Lance Leipold

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: Lance Leipold

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am Does it matter if it was Weis or Ianello, if Ianello was here and part of it?

But my takeaway from that thing is my gosh, do HS coaches need to get the fuck over theirselves.
High School football coaches (particularly in the Midwest and South) are some of the worst people in their communities and some of the worst leaders and role models for young people.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:29 am Does it matter if it was Weis or Ianello, if Ianello was here and part of it?

But my takeaway from that thing is my gosh, do HS coaches need to get the fuck over theirselves.
They make like an extra $15k to coach on top of their teaching salaries (in Kansas anyway) they're not 6 figure Texas HS football coaches. Their opinion isn't that important.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

I know there is some debate over whether it was Ianello's doing or if it was Ianello just doing what Weis told him, but either way, he was part of it and that's not a good look.

And big agree on that second part. Like the coach from Derby High School who wrote a long 4-page letter crapping all over KU but then telling them they need to hire Ryan Held. Why should anyone at KU believe a former K-State player coaching Derby HS wanting them to hire the RB coach from Nebraska would have KU's best interest in mind? Dude has to have a pretty high opinion of himself to even attempt that.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Really, it doesn't. It isn't like KS or Missouri is a real hot bed for college football talent. What is alarming is how many past KU football coaches have had bad relationships with local high school programs. Now if KU can consistently recruit outside of the Metro then in the long game who cares how many local coaches they piss off but if Leipold is going to go the 'Synder' route of finding lower or unranked local kids and coaching them up it might be wise to not emulate the strategies of past KU coaches. (that sentiment can be applied to all levels. I would rather just forget the last decade of KU football even existed)
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

How high is Ianello's belt now that he's even older, above the nips?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 am

Really, it doesn't. It isn't like KS or Missouri is a real hot bed for college football talent. What is alarming is how many past KU football coaches have had bad relationships with local high school programs. Now if KU can consistently recruit outside of the Metro then in the long game who cares how many local coaches they piss off but if Leipold is going to go the 'Synder' route of finding lower or unranked local kids and coaching them up it might be wise to not emulate the strategies of past KU coaches. (that sentiment can be applied to all levels. I would rather just forget the last decade of KU football even existed)
I know we both spent some time in rural Kansas and those damn hayseeds love them some taters.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

You aint lying, CnB.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:05 am You aint lying, CnB.
Damn it I miss the soil judging guy.
UnholyLivingDead

Here's something interesting I came across. Buffalo hired their new football coach Friday. Here is the current coaching staff listed on their web site:

https://ubbulls.com/sports/football/coaches
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah staff will likely be announced this week. And please, please, please keep Ianello away from the program.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

UnholyLivingDead

I saw that and kind of got my hopes up that maybe Ianello returning to Lawrence isn't such a sure thing. Hope we get an official announcement sooner this week than later.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Saw this stat that Scott Chasen put out recently.

KU allowed most sacks per game last year at 5.22 per game.

Buffalo gave up 1 sack all year last year. Led country in 2019 in least sacks per game as well.

God I want a team that doesn't see their QB beat up all the time. That will do wonders for the success of the program.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 pm Saw this stat that Scott Chasen put out recently.

KU allowed most sacks per game last year at 5.22 per game.

Buffalo gave up 1 sack all year last year. Led country in 2019 in least sacks per game as well.

God I want a team that doesn't see their QB beat up all the time. That will do wonders for the success of the program.
I posted somewhere that the 5.22 per game is the highest by a P5 since 1998.

We also led the entire FBS in TFL's given up.

The problem is easy to see, but not sure how easy it is to fix. Transfers in from Buffalo would help, I honestly think we need the horses.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Strength in numbers for sure. We're going to see a really run heavy offense though. Think the running backs are better than the QB/WR play that we have.

But expect a 2 RB, 1 TE/Hybrid, 2 WR set a lot. Keep defenses honest, but it's going to be heavy run, if I had my guess.

Literally going to have to install entire playbook in a month. Sheesh. I know they all have the playbook right now, and will learn it all summer, still different on the field though.

UnholyLivingDead

If there is one position on this football that is actually in good shape, it's the running backs. Rotate them and run them 40 time per game. That's what Leipold's offense was like in Buffalo, I believe they averaged 43 rushing attempts per game. Especially while this team and its record will probably be pretty bad this fall. Shorten the games, grind down the clock, and take your shots when you get them. That would at least hopefully lead to more competitive games/less ugly blowouts.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Building out the coaching staff is taking forever.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sometimes it does. Especially in this case when you have buyouts to negotiate and whatnot from previous staff. That has not happened as they are all on the KU Football site still. Meanwhile the guys coming here from Buffalo have all been taken off of Buffalo's site. It'll happen all very soon.

Recruiting dead period right now anyway. So no real rush to get a staff in. Players are days away from going home for a few weeks.

UnholyLivingDead

While nothing has been announced, apparently the following names have shown up in the KU employee directory.

https://twitter.com/BentonASmith/status ... 0645656581

https://twitter.com/BentonASmith/status ... 5607762953
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

everyone should be happy there’s no Ianello on that list
UnholyLivingDead

Yep. Looking more and more like we the dodged the Ianello bullet.