No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:48 pm you don’t like paying $20K for a toilet seat?
I don't like giving $20 million to a defense contractor to build a toilet that they never even built.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:52 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:48 pm you don’t like paying $20K for a toilet seat?
I don't like giving $20 million to a defense contractor to build a toilet that they never even built.
lol…touché
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was gonna make some comment about how boomers have hoarded more wealth than any American generation ever. But, instead, let’s just go with some Twitter replies!)

https://twitter.com/0xal3xc/status/1681 ... 8ZiR9WCcTg

https://twitter.com/jk_seriouslyjk/stat ... 8ZiR9WCcTg
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

kushner gets a $2 BILLION investment in his private equity firm from a Saudi national within 6 months of leaving the White House

nbd
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:01 am kushner gets a $2 BILLION investment in his private equity firm from a Saudi national within 6 months of leaving the White House

nbd
I dont think money means anything to the Saudis anymore....theyre gonna pay Mbappe $700 million (+ 300 million transfer fee) to play soccer for 1 fucking year in their league. Then the LIV stuff. Its insane
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:01 am kushner gets a $2 BILLION investment in his private equity firm from a Saudi national within 6 months of leaving the White House

nbd
I dont think money means anything to the Saudis anymore....theyre gonna pay Mbappe $700 million (+ 300 million transfer fee) to play soccer for 1 fucking year in their league. Then the LIV stuff. Its insane
Money doesn’t mean much to the Saudis because climate-change-denying rubes are willingly sending them a bunch of moolah by filling up their fuel-inefficient SUVs and luxury pickup trucks, just to stick it to the libs! I wouldn’t care about money either, if I was in their place!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:47 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:05 pm

nbd
Money doesn’t mean much to the Saudis because climate-change-denying rubes are willingly sending them a bunch of moolah by filling up their fuel-inefficient SUVs and luxury pickup trucks, just to stick it to the libs! I wouldn’t care about money either, if I was in their place!!
https://youtu.be/A949JshqvbI
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RIP Tafari Campbell

Personal chef to the Obamas found dead after a paddleboreding accident in Martha’s Vineyard
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Has anyone seent anything on this whole coup in Niger or whatever?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

seent?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:52 pm Has anyone seent anything on this whole coup in Niger or whatever?
West Africa has become a major front in the competition between the West and authoritarian regimes. A complex multi-dimensional hybrid war is under way between local military juntas, openly backed by Russia, and our friends. It might be seen as an extension of the war in Ukraine – only in this case, we are ill prepared and liable to lose.

Vladimir Putin and various West African military rulers, such as Ibrahim Traoré, the charismatic 35-year-old leader of Burkina Faso, are now singing from the same hymn sheet. The irony does not seem to have dawned on the junta leaders that, while they claim to be standing up to Western colonialism, they are in fact promoting a new form of imperialism over their continent, strategised in the Kremlin and implemented by Wagner.

The Kremlin’s approach has been utterly ruthless: it provides barefaced support to those who usurp power and deny their people the right to choose their own governments. This is what Putin perversely calls “sovereign democracy” – regimes dependent on foreign mercenaries and subsidies. Meanwhile, Western minds have been focused on other matters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What’s your source there?

Cuz just as matter of factly as I can say so, sounds propagandish
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:07 pm What’s your source there?

Cuz just as matter of factly as I can say so, sounds propagandish
You can take the first sentence of something like that and put it in google and find it yourself.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... nk-of-war/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

You can take the first sentence of something like that and put it in google and find it yourself.

i assumed this was widely known

i caught quite a few plagiarizing students this way when i was teaching
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

Let’s talk “not in western media”

Re: Niger Mali and African coups and such, there’s a narrative that African countries are rejecting colonialism and trying to stand up for themselves and keep their wealth and resources for their own benefit, rather than allow wealth and resources to be funneled to places like France while African countries remain impoverished.

Examples I saw were some sitch where Niger sells uranium to France for like 11 bucks a unit, then France turns around and sells it for like 150 (I don’t remember the exact numbers)

And Mali has tons of gold mines but no gold reserves, while France has tons of gold reserves but no gold mines.

And whenever these stories break in international media, it’s not stories like #StandWithNiger, but rather, “Africa’s bigger risk is being colonized by Russian boogeyman instead”

Meh, I’ll optimistically hope it’s just more Russian propaganda.

Also, there’s a report floating around middle eastern media that the US tried for a deal with the Taliban - the Taliban! - to un-freeze Afghani assets that somehow ended up frozen in western banks, if the Taliban will do some sorta dirty work to try and destabilize Iran.

Sorry, I’m probably just misreading “freedom and democracy” again.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twitter loves you, and thanks you for your patronage
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the narrative i’ve just heard is that what’s happening in africa is the result of 1) individual ambitions of aging generals, and 2) a regional feeling of abandonment by the “west” in the face of terrorist threats from muslim extremists

in the vacuum left by the “west’s” failings, russia (and the wagner group) is more than happy to step in (so long as they’re getting paid) and restore order using whatever tactics they deem necessary