Another mass shooting

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 am
TDub wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 am lol. thats what 90% of this boards amazing hot takes are based on.

id venture to guess your take is based primarily on where you live and the media sources you follow. The media has hopped on this train of thought and is running with it full force.

and yes. twitter, Facebook, instagram etc should all go away. I'm with ya there.
My "take" on it is based on the Census. I have no fear of it because it is irrelevant to my everyday life other than that the people around me will likely become more diverse over time. I look forward to that as more diversity brings more unique points of view, which helps evolves our communities.
theres a census that asks if white people are concerned about being a minority?
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am
twocoach wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:13 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:55 am The segment of white people afraid of becoming a minority is increasingly small. Such a small segment of our population. I have never heard a single white person I know say anything even remotely close to that. I mostly hear about that topic from white libs on twitter.
You should do some research instead of basing it off of your own personal experience where you live and your twitter feed.

And White Americans will become a minority in this country sooner rather than later. It's not some myth; it is a statistical fact based on census projections.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-aven ... -projects/
Did I say white people WOULDN'T become a minority? No, I didn't.

I said the segment of white people that think that's some significant negative that they are extremely worried about is small.
A small number of racist scumbags is too many racist scumbags. And it has been proven in numerous studies that the numbers in these racist groups are growing, not shrinking.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

#alternativefacts
#fakenews
#wokeliberalmedia

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 am
TDub wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:14 am lol. thats what 90% of this boards amazing hot takes are based on.

id venture to guess your take is based primarily on where you live and the media sources you follow. The media has hopped on this train of thought and is running with it full force.

and yes. twitter, Facebook, instagram etc should all go away. I'm with ya there.
My "take" on it is based on the Census. I have no fear of it because it is irrelevant to my everyday life other than that the people around me will likely become more diverse over time. I look forward to that as more diversity brings more unique points of view, which helps evolves our communities.
I had made no "take" on whether the number of people concerned about being a minority were growing or shrinking so I assumed that you were speaking about what I actually posted. My bad.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:22 am
twocoach wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:13 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:55 am The segment of white people afraid of becoming a minority is increasingly small. Such a small segment of our population. I have never heard a single white person I know say anything even remotely close to that. I mostly hear about that topic from white libs on twitter.
You should do some research instead of basing it off of your own personal experience where you live and your twitter feed.

And White Americans will become a minority in this country sooner rather than later. It's not some myth; it is a statistical fact based on census projections.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-aven ... -projects/
Did I say white people WOULDN'T become a minority? No, I didn't.

I said the segment of white people that think that's some significant negative that they are extremely worried about is small.
"small". Any guess on a number? 10? 100? 1,000? 10,000? 100,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000? 100,000,000?
My guess is it's more than you think/assume.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I haven't seen that question on my census survey. Or find that % on census.gov
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am

I had made no "take" on whether the number of people concerned about being a minority were growing or shrinking so I assumed that you were speaking about what I actually posted. My bad.
what? thats what lily's take was about. You directly responded to him telling him not to base his takes off of Twitter.

I responded to you directly about that post.....

then you move on to the census...
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am

And I made no take on whether white people were or weren't trending towards becoming a minority so I assumed you'd respond to what I actually posted.

My bad.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“lily's take”

:lol:

spot on
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this is why proxies are used to try and get an idea about such things

they aren’t perfect, but they’re the best option available
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Imagine last Saturday's Buffalo terrorist attack at a Tops grocery store happened in your community (like you live in Overland Park and it happened in Lenexa or you live in Lawrence and it happened in North Lawrence). What do you do now- a week later? Do you do anything? Do you light a candle at a vigil? Drive people to the grocery store? Sign people up to vote? Donate some food. Burn down a building? March in the street? Give to a civic organization? Pray a lot? Just retweet stuff on twitter? Just move on? Try to never forget? Can you even try to make this not happen again?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: “burn down a building”

history suggests revolutions and material changes just don’t occur unless there’s violence involved.

Whether it’s a political and gummint revolution of the state, or an advancement of civil rights, the observation may be valid.

But I wouldn’t know, since I never understand anything deeper than meme level.

And just to be clear, I remain a nonviolent peace love type
Deleted User 863

What building should be burned down? The guys parents house?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm not saying any building should be burned down.

maybe what I'm saying is, in response to Dr's question about do we do anything, whatever it is that will be done will likely just be performative gestures and token nothings.

heck, did we really change anything about policing after George Floyd was lynched? Even with the protests and violence.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 pm heck, did we really change anything about policing after George Floyd was lynched? Even with the protests and violence.
Umm, yes?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I think some things have changed since George Floyd and all the attention it got. Perhaps those local vigils brought media attention that brought eyes from across the nation to the issue. But while there is some overlap, there are clear differences between the crimes that George Floyd's murder represents and the terrorist attack in Buffalo. The terrorist's rant claims racism and white supremacy. My issue is that I am getting invites to continually go to vigils and I feel like they are pointless. Maybe they are not.
Or maybe vigils are supposed to be about the victims and not the crime (I honestly do not know).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

continually? I dont think I've ever been invited to an actual vigil. But, then again I try keep to myself and don't socialize with a ton of people.

in my opinion a vigil is 100% in honor of the victim.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I live on the edge of Buffalo proper so there have been a lot of vigils around here lately.
I looked up a Lawrence map to find a reference for you. Tragically, the distance to the Hy-Vee on Clinton Parkway is marred by the fact that people were shot at that grocery store this week too! My home is <5 miles to the tragic Tops in Buffalo so maybe you can imagine Free State Brewery to Clinton Parkway Hy-Vee.

Buffalo is not like most cities. It has some 18-hr city stuff like great museums and pro sports teams, but it is actually not that big. 20 minutes gets you most anywhere by car. And the neighborhoods have character. No cookie-cutter areas here.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Vigils are to make those that attend feel better. If you think it will help you, go. Seems like you think that attending one will not result in anything substantial happening. I tend to agree with you.

Though, I think it does raise awareness and send the message that a large amount of the community does not support these racists. It also shows some community support for the victims' families.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i actually thought Buffalo was bigger…very similar in size to SLC (proper and metro)