It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: It's Game Day, Ladies and Gentlemen

Post by pdub »

I am very much hoping I somehow get it on ESPN, ESPN 2 or ESPN 3 here but odds prob not good.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

japhy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:37 pm Am I the only one who watches all KU games with the sound off? Most of the time the announcers just annoy me.

Same goes for Chiefs unless Kevin Harlan is calling the game.
I've tried it but there's too much lag with the picture being behind the sound. Can't stand to have things out of sync A/V wise.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:53 pm Not for me. Walton is as bad as they get. He talks nonsense and knows close to nothing about the actual players in the game (unless they are from UCLA).
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClkkzppL ... M4ZDc5MmU=
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I do like the sound on. Most announcers are annoying but I like the crowd noise. I miss being in KC and listening to Max and Bob.
Defense. Rebounds.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 pm No Fran tonight FYI. Couple of guys I haven't heard much about.
As annoying as Fran is, those two guys last night were some serious goobers. Not sure I'd want to watch another game they're calling, some real WTF moments from them.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:18 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:12 pm No Fran tonight FYI. Couple of guys I haven't heard much about.
As annoying as Fran is, those two guys last night were some serious goobers. Not sure I'd want to watch another game they're calling, some real WTF moments from them.
The one dude is Coach K's son in law. If that helps explain anything....
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

One was OK but bush league; the other was a complete tool who actively rooted for Okie State.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

Both were insufferable morons.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Again, Fran ain't that bad. We're just mad because we get him a lot. But he's probably the 3rd best guy ESPN has behind Bilas and Hummel.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

digitalkookie wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:40 am Both were insufferable morons.

^^^^^^^^
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:50 am
Again, Fran ain't that bad. We're just mad because we get him a lot. But he's probably the 3rd best guy ESPN has behind Bilas and Hummel.
No, I am mad at Fran because he is a short little prick who kisses up to fans cheering against Kansas because he likes the attention they give him and has a bias against any of the big programs because he thinks they get favoritism and special treatment by the refs. Short Man Syndrome combined with Small School Syndrome is nauseating.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Weird.

He says plenty of nice things about KU too. But he definitely takes his digs so that other fanbases know he is "unbiased".

And many big programs do get favoritism.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

behind jay bilas. fran is my favorite.

fran is A team. last night we got the c team.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

aside from program biases, my biggest annoyance with fran is his excessive attempts to prove he’s got street cred/connections

he’s absolutely a name-dropper, be it people or places

Bilas does no such thing, and comes off as being both more knowledgeable and likeable (imo)
Last edited by KUTradition on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:04 am

No, I am mad at Fran because he is a short little prick who kisses up to fans cheering against Kansas because he likes the attention they give him and has a bias against any of the big programs because he thinks they get favoritism and special treatment by the refs. Short Man Syndrome combined with Small School Syndrome is nauseating.
I guess announcers just don't bother me that much. I know enough to be able to see and digest what I'm watching. I feel like being concerned about announcers and biases is a small-program minded way of thinking. I'm just happy we're on National TV for 25 out of 30 games. Not many other programs get that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 am

I guess announcers just don't bother me that much. I know enough to be able to see and digest what I'm watching. I feel like being concerned about announcers and biases is a small-program minded way of thinking. I'm just happy we're on National TV for 25 out of 30 games. Not many other programs get that.
Some people can ignore them, some cannot. I am very mentally hyperactive these days and get easily distracted by stupid or inaccurate comments by announcers so watching a game called by Fran can be very mentally agitating for me personally. It's not a matter of being small-minded. An example of being small-minded is not taking into account that other people view games through a different lens than your own. The best games for me personally are when I have no idea who called the game because I do not notice the announcers at all.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:25 am aside from program biases, my biggest annoyance with fran is his excessive attempts to prove he’s got street cred/connections

he’s absolutely a name-dropper, be it people or places

Bilas does no such thing, and comes off as being both more knowledgeable and likeable (imo)
If Bilas turned off the pot shots at other announcers or studio hosts and turned down the "yes, I am the greatest" shtick then he would be perfect for me. Knowledgeable and doesn't step all over the game to tell some random story that no one cares about and that adds nothing to the broadcast of the game being played.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Get outta bed you hungover loosers, it's GameDay!
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The days we have basketball games, (especially home games on "TV"), are better.

You heard it here, first.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 am

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:17 am Weird.

He says plenty of nice things about KU too. But he definitely takes his digs so that other fanbases know he is "unbiased".

And many big programs do get favoritism.
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:20 am
fran is A team. last night we got the c team.
^^^

What Newton, Illy, and Mich said.

Just my opinion, but if you don't think KU gets preferential treatment from announcers and refs more often than not, and especially at Home, we might be watching different games. Do they get the exact opposite at times? Yes, but to me, (much like what I think Fran is often doing), the refs are attempting to make sure opposing fans, who are almost always underdogs, won't feel as if they are biased in favor of the blue blood.

I could be wrong.

It doesn't occur to me to turn the sound off.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas