‘21 Draft

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: ‘21 Draft

Post by Mjl »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:15 pm I thought this was interesting from Matt Norlander:

"The terribly kept secret in NBA circles for the past two years is no longer a secret. Butler has an undisclosed heart condition that's currently preventing him from doing any sanctioned NBA activity, as a Fitness-to-Play panel is reviewing his eligibility."
That sucks. I really like watching him play as long as it's not against Kansas. What's with Baylor players and heart conditions.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Great college player.
Bummed if he cant find a spot in the nba.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Cade can shoot. simmons can't. that alone makes a huge difference in todays game
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So are there any mocks with Garrett on it?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:10 pm So are there any mocks with Garrett on it?
CBS Sports: No. 61
The Athletic. (via Sam Vecenie): No. 64
NBADraft.net: No. 69
ESPN (via DraftExpress): No. 78
The Ringer (via Kevin O'Connor): Not ranked (top 70 were listed)
Tankathon: Not ranked (top 74 were listed)
SI.com (via Jeremy Woo): Not ranked (top 80 were listed)

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 168392519/
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Man. He'll be watching all night.

Really hope he sneaks in. He's not the worst guy to take late second by any means.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pm Man. He'll be watching all night.

Really hope he sneaks in. He's not the worst guy to take late second by any means.
Garrett?

What can he do well at the NBA level? He can't play that small ball 4 against those guys. He'd get eaten alive. I suppose he wouldn't frequently be matched up with starters, but still.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Came across this article…couple bits about KU, though not huge surprises.

Perhaps the huge surprise is how highly the article speaks of this guy’s pro potential.
“[At Kansas] I was looking too far ahead instead of just taking it day by day, and that’s kind of what got me off-track, probably,” Grimes says. “Saying, ‘I’ll be here for like three more months, and then I’m out.’ ”

“We needed his talent, but he needed what our program’s culture was about. And that was being hard-nosed, being tough, defending and rebounding.” Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson says. “I think Quentin always thought that was for the [peons]. That’s for the regular guys. I’m a star. I don’t need rebounding.

On the Jayhawks, Grimes was fidgety. The quickness was there, but it was rarely harnessed with a purpose. He shot just 44% at the basket, or about 20% below what the NBA average was this season.

The struggle was amplified in rare instances when he found himself playing off a ball screen or in isolation. According to Synergy Sports, Grimes finished 3-for-21 scoring out of the pick-and-roll and 4-for-12 in iso situations. That production for an entire season totaled 18 points.
It goes in to talk him up quite a bit, and of course his Coach fluffs. Apparently he impresses James Harden too?

But it also seems to describe him as all these things but not, all at once - a 3 and D but not, a ballhandler athlete to gets to the rim but not, and stuff?

And several times it seems to bring up the Kansas system as the thing that held him back…

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/28/quent ... raft-stock
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:05 pm

Garrett?

What can he do well at the NBA level? He can't play that small ball 4 against those guys. He'd get eaten alive. I suppose he wouldn't frequently be matched up with starters, but still.

Defend, obviously.

And, while I definitely would not bet on Garret's shot getting better--from what he showed in college, I would have said the same thing about Lou Dort.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Garrett?

Defend, obviously.

And, while I definitely would not bet on Garret's shot getting better--from what he showed in college, I would have said the same thing about Lou Dort.
Dort is sort of a freak athlete isn't he?

I lost a lot of faith in Garretts ability to defend after watching this year. He looks great against slow unskilled 4s, but his senior year he wasn't as good against faster smaller guards...in the NBA they'll be bigger faster and more skilled. Just don't think its even remotely realistic for him to have a path to the NBA. Hope i am wrong, but i don't think it'll happen. But he will make 6 figures over seas for many years if he chooses.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Garrett?

Defend, obviously.

I lost a lot of faith in Garretts ability to defend after watching this year. He looks great against slow unskilled 4s, but his senior year he wasn't as good against faster smaller guards...in the NBA they'll be bigger faster and more skilled. Just don't think its even remotely realistic for him to have a path to the NBA. Hope i am wrong, but i don't think it'll happen. But he will make 6 figures over seas for many years if he chooses.
You should really read again what I first posted. We are talking about a pick in the 50's, even late 50's. The very vast majority of those picks don't make it in the NBA.

Those are the types of players that Garrett will be competing with for a draft spot. You're acting like I called him a sure thing. There are 0 sure things available there. It's a flier pick spot and he's one of many flier picks. Among those peers, he has a great argument for being the best defender. (And that's how Dort caught on)
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:21 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Defend, obviously.

You should really read again what I first posted. We are talking about a pick in the 50's, even late 50's. The very vast majority of those picks don't make it in the NBA.

Those are the types of players that Garrett will be competing with for a draft spot. You're acting like I called him a sure thing. There are 0 sure things available there. It's a flier pick spot and he's one of many flier picks. Among those peers, he has a great argument for being the best defender. (And that's how Dort caught on)
Sorry. I wasn't acting (or at least not trying to) like you called him a sure thing, i know you weren't classifying him as that. I don't see upside even in the 50s, but i hope i am wrong. We will find out in a few hours.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So then, you disagree (vehemently) with this. Not completely sure why, but ok.
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:57 pmHe's not the worst guy to take late second by any means.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not saying this is MG’s likely route, but...

http://cnn.com/2017/04/14/sport/gallery ... index.html

(i think this was CnB’s point)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm not saying this is MG’s likely route, but...

I am not trying to shoot the messenger, but there are several lotto picks in that list, lol.

With Garrett, again, I don't expect this to happen at all, but what if he just weirdly starts making all of his 3's? Unlike Frank Mason only being like 5'11", that is something that can change.
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm not saying this is MG’s likely route, but...

I hear you. Although half that list was 1st rounders.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Dort went undrafted tho. He had to sign a 2 way contract play some in the g league and work his way into a spot on a shitty rebuilding OKC team. he was also younger I think he only played one year in college. more athletic and thicker/stronger than garrett. but garrett is probably longer
Deleted User 863

Article on MG...not sure if it's been posted...

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Ar ... 168392519/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I posted that 52 minutes ago
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I personally think Garrett has no chance of ever playing in the league. which is sad. because he has tools to be a good defender at the NBA level. but in todays NBA you absolutely have to be able to shoot. especially as a guard. so its unlikely any team gives him a serious look or much of an opportunity