Big Dick Energy

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Big Dick Energy

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

His third quarter disappearances are bizarre. Are teams, like, not properly scouting him going into the game, so he lights them up, and then they adjust at halftime?

Could just be coincidence... But the sample size keeps going up.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:49 am Should shoot more.
This.

Self said this is along with the 2nd half lulls are Self’s fault. That’s obviously a little coach speak, but do think he’s ready to start drawing more stuff up for him as the more film gets out there. Same kind of thing happened with Och and our other good shooters.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t recall having run the elevator screen at the top of the key for him, yet
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:17 pm
This.

Self said this is along with the 2nd half lulls are Self’s fault. That’s obviously a little coach speak, but do think he’s ready to start drawing more stuff up for him as the more film gets out there. Same kind of thing happened with Och and our other good shooters.
Dick also hasn’t started shooting from deep very often. He’s got more range than he’s been asked to use so far.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:17 pm
This.

Dick also hasn’t started shooting from deep very often. He’s got more range than he’s been asked to use so far.
You can call me a hater, but a sizeable part of Jalen's usage needs to be shifted over to GD. 6 3PA's per game just isn't enough for GD.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Needs at least 8-10.

The current leaders in CBB average almost 10 3s taken per game. And almost all of those shoot close to or over 40%.

It's a valuable shot, but even more valuable when GD is shooting 49% from 3.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:20 am

This.

You can call me a hater, but a sizeable part of Jalen's usage needs to be shifted over to GD. 6 3PA's per game just isn't enough for GD.
I don't disagree, although there's some semantics to sort. It's not so much that Jalen needs to pull the trigger less, it's that Gradey needs to pull the trigger more, and sooner. I don't have a problem with the shots Jalen's getting at the end of the clock...because (at least at the moment) he's the only guy who can reasonably get his own. It's a problem.

(It is here I will continue griping about Bill burying MJ.)
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:36 am

I don't disagree, although there's some semantics to sort. It's not so much that Jalen needs to pull the trigger less, it's that Gradey needs to pull the trigger more, and sooner. I don't have a problem with the shots Jalen's getting at the end of the clock...because (at least at the moment) he's the only guy who can reasonably get his own. It's a problem.

Seems as though he's taken over for Yes.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm just not a Yesufu fan, at all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I mean.....how much of that is Bills fault really though? He has been injured,then sick, then injured again.

I imagine that during those times he also wasn't able to be conditioning the same as the rest of the team. He might just be behind on his fitness as much as anything. I wouldn't give up on him or start blaming Bill just yet. I get the impression Bill would like to play him,but hea gotta catch up a bit
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:44 am

I mean.....how much of that is Bills fault really though? He has been injured,then sick, then injured again.

I imagine that during those times he also wasn't able to be conditioning the same as the rest of the team. He might just be behind on his fitness as much as anything. I wouldn't give up on him or start blaming Bill just yet. I get the impression Bill would like to play him,but hea gotta catch up a bit
I don't know.

But there are always reasons with the annual doghouse guy.

I'm not saying the reasons are bad or anything, but...he's clearly healthy now. Our March/April ceiling is clearly the highest with him playing and performing well. And the best way for him to play/perform well in March/April is clearly to get floor time before, I don't know, we lose two of three in February.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if he did more than just chuck 3s when gets run he might stay on the floor longer

maybe i’m oversimplifying and he’s done more than i’m remembering…
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

He's averaging 1.3 3FG/game. So, I don't think that's it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:51 am

I don't know.

I'm not saying the reasons are bad or anything, but...he's clearly healthy now. Our March/April ceiling is clearly the highest with him playing and performing well. And the best way for him to play/perform well in March/April is clearly to get floor time before, I don't know, we lose two of three in February.
You assume that Rice is in the doghouse. Maybe he just is behind due to missing so many practices and games.

Any team's ceiling can be defined as being higher when (name a player on their roster) is playing their best. Not having MJ Rice ready in isn't going to be why KU loses two of three. If that happens then it will be because multiple starters all go into a funk at the same time. The notion that the 9th guy in the rotation can magically cover up that if it happens is nonsense and not supported by any reality at all.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:51 am

I don't know.

You assume that Rice is in the doghouse. Maybe he just is behind due to missing so many practices and games.

Any team's ceiling can be defined as being higher when (name a player on their roster) is playing their best. Not having MJ Rice ready in isn't going to be why KU loses two of three. If that happens then it will be because multiple starters all go into a funk at the same time. The notion that the 9th guy in the rotation can magically cover up that if it happens is nonsense and not supported by any reality at all.
That's sort of my point. Of course our February lull won't be because Rice is still playing 10ish minutes/game.

But, for all that's good about this team, it's pretty light on high-end talent. Rice has high-end talent. Our floor and ceiling will BOTH be better if we're bringing the talent we do have along, aggressively.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:26 am Needs at least 8-10.

The current leaders in CBB average almost 10 3s taken per game. And almost all of those shoot close to or over 40%.

It's a valuable shot, but even more valuable when GD is shooting 49% from 3.
There are no good teams that have a player getting up 8-10 3s a game. You have to be a singular elite player on a team with no other real options to get those types of numbers. You also need to play on a team that chucks a LOT more threes per game. The national leader in 3 pt fga per game takes 10 a game and is on a team that has chucked 100 more threes than Kansas on the season. FYI, they're 5-8 on the season so it doesn't seem to be working all that great as a style.