Another mass shooting

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:01 pm I think there is an assumption that one has to be mentally ill to kill someone. It is not 1850. Killing citizens has been normalized now. Are all the people in your video games in military uniforms?

c’mon, DP…you’re seriously bringing video games into this?

i’ve been gaming for 30 years, and never have i considered doing something like this

scapegoating is a bad look
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:36 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:51 am and don’t even get Qusdahl started on the issue of white supremacy
I find it so pathetic that the thing about them that these people think makes them so much better than others is something they have zero control over. Whether you are black or white is pretty much a function of who your Mom is and who she had sex with. I haven't seen a lot of white supremacists that had anything they were in control of be something to brag about.
If the Buffalo shooter was, say, some dood named Mohammed with some radical mooslim insignia plastered all over his outfit, or a black dood with BLM written on his gun, what would the reaction be?

Would some bigger connections be suspected? Would there be allegations the shooter was part of some bigger organized something? Would the shooter have so easily fallen through the cracks of the watchdogs meant to catch these types?
I won't speculate as I don't have anything to base it off of. We just haven't seen many cases like that so I don't know what the reaction might be.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:10 pm Yesterday I accidentally saw a video of normal people from my community buying groceries getting gunned down with a gun that is only designed as a people killer (illegally modified to kill even faster). I was just scrolling twitter. I was shocked that it was up for anyone to happen across. I did not go looking for it. I was just scrolling. It had a hundreds/thousands of comments (mostly (and I had to look this up) were just people downloading it).

Why are people downloading it?
After the shock and horror of knowing it was not Hollywood magic, it looks just like Hollywood.
(except that things happened faster; the shooter was a better shot than ever written in scripts, and good did not win over evil).

The point being, we are normalized to seeing people in street clothes falling to the grown from bullets, so why the emphasis on mental health as if pulling a trigger on a person in street clothes is such a far flung concept.
If you were shocked to see it then we aren't normalized to seeing it. I would have been shocked and horrified to see it, too.

I will still never forget the sights and sounds of witnessing people dying on 9/11. It's been more than 20 years and I still feel like that day changed me.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I was shocked that the real thing was up for anyone to happen upon
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

KUTradition wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:04 pm
DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:01 pm I think there is an assumption that one has to be mentally ill to kill someone. It is not 1850. Killing citizens has been normalized now. Are all the people in your video games in military uniforms?

i’ve been gaming for 30 years, and never have i considered doing something like this

Gosh no! I didn't mean to point a finger directly at video games (that nearly all countries have) and say they are the cause of well-planned mass killings in the USA. I only used video games as one example to illustrate that killing people is fairly normalized here and, in fact, has become child's play (despite the ignored warning labels on video games).
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I think there was a page or two here on mental health and I am questioning if we can really say the issue is a mental health one. Diagnosing mental health is not easy. Every little hick town doesn't have a Quantico team of PhDs on staff to support the high school guidance counselor's office. And that is only referencing the high school kids who probably do not hide things as well as the adults. I guess, I posit that some are making mental health the scapegoat.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Gosh no! I didn't mean to point a finger directly at video games (that nearly all countries have) and say they are the cause of well-planned mass killings in the USA. I only used video games as one example to illustrate that killing people is fairly normalized here and, in fact, has become child's play (despite the ignored warning labels on video games).
gotcha. sorry i assumed wrongly

i do agree that there is a normalization, but it’s been a process in the works for decades

there seems to be something unique about these times in particular…say, the 2000s (tho Columbine was 1999)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:47 pm I think there was a page or two here on mental health and I am questioning if we can really say the issue is a mental health one. Diagnosing mental health is not easy. Every little hick town doesn't have a Quantico team of PhDs on staff to support the high school guidance counselor's office. And that is only referencing the high school kids who probably do not hide things as well as the adults. I guess, I posit that some are making mental health the scapegoat.
that’s definitely not the only issue at play

i brought it up in the context of this particular shooter having made previous threats and even being investigated. those are the kinds of actions. think should be flagged as a “mental health” problem (and restricted from gun ownership), regardless of whether he could actually be diagnosed with a clinical condition…that’s a whole other conversation
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Video games are played all over the world yet somehow, the US seems to be the only country with a major mass shooting and gun violence issue.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

well, we are the only country that has the access to guns
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:47 pm I think there was a page or two here on mental health and I am questioning if we can really say the issue is a mental health one. Diagnosing mental health is not easy. Every little hick town doesn't have a Quantico team of PhDs on staff to support the high school guidance counselor's office. And that is only referencing the high school kids who probably do not hide things as well as the adults. I guess, I posit that some are making mental health the scapegoat.
You are correct that it is just one of many contributing factors. It may be the primary factor for one shooter while have little bearing for another, although I'd argue that something has to be mentally off kilter to walk into a grocery store with the intent to kill as many people as possible. Call it "mental illness", a "mental defect" or a "mental deficiency". Whatever. There is a fundamental issue with these types of mass shooters.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:54 pm well, we are the only country that has the access to guns
Not sure if serious.... what do you mean?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:58 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:54 pm well, we are the only country that has the access to guns
Not sure if serious.... what do you mean?
no other country has anywhere near the level of access to guns that the US does

i’m talking all kinds of access

i know some countries have more lax laws, but no country has more guns or guns per capita
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s comical to look at graphs of global gun data

the US almost always stands out as an outlier (and not in a good way)
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

It has been said Ad nauseam, that every country similar to us (think Canada, Australia, etc) has the same stuff we have: problems with poverty, increased mental illness, increased broken homes, drug addiction, video games, racial issues, decreasing church attendance, insert your idea here, rap music, boredom, etc. The obvious difference being that US citizens have easy access to weapons of mass destruction.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:31 pm I was shocked that the real thing was up for anyone to happen upon
Seems the governor of texas wants it that way. Also he wants all kinds of hate speech to be allowed on twitter, facebook, etc. Just unbelievable to me.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

decreasing church attendance is.....a problem?

rap music and video games. sheesh.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

something about correlation vs causation…
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

TDub wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:24 pm decreasing church attendance is.....a problem?

rap music and video games. sheesh.
I’m trying to have an adult conversation (I just ignore 1 poster not to be named). I left a blank for you to put in whatever you wanted to. I tried to put down a bunch of things to fit all people as examples. It’s not a goddamn dissertation nor congressional report. I could have listed left-handedness and wearing contact lenses too. All the countries have those the same as the USA does. I’m not saying that wearing contact lenses causes terrorism (geesh )
Last edited by DrPepper on Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Has to be the rap music and testosterone.

We should be working to lower testosterone levels and listening to Taylor Swift. Nobody ever shot up a mall listening to T Swift.

https://youtu.be/AgFeZr5ptV8

...on second thought, she's been making songs with those rappers!

https://youtu.be/QcIy9NiNbmo