Bad news, Leawood

Kansas Football.
ChalkRocker

Re: Bad news, Leawood

Post by ChalkRocker »

Not tryin' to bag on you, chikn.

Talkin' to the sky, I guess...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:38 pm I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a PITA, but this discussion is why I don't linger more.

FB prgms grow slowly. They just do. Beaty is a f***ing MAN of a coach.

He took a job which, for a hundred reasons, looked like career hell.

No flippin' schollies, a fanbase which acts like it don't know jack and don't care, and an AD that gets smoked halfway into his contract.

I am FOR this guy, this TEAM, and all of you as well. Go Jayhawks! It is that simple.

As I've stated multiple times on here and on .net. I am a Beaty guy. Was from the start. I thought he was the perfect hire to get the program on somewhat of the right track again. With it being getting scholarship numbers back up to FBS standards, recruiting some great talent, and having this program in some sort of stability in regards to not having a new coach after 2 years. This fanbase owes quite a bit to him based on those facts.

However... There is also the fact of the gameday coaching not being up to par. The constant conservative coaching with wasting TOs on a 4th and 3 before ALWAYS punting.

The 2 fired OC he has had with Likens and Meacham. It's like an AD, probably don't get a shot at a 3rd hire. Not to mention the turnover on the staff as a whole.

The lack of scholarships (About 15 or so instead of 25) for this year's class due to him using the blueshirt shirt rules for quite a few guys.

The record not being good at all despite this being the most talented team KU has had in 5 years.

I like Beaty a lot. The dude was perfect for Kansas at the perfect time in terms of doing the small things to get the program back to some level of FBS football. But there is better out there, and we will likely see it next year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ChalkRocker wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:40 pm Not tryin' to bag on you, chikn.

Talkin' to the sky, I guess...
No worries.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Beaty is 6-38 and 2-30 in conference.
I get why people like the guy but it's almost four years.
You need actual results in four years.

3-9 isn't results.
jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:19 am Beaty is 6-38 and 2-30 in conference.
I get why people like the guy but it's almost four years.
You need actual results in four years.

3-9 isn't results.
Agreed. My opinion and $5 will get you a drink at Starbucks but IMHO nothing short of a bowl game is acceptable to delay his pink slip. I don't care which bowl, even the Idaho Potato Bowl would be OK. But we have to win 3 of our last 4 to be eligible and I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Again, I sympathize with the guy. His first two years were exactly what you should expect from someone willing to take over a dumpster of a program. KU has never had consistent success in football. But how a Division I program fell to the level Weiss took it is inexcusable.

I still think he's gone within 48 hours of the final game of the year. But whoever takes over will have Beaty to thank for not having to go through the same thing.

The next big assignment is trying to get a guy to stay here for 10 years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's rare but you can get in with a 5-7 record ( 2017 North Texas, Miss State ).
A five win season and I would be fine with retaining Beaty -- that would show strong improvement on years prior.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 am It's rare but you can get in with a 5-7 record ( 2017 North Texas, Miss State ).
A five win season and I would be fine with retaining Beaty -- that would show strong improvement on years prior.
I don't even think I would be OK with a 5 win campaign in terms of keeping him.

This program needs something more than 5 wins being tops of a coach. We need 5 wins to be average. With some 7 win seasons in there mixed in with some bad years of 4 wins.

Long has been eerily quiet when it comes to congratulating the football team on twitter. He says all sorts of stuff about volleyball, soccer, basketball and whatnot. But after the win Saturday, not a word was said by him.

He knows what he's going to decide when it comes to the end of the year. He won't say anything about supporting Beaty, and then turn around and fire him. He's staying quiet until the pink slip is shown.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The last time we had 5 wins was in 2009.
I think it wouldn't be unreasonable, if Beaty could manage to get 5 wins, to think he could get 6 wins next season.
I think this is moot however - I think ISU is a better team than KU.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My opinion hasn't changed - I think you fire Beaty the minute you're confident you've got the guy. If that's tomorrow, ok. If that's not until the 2019 offseason, that's ok too.

What you can't do is make a move to just make a move, and cost yourself another 3+ seasons with a bad hire.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am The last time we had 5 wins was in 2009.
I think it wouldn't be unreasonable, if Beaty could manage to get 5 wins, to think he could get 6 wins next season.
I think this is moot however - I think ISU is a better team than KU.
Agreed. I see 0-4 to finish out - I hope not, but it's realistic.

With 4 wins, this program doesn't look as desperate. A new coach would appreciate stepping into something that isn't a 5-year rebuild. Again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I see us keeping up with Iowa State and ksu but ultimately falling.
Even being competitive in those games but still finishing with 3 wins isn't enough.
If either one of those was a blowout then we can consider TCU as just one of those games similar to what we did to Texas a bit ago.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am I think it wouldn't be unreasonable, if Beaty could manage to get 5 wins, to think he could get 6 wins next season
I'll argue with this point only. Losing Dineen, Wise, Loneker, Sims, Booker, other key-starting DL and OL will hurt big time. Not to mention current QB Bender and many other key role players. Losing 27 seniors. Last year, I think KU lost what, 6 guys to graduation? And this is all that has happened with an experienced roster. Beaty ain't winning 6 games losing half of his starters/key rotation guys.

jhawk73

Post by jhawk73 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 am
pdub wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 am I think it wouldn't be unreasonable, if Beaty could manage to get 5 wins, to think he could get 6 wins next season
I'll argue with this point only. Losing Dineen, Wise, Loneker, Sims, Booker, other key-starting DL and OL will hurt big time. Not to mention current QB Bender and many other key role players. Losing 27 seniors. Last year, I think KU lost what, 6 guys to graduation? And this is all that has happened with an experienced roster. Beaty ain't winning 6 games losing half of his starters/key rotation guys.
Especially when the current recruiting class for next year consists of ONE player???
No kid with any sense is going to sign up for this dumpster fire if he doesn't know who he's going to be playing for, and maybe not even then.
"Anything from Missouri has a taint about it. ... We're from Kansas. Jayhawkers, and proud of it."