CBB 20/21 season, non-ku

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: CBB 20/21 season, non-ku

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Ban
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:02 am Keyontae Johnson "collapsed" on the court, was taken away on a stretcher, players understandably visibly shaken, and FSU/FLA play/s/ed on. I mean, WTF?
Makes you wonder what the hell we're doing here.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am
Grandma wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:12 am
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:50 am

So, if I grab your hand and hit myself in the face with it, that's a flagrant foul on you? Got it.

If they called a foul on the play, that's one thing. They can go to replay and reverse the flagrant to a common foul and play on. The fact it was a no call on the floor, then went to replay and came away with that conclusion is just crazy.
Interesting. You and I are looking at the exact same thing but we are seeing something different.
I'm not seeing Smith grabbing Cockburn's hand and hitting himself in the face with it. Apparently neither did the refs.
Hey, I don't think it was "intentional" and I'm not sure it warranted a flagrant 1 - despite Smith being hit in the face - but the refs went to replay and came to that conclusion so like me, they saw something different than you did too.
I'm wondering if our interpretations have anything to do with who we preferred won the game.
I wanted Mizzou to win. Did you want Illinois or Missouri to win?
Wtf
Mizzou is now pretty much irrelevant to me. I do not like Illinois - FANS.
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:41 am
Grandma wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:02 am Keyontae Johnson "collapsed" on the court, was taken away on a stretcher, players understandably visibly shaken, and FSU/FLA play/s/ed on. I mean, WTF?
As Portland said, the Florida kids supposedly wanted to keep playing.
I'm not a psychologist so I won't pretend to know what may or may not have been the best thing for them - mentally.
At the time, I would have thought they might be too distraught to play on.

Now in terms of the fact that Johnson had Covid over the summer - and WE don't know if he had a pre-existing condition - and that WE don't know the long term affects of Covid..... Well, my hope is EVERY school makes EVERY athlete go through EXTENSIVE medical testing - more than just once a year?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:23 amBan
Yup.
But know it's gutman, and very well may just be trying to get a rise out of us/you.
Deleted User 289

100% NOT trying to get a rise out of anyone.
As I said, Mizzou (Basketball) is now pretty much irrelevant to me.
There is one game a season I will hope that they win and it's the Illinois game. Mizzou can lose all the rest of their games and I would be fine with it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not "anti" Illinois Basketball per se but I am "anti" Illinois Basketball FANS bandwagon b.s. - that I am at times surrounded by.
Realize many of these are the same people who STILL take joy in Bill Self's KU "failures".
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I don't disagree.

But in football, HS, college, and NFL, similar things happen all the time and no thought is given to stopping the game.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:19 pm
I don't disagree.

But in football, HS, college, and NFL, similar things happen all the time and no thought is given to stopping the game.
Playing through the pandemic when it doesn't make much sense or playing despite a player leaving with life threatening injuries?

Either way, I agree, but I was speaking to the former.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:36 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:19 pm

I don't disagree.

Playing through the pandemic when it doesn't make much sense or playing despite a player leaving with life threatening injuries?

Either way, I agree, but I was speaking to the former.
Both

There's a weird and wide disparity between how the two sports are treated.

I assume it's largely based on fanbase...and I think that's an error.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The 90's really glorified and marketed the violence of football. NFL Blitz, even Madden ads.

Might be a chicken or the egg situation as it relates to the fanbase, but I again agree with you. Football fans were (and still are) completely comfortable with a polite golf clap after an injury, and a "shake it off" and "cowboy up" attitude.

As far as COVID is concerned, there are such large logistical hurdles in playing college sports, especially indoor ones where there are 350+ teams, and an athlete with a medically induced coma is not even a speed bump for the show going on.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am The 90's really glorified and marketed the violence of football. NFL Blitz, even Madden ads.

Might be a chicken or the egg situation as it relates to the fanbase, but I again agree with you. Football fans were (and still are) completely comfortable with a polite golf clap after an injury, and a "shake it off" and "cowboy up" attitude.

As far as COVID is concerned, there are such large logistical hurdles in playing college sports, especially indoor ones where there are 350+ teams, and an athlete with a medically induced coma is not even a speed bump for the show going on.
I think the indoor/outdoor thing is overstated...especially given the enormous differences in numbers. In hoops you have ~12 players, and the entire entourage (players, coaches, training staff, etc. is what...less than 30.

In football that number is way, way over 100...per team. And not everything is done outdoors, locker rooms, training tables, film rooms, hotels, etc. Everything is also scaled up, numbers, travel, time, etc. are all increased in football.

Also, Self has made the point that with the testing and protocols in place, that players are probably safer playing than those in general population. I'm not sure about that, but I do think that having protocols to protect student athletes are more likely to work and be carried out correctly when you're talking about 15 guys instead of 85 guys.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You're probably right about the indoor thing, and I didn't mean at all to defend CFB. CFB is just a train that can't be stopped.

I do think noncon basketball, multiple games per week, all over the country with 350 possible opponents, is a unique situation that had no path to be a success.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am The 90's really glorified and marketed the violence of football. NFL Blitz, even Madden ads.

Side note. NFL Blitz was the shit.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

It wasn't just football. Remember MLB Slugfest and NBA Jam?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:31 am Side note. NFL Blitz was the shit.
Yes sir.

I remember going on a college road trip across the US with three buddies in a van with a tiny tv hookup.
Two in the front, passenger to help entertain the driver.
Other two with the N64 hooked up to the tv, NFL Blitz game after game.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:48 am
It wasn't just football. Remember MLB Slugfest and NBA Jam?
Yes, if we are speaking to just the video game context. A lot of that stuff in NFL Blitz, though, you could see on Sundays.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ksu v isu tonight.
hoo-boy.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Haha. KSU going to win. Both teams are garbage.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Iowa State is really bad. Lost to South Dakota State. To Iowa by 30 or so.

How is Prohm going to stay there?

PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:05 pm Iowa State is really bad. Lost to South Dakota State. To Iowa by 30 or so.

How is Prohm going to stay there?
No.