What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by dolomite »

Here’s a question. How many illegal immigrants should be let in? Looks like the U.S. is on course for around four million or so this year.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The answer is: how many CEOs and business owners are you willing to jail in order to stop those seeking work from coming across the border. We’re on course to jail no one
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

zsn wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:29 pm The answer is: how many CEOs and business owners are you willing to jail in order to stop those seeking work from coming across the border. We’re on course to jail no one
It’s answer is zero
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

She isn’t wrong
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Overlander wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm She isn’t wrong
Sure, but what did Tucker say?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“the nativity scene is playing out every single day of the year”

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/25/11454816 ... istmas-eve
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Abbot is a pussy
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

holy shit…an actual immigration thread

and with references to abbott busing migrants and everything
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:00 pm Here’s a question. How many illegal immigrants should be let in? Looks like the U.S. is on course for around four million or so this year.
Can you provide a link as to where you got that number, please? I'd like to make sure we are talking about the same thing. "Let in" is a generic term so I'd like to make sure I know what you're asking.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:30 am
dolomite wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:00 pm Here’s a question. How many illegal immigrants should be let in? Looks like the U.S. is on course for around four million or so this year.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna53517
Why does the U.S. even need a border?

Can you provide a link as to where you got that number, please? I'd like to make sure we are talking about the same thing. "Let in" is a generic term so I'd like to make sure I know what you're asking.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:02 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:30 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna53517
Why does the U.S. even need a border?
So "attempted to enter" not "let in". That's what I assumed would be the case. I'd be curious how many of those border encounters resulted in the person being deported immediately, how many tesukted in them twmporarily w tering the country for a court date where they were eventually deported and how many resulted in the person being "let in" to the country permanently.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Did he think this was funny and/or a smart career move?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -reference
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Forgot to post.....
Yesterday I decided to walk by a "migrant" "shelter". It's a converted hotel. See links below.

Hotel Website
https://www.theinnofchicago.com/

Reporter who has been kind of a dick about it.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/chicago-r ... -time-bomb

I had very mixed feelings. I feel God bless our country (or at least the City of Chicago and yes, my tax dollars) for providing food, clothing, and shelter, for these people looking to make a better life for themselves and their families. My problem is that true or not, I have been told by a couple of Chicago Police Officers that there are gangs preying on these people and trying to lure them with money and "jobs". It has the potential to get really ugly.
The migrants aren't really bothering me but they are kind of taking over the neighborhood a bit. Just hanging out on the streets and sidewalks. I saw a family sitting at a bus stop nearby eating a meal and wondered if they knew/know there was/is a really nice park a few blocks away they could have hung out at. It's kind of depressing.
My hope is credible people are trying to help them become "legal" immigrants and help them find jobs but it seems as if some (if not most) of them are sort of wandering around like lost zombies.
We're (or at least I'm) living in interesting time/s my friends.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s only gonna become more prevalent, gutter…the coming decades look to truly test the humanity and compassion present in the world
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:22 pm it’s only gonna become more prevalent, gutter…the coming decades look to truly test the humanity and compassion present in the world
Speaking of things that are by design though - the very point of stunts like what DeSantis and Perry have done is to (1) demonize/isolate "others" as a class, and (2) erode Dems' good faith toward immigrants.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:34 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:22 pm it’s only gonna become more prevalent, gutter…the coming decades look to truly test the humanity and compassion present in the world
Speaking of things that are by design though - the very point of stunts like what DeSantis and Perry have done is to (1) demonize/isolate "others" as a class, and (2) erode Dems' good faith toward immigrants.
absolutely

their only value is as political pawns
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Because of the demographic cliff starting in 2008 with the Bush crash, we actually need immigrants to keep the economy going in the next few years. Americans mostly stopped having kids due to all the Republicans have trashed, from health care to climate change. There is actually a case to be made to let them use the U.S. as port of entry to other destinations too. Ukraine could certainly use their skills and talents.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:47 pm Because of the demographic cliff starting in 2008 with the Bush crash, we actually need immigrants to keep the economy going in the next few years. Americans mostly stopped having kids due to all the Republicans have trashed, from health care to climate change. There is actually a case to be made to let them use the U.S. as port of entry to other destinations too. Ukraine could certainly use their skills and talents.
Relatedly, I love the idea of offering asylum to any* Russian with an advanced STEM degree. Brain drain!

Obviously not ANY, but.