F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

Zona self imposes ban for this season.
Can we say we self imposed a ban last season?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The lack of institutional control is projecting on the part of the NCAA
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At this point it makes absolutely no sense to self impose any sanctions unless your athletic dept is just completely broke and/or you think you’re completely fucked in your case.

The NCAA is like a boxer in the 12th round that is just going to fall down.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:07 pm At this point it makes absolutely no sense to self impose any sanctions unless your athletic dept is just completely broke and/or you think you’re completely fucked in your case.

I can’t take my eye off the relative incentives, either.

KU has no incentive to back down, other than the cost of continuing the fight. Unless a settled penalty gets into a more reasonable zone (no postseason ban, no stripped records).

The NCAA, conversely, has little incentive to continue the fight. You’re going to pay to stay in the mud on this, when everyone knows that, one way or the other, it will very soon be legal for kids/schools to do substantially what was done at KU? That makes no sense.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:08 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:07 pm At this point it makes absolutely no sense to self impose any sanctions unless your athletic dept is just completely broke and/or you think you’re completely fucked in your case.

I can’t take my eye off the relative incentives, either.

KU has no incentive to back down, other than the cost of continuing the fight. Unless a settled penalty gets into a more reasonable zone (no postseason ban, no stripped records).

The NCAA, conversely, has little incentive to continue the fight. You’re going to pay to stay in the mud on this, when everyone knows that, one way or the other, it will very soon be legal for kids/schools to do substantially what was done at KU? That makes no sense.
Right? The thing NCAA used to have over all these schools is money. They had endless money to throw at cases and win just because the schools that they went against couldn't match that. Now with this messed up year, no March Madness to give them huge money and so on, they don't have near the funds as they usually do and now they have to pick their battles.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's also no deterrence incentive. By twisting the knife in KU, you're making other schools think twice about...doing what the law and the NCAA will soon say is fine?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah NCAA has no timing or momentum or...anyone? on their side.

but with that said, I've been wondering about this, and feel like it would only be par for the course for them to bring the hammer down on us the same week, say, the Supreme Court tells them they're a bunch of crooks.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:58 am yeah NCAA has no timing or momentum or...anyone? on their side.

but with that said, I've been wondering about this, and feel like it would only be par for the course for them to bring the hammer down on us the same week, say, the Supreme Court tells them they're a bunch of crooks.
That's the part that is worrisome. Ya know this committee is supposedly neutral and not directly affiliated with the NCAA, but there's no guarantee that there won't be any influence.

I think that the NCAA would love nothing more than to really bring the hammer down a few more times before they are theoretically irrelevant on their original plan.. And Kansas is the top dog.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, in my hypo, wouldn't that timing be quite the egg on the face of the NCAA?

like if they hammer us right around the same time the court says, "you guys can't do that"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:08 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:58 am yeah NCAA has no timing or momentum or...anyone? on their side.

That's the part that is worrisome. Ya know this committee is supposedly neutral and not directly affiliated with the NCAA, but there's no guarantee that there won't be any influence.

I think that the NCAA would love nothing more than to really bring the hammer down a few more times before they are theoretically irrelevant on their original plan.. And Kansas is the top dog.
But all "they" are is a heat shield for membership. No matter the animus within the administrative ranks, if membership doesn't want to press the right, "they" won't press the fight.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I can hear the recruiting pitches already:

"No, sorry, you can't have a second packet of ketchup for you burger, but come check out the flight simulator!"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

2x recording studios, too!

so how’s it work if a student ath-o-lete cuts a hit song?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Ask Royce Woolridge.

I'm sorry. I mean, ask Young Dad.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm 2x recording studios, too!

so how’s it work if a student ath-o-lete cuts a hit song?
It's on campus so proceeds go the University.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

The NCAA with we just going to put our head in the sand move

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... xemptions/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It sure seems weapons-grade dumb to say "screw it, let's let the government make the rules."
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

It sure does seem dumb but the NCAA wants no parts in any of this stuff. Delay, delay, delay and hope someone does it for them.
Holidaysmore - 2005
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

It seems that the NCAA was all set to make a few changes when they got a letter sent from the Justice Department to NCAA president Mark Emmert on Friday. This letter basically told them
Hey YOU DUMBASS YOU are fucked

LOL
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not convinced at all that the original "we're going to vote on this NIL stuff" was not a bunch of bullshit from the beginning knowing they would delay and appeal the case(s) all the way up.