal, but given the school year a couple weeks away we are probably rolling with it. Luckily she’s a very experienced teacher and my son will have 7 kids with him that he already knows. Still several covid protocols to follow, but that goes for anywhere. I told my wife, the fact that she’s teaching from her own house might actually be even safer than some random daycare.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

I have wondered if this wont create a niche market for smaller schoolhouse type learning.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I know 4 people who dropped off their Freshman kids at college this weekend.
After reading about UNC, Notre Dame, Nova, OKST, and others - I would be really hesitant/apprehensive sending my kid to school. Might make me an asshole but the bigger assholes are the "leaders" of those schools (who can't control them) and the students (who don't give a fuck) that are attending them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 pm I have wondered if this wont create a niche market for smaller schoolhouse type learning.
There's some hotel around here promoting the use of their conference space for group tutoring, for people who opt to keep their kids home.

So, help me understand: you elect to keep your kids home because of Covid-19...but you would send them to get together for a couple hours a day?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Just read that good ol' Bethel College had at least 46 confirmed cases of COVID. In a town as small as Newton, specifically North Newton that is going to be HUGE news.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:20 pm Just read that good ol' Bethel College had at least 46 confirmed cases of COVID. In a town as small as Newton, specifically North Newton that is going to be HUGE news.
482 tests, 46 positive. 9.54% positive rate. That's a significant rate.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Yikes, stay safe Newton. That's a massive cluster.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My county is currently at a 25.3% positive rate
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:35 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:53 pm I have wondered if this wont create a niche market for smaller schoolhouse type learning.
There's some hotel around here promoting the use of their conference space for group tutoring, for people who opt to keep their kids home.

So, help me understand: you elect to keep your kids home because of Covid-19...but you would send them to get together for a couple hours a day?
I am not sure what i would do personally...but i would certainly think 5-10 kids together is safer/easier to space out than 20-30 kids.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:36 pm I know 4 people who dropped off their Freshman kids at college this weekend.
After reading about UNC, Notre Dame, Nova, OKST, and others - I would be really hesitant/apprehensive sending my kid to school. Might make me an asshole but the bigger assholes are the "leaders" of those schools (who can't control them) and the students (who don't give a fuck) that are attending them.
My oldest daughter's dipshit boyfriend left for the Univ. Of. Nebraska down in Lincoln Saturday and I am very worried about when he comes back. These kids have been cooped up for 5 months and are going to go wild and then head back home to spread the fun to their friends and families.

If we get COVID into my house from this moron, I am going to be pissed.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

UNC bails

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... eakingnews

UNC-Chapel Hill pivots to remote teaching after coronavirus spreads among students during first week of class
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, one of the largest schools in the country to bring students to campus for in-person teaching, said Monday it will pivot to all-remote instruction for undergraduates after testing showed a pattern of rapid spread of the novel coronavirus.

Officials announced the abrupt change just a week after classes began at the 30,000-student state flagship university.

They said 177 cases of the dangerous pathogen had been confirmed among students, out of hundreds tested. Another 349 students were in quarantine, on and off campus, because of possible exposure to the virus, they said....
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Meh, it’s not like their students went to class in the first place, right ncaa?