Muck Fizzou 2021

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Muck Fizzou 2021

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 am UKs rival is Louisville, not KU.
By this logic then KSU is not a KU rival. You're all twisted up.

Texas has always had two rivals, but the OU one heated up to the biggest after aTm bolted.
I am not twisted up at all.

I said earlier a school/team usually has 1 or 2 rivals, not 5 or 6. And they don't change very frequently, if ever.

UK is our peer. Closest competition/frequent competitor. But not our rival in the same sense as Mizzou.

And Baylor has only been relevant for like a decade. Give me a break on them as a "rival".

Mizzou and KState are the schools young jayhawks are raised by older jayhawks to hate. Not UK. Not Baylor. Not Iowa State LOL.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am Mizzou is much more of a rival at the university level. Proximity, scholarship programs and graduate programs competing for students, alumni working together or against each other, similar schools and similarly ranked, KC vs. STL, Kansas City tax incentive wars, then all the historical civil war stuff.

That has permeated into sports, obviously, but when you don't play and one program sucks, it loses the juice.
The Mizzou game ceased being a rivalry when they left the conference.
No it didn't.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:51 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:46 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 am UKs rival is Louisville, not KU.
By this logic then KSU is not a KU rival. You're all twisted up.

Texas has always had two rivals, but the OU one heated up to the biggest after aTm bolted.
I am not twisted up at all.

I said earlier a school/team usually has 1 or 2 rivals, not 5 or 6. And they don't change very frequently, if ever.

UK is our peer. Closest competition/frequent competitor. But not our rival in the same sense as Mizzou.

And Baylor has only been relevant for like a decade. Give me a break on them as a "rival".

Mizzou and KState are the schools young jayhawks are raised by older jayhawks to hate. Not UK. Not Baylor. Not Iowa State LOL.
Like I said, it is first a rivalry at the university level which comes with proximity and is going to affect households, especially in the KC area.

It's different for individual sports. There's not a big mizzou-kansas rivalry in Volleyball but there is in baseball. I'd say mizzou is still probably Kansas's biggest rival in football, but the competitiveness of that series absolutely plays into it.

Bill Self calls Kentucky a rival all the time, and you've made it quite clear what you think of posters disagreeing with him.
Deleted User 863

If someone asked Bill Self today to rank KUs biggest rivalries he'd start with Mizzou.
Deleted User 863

We can call 10-20 teams "a rival" by the criteria you guys are using, but "our rivals" are Mizzou and KState.

The mizzou hatred by jayhawks is over 100 years old.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

hatred =\= rival

most of us hate wsu too
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am hatred =\= rival
Close competition (peer) = / = rival
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:03 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am hatred =\= rival
Close competition (peer) = / = rival
do you not know how to use a dictionary or read?

competition is part of the actual definition of the word
Deleted User 863

https://kuhistory.ku.edu/articles/rivalry-born

(Tldr version: it ain't about Kentucky Baylor or Iowa State)
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont hate wsu or ksu with nearly the passion that I hate mizzou though.

mizzou isn't the rival they once were with the conference move....but playing them again has stirred my anger for them quickly in a way that no other team can...
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am Mizzou is much more of a rival at the university level. Proximity, scholarship programs and graduate programs competing for students, alumni working together or against each other, similar schools and similarly ranked, KC vs. STL, Kansas City tax incentive wars, then all the historical civil war stuff.

That has permeated into sports, obviously, but when you don't play and one program sucks, it loses the juice.
No it didn't.
To me it did. If you feel differently, that's fine. I guess I just have two categories of "rivals"; historical/proximity rivals and competitive rivals. I'd consider Mizzou and KSU to be historical rivals.
Deleted User 89

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am If someone asked Bill Self today to rank KUs biggest rivalries he'd start with Mizzou.
you ask him the week of the statie game, he’ll say it’s kstate

you ask him the week of a matchup with uk, he’ll say it’s kentucky
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am If someone asked Bill Self today to rank KUs biggest rivalries he'd start with Mizzou.
No he wouldn't.

(I enjoy this illy method of argument)
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:06 am

No it didn't.
To me it did. If you feel differently, that's fine. I guess I just have two categories of "rivals"; historical/proximity rivals and competitive rivals. I'd consider Mizzou and KSU to be historical rivals.
Purdue is a competitive rival this year.

Can't wait to see who our 10-15 rivals are next year!
Deleted User 863

https://kuhistory.ku.edu/articles/rivalry-born

In case you men of 1,000 rivals missed this link....🤣
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:05 am I dont hate wsu or ksu with nearly the passion that I hate mizzou though.

mizzou isn't the rival they once were with the conference move....but playing them again has stirred my anger for them quickly in a way that no other team can...
To this point, if rivalry is about hatred, them mizzou has about 150 rivals, because everyone hates them. They can thank themselves for that because of the people they've historically chosen to run their programs and play for them.
Deleted User 863

Someone should let Duke know that this year they won't have to play UNC for rivalry week because UNC isn't good enough to be considered their rival this year....purdue gonzaga and KU are their rivals this year. 🤣
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

KU-Mizzou is not a rivalry. It's a war... a border war.
Ain't no seats
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:07 am
No he wouldn't.

(I enjoy this illy method of argument)
well played
Deleted User 89

Wiff wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 am KU-Mizzou is not a rivalry. It's a war... a border war.
this is a sentiment i can get behind