F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
PortlandHawk

Re: F the NCAA

Post by PortlandHawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm Official from NCAA now that the KU case will be heard by new IARP committee.

No time frame on decision or process from here.
Don’t they aim for faster decisions?
kujayhawkfan

Post by kujayhawkfan »

PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm Official from NCAA now that the KU case will be heard by new IARP committee.

THE lAPP IS NOT WITH THE NCAA
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DID BLACKMILD FORGET HIM PASSWORD ?
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

kujayhawkfan donin' big things you digg?!
Ain't no seats
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

kujayhawkfan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:32 am

That doesn’t answer my question. Does the IARP aim for faster decisions than the NCAA standard process?
kujayhawkfan

Post by kujayhawkfan »

PortlandHawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 pm

That doesn’t answer my question. Does the IARP aim for faster decisions than the NCAA standard process?
IF THE IAPP MAKE A DECISIONS THEN IT FINAL FROM THEM
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Boy oh boy
Ain't no seats
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Finally we're getting the answers we need.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

PortlandHawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Yes. That is 1 of their goals along with having less conflicts of interest.

....but even though they are separate of the NCAA they still enforce the NCAA rules as written. Their decisions aren't influenced by whether they think the rules are fair or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how objective they’ll be...
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 pm I wonder how objective they’ll be...
About what?

I don't think any lack of consistency in the past is going to mean that they just do nothing now in an effort to maintain consistent inconsistency....but i do think they'll (the ncaa and iapp) be more consistent moving forward (not sure if that is good for us in this instance though).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

To me, unless Duke is first, then KU should not submit to any of this. “What really happened” being easiest to gauge by starting from the end and working back. And this was how everyone played the game. The problem was the NCAA allowed this until it became a federal court case then went on the defensive. Clutching pearls.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

consistent inconsistency lol
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Again, I don’t disagree, but saying ‘it’s how everyone played the game’ is the absolute worst.

Other kids were doing it. I hate that shit.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:08 pm consistent inconsistency lol
Seemed fitting/true for the ncaa historically.
Deleted User 310

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:49 pm To me, unless Duke is first, then KU should not submit to any of this. “What really happened” being easiest to gauge by starting from the end and working back. And this was how everyone played the game. The problem was the NCAA allowed this until it became a federal court case then went on the defensive. Clutching pearls.
Well they didn't really "allow" it. They were just really bad at consistently catching people. Like really bad. So they only enforced it when it was easy to catch and/or if schools admitted to doing it....which is a piss poor way to enforce "rules", but it is also somewhat irrelevant at this point since now they've decided they're going to be harsh on schools caught up in the fbi stuff it appears.

They (ncaa) don't have the resources to consistently discover/catch rules infractions. They can't wiretap phones of coaches and shoe company employees. If they could (like the fbi did) they would catch way more of this stuff...just look at how much was discovered by 6-12+ months of FBI monitoring of a select few individuals. Can you imagine how many more people there are when you factor in other brands and other sports such as football. Hundreds more people/coaches/players easily.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Members of the panel, of which five will be chosen:

https://iarpcc.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... ebsite.pdf

I actually know one of the attorneys on the panel, Jeff Benz. I knew him from back when I lived in Detroit in my early teens. He has been involved in sports law cases for a long time and was one of the investigators in the Salt Lake City Olympic bidding scandal. Very intelligent and from what I have read, has a great reputation in sports arbitration law. His younger sister Julie is my age and an actress who has appeared in several shows and films many here have likely seen.

There are lots of links to good info on the process and the panel if anyone is interested: https://iarpcc.org
Deleted User 310

So from what i can tell there is 1 member of the ncaa enforcement staff as part of the complex case unit....so they aren't totally separate of the ncaa I guess?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:00 pm So from what i can tell there is 1 member of the ncaa enforcement staff as part of the complex case unit....so they aren't totally separate of the ncaa I guess?
The complex case unit appears to be an investigative unit that would submit allegations. It makes sense that if they are charged with investigating ncaa infractions that they would have to have an ncaa representative. KU's case is not in that portion of the group. The ncaa handled our allegations investigation and our case is now before the Independent Resolution Panel from what I can tell. That is the portion of the group that has no ncaa ties.

From the site:
"The Independent Resolution Panel reviews the allegations issued by the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. It then conducts a hearing, decides whether violations occurred and prescribes penalties. The panel consists of 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds. Once a case is referred to the IARP, a hearing panel consisting of five Independent Resolution Panel members is generated."
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:37 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:00 pm So from what i can tell there is 1 member of the ncaa enforcement staff as part of the complex case unit....so they aren't totally separate of the ncaa I guess?
The complex case unit appears to be an investigative unit that would submit allegations. It makes sense that if they are charged with investigating ncaa infractions that they would have to have an ncaa representative. KU's case is not in that portion of the group. The ncaa handled our allegations investigation and our case is now before the Independent Resolution Panel from what I can tell. That is the portion of the group that has no ncaa ties.

From the site:
"The Independent Resolution Panel reviews the allegations issued by the Complex Case Unit and the school’s response to those allegations. It then conducts a hearing, decides whether violations occurred and prescribes penalties. The panel consists of 15 members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds. Once a case is referred to the IARP, a hearing panel consisting of five Independent Resolution Panel members is generated."
From what I can decipher the complex case unit doesn't "submit allegations"...

From the site:

"The Complex Case Unit includes both external investigators and advocates with no school or conference affiliations as well as one member of the enforcement staff. Independent investigators and advocates are a vital part of the new process. When a case is referred to the independent structure, the Complex Case Unit will assess whether further investigation of the facts is needed. The unit then will conduct any additional investigation and shepherd the case through its review by the Independent Resolution Panel."

So basically they are there to decide if further investigation is needed or if they have enough facts for the independant panel to make a ruling.