Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am i don't think Vick has nab-level abilities, but wasn't he testing those waters last spring?
Anyone can "test the waters"....iirc he was not even invited to the combine portion for measurements?

If Vick had even the slightest chance of being a 2nd rounder or even free agent signing after last year then I don't think he'd be here now. Look at newman. He's nowhere to be found.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah partly because KU had no depth and he played 35 minutes a game and shot the ball a ton.

And testing the waters didn't do a single thing for him. Don't think he got a single invitation to workout for any team. He won't be in the NBA at all. He'll do a fine job overseas making money and playing ball there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We have depth. Quality depth. Vick and the Lightfeet and The Big Freshman are a big part of that quality depth. We have time and space for all of them. It has been some time since we have had quality depth like we have this season.

I like what I saw last night for sure.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:06 am

I like what I saw last night for sure.
Same. Honestly I was blown away with how good we looked. I did not expect it. I was very skeptical heading into last night. Now I feel confident we are a top 2 team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vick has elite athleticism, but perhaps below average size and strength by NBA standards. Plus, questionable head/attitude.

If he could become a really good shooter, or if he could learn to just put his head down and take it to the house, maaaybe he could get a look in the league, but prob not.

*man, why can’t he learn to take it to the house? He’s so goddamn quick when he wants to be. One dribble to get by his man, another dribble to get up and finish and/or get fouled. But instead he settles for long jumpers, sigh.
painter

Post by painter »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am i don't think Vick has nba-level abilities, but wasn't he testing those waters last spring?
Athletically yes. Basketball skills as of today not there yet. Maybe its unfair of me to put the expectations on him that he would have improved over the summer. Especially because when he tested the waters, you know the scouts gave him specifics that he needed to work on.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

At the very least I’d imagine Self gave him objectives and goals he had meet skills-wise, as well as character/leadership-wise (and of course academically), to be allowed back.

I mean, how often does a student-athlete have to beg to return for his senior season?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Vick played 30 minutes last night. I guess HCBS liked what he saw.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

painter wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am i don't think Vick has nba-level abilities, but wasn't he testing those waters last spring?
Athletically yes. Basketball skills as of today not there yet. Maybe its unfair of me to put the expectations on him that he would have improved over the summer. Especially because when he tested the waters, you know the scouts gave him specifics that he needed to work on.
and that was really my point
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 pm Vick played 30 minutes last night. I guess HCBS liked what he saw.
we’ve seen it numerous times before, that Self values experience in the system. i wasn’t particularly surprised this was the case given our opponent

guess time will tell...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think if Vick can be on the floor with Vonte ( 1st team All American ) and Svi ( B12 2nd team ) he can hang with a couple of freshmen.

Our ideal lineup to me looks like last night ( and what I expected before hand ) if Dotson plays like he did.

Dotson/Charlie
Grimes/Garrett
Vick/Garrett/KJ
Dedric/Lightfoot/KJ
Dok/Dedric/McCormack
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think 4/5 spots are certain. I think, by February, we might be better with Garrett over Vick for the 5th spot.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:34 pm Vick played 30 minutes last night. I guess HCBS liked what he saw.
we’ve seen it numerous times before, that Self values experience in the system. i wasn’t particularly surprised this was the case given our opponent

guess time will tell...
And yet 2 freshman started over 2 guys who've been here (Garrett and Moore)...so I don't think Vick is starting because of his experience. He is starting because he's better than Moore, Garrett and KJ.

All coaches value experience, not just Self. I think in the past fans have made the excuse that Self is playing vets over younger guys solely because of experience, and conveniently overlooking that often times those vets are just simply better for the team, even though sometimes the younger guys have more "potential".
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IIRC for a stretch last night our front court was Dedrick and KJ.

How do we feel about that lineup?
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 pm I think if Vick can be on the floor with Vonte ( 1st team All American ) and Svi ( B12 2nd team ) he can hang with a couple of freshmen.

Our ideal lineup to me looks like last night ( and what I expected before hand ) if Dotson plays like he did.

Dotson/Charlie
Grimes/Garrett
Vick/Garrett/KJ
Dedric/Lightfoot/KJ
Dok/Dedric/McCormack
Looks about right.

Once the rotation tightens up I wouldn't be surprised if Moore is on the outside looking in for minutes. He's been very unimpressive.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I loved it when KJ tackled that Michigan State player before Dedric could even get there.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Moore has some skill on offense - didn't translate last night - but I think he has it.
But man, he got noticeably burned a number of times on the other end.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 pm I think Moore has some skill on offense - didn't translate last night - but I think he has it.
But man, he got noticeably burned a number of times on the other end.
Ya. Same with exhibition games....and for all the talk that dotson wasn't ready defensively he sure looked like he was ready last night against a guy who will be a candidate for big 10 POY.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Dotson was great. Better than expected for a freshman in game 1 against a top 10 team. Moore....well. i think he will have great front row seats this year.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I like all the high socks action ( McCormack included ).