Official Game thread: KU vs Eastern Michigan

Kansas Basketball.
Mjl

Re: Official Game thread: KU vs Eastern Michigan

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 pm So glad noncon is over. And I'll be glad when conference is over.

I predicted that this year's regular season would be pretty boring and so far it has been.
I'm not and won't be. You prefer offseason?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:55 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 pm So glad noncon is over. And I'll be glad when conference is over.

I predicted that this year's regular season would be pretty boring and so far it has been.
In a year like this, only postseason matters. You know that. Bill knows that. We all know that.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:35 pm

In a year like this, only postseason matters. You know that. Bill knows that. We all know that.
As a fan? Hell no. I love watching my favorite team play regardless of, well, anything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

2010 was a blast. :eyeroll
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I think what they are getting at, is exhibition games against Washburn are something. Cupcakes against E MICH are worth every staying for the chant. Worst part about losing in the tourney isn’t the loss. It’s because we don’t get to watch any more KUBBALL. Worst part about this winter break was this week between games. While the post season is the focus and target this year, the entire schedule gets me through the winter.
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Ugh.
Dont loop me in with this entitled "we all know that".
I like watching us win. Against ranked teams. Against unranked teams. Win conferences. Win conference tournaments. It matters. If KU goes out in the first weekend of the NCAAs but wins another record straight conference title that hundreds of other college programs would kill for just ONE of, its not like the whole season didnt matter.
Lord.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

I hardly feel like this is a "national title or bust" type team/season.

I'm going to enjoy the whole season. I'm going to enjoy watching a lot of unproven players improve as the year goes on.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 am I hardly feel like this is a "national title or bust" type team/season.
That could be b/c you’re not very bright.

We are the preseason #1 team. We just went 11-1 in the toughest noncon schedule in the country. We’re headed straight for the #1 overall seed. What the hell do you think the expectations are? A year ago everyone was losing their damn minds b/c we lost 3 games at home, yet it still would have been disappointing to not make a Final Four. This is Kansas, not some scrub program that hangs banners for tournament appearances.

Every year you act like getting past the first weekend is gravy on top. Then out of the other side of your mouth say that college b-ball is down. That’s complete bullshit. Our fanbase is so weird.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:36 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 am I hardly feel like this is a "national title or bust" type team/season.

We are the preseason #1 team. We just went 11-1 in the toughest noncon schedule in the country. We’re headed straight for the #1 overall seed. What the hell do you think the expectations are? A year ago everyone was losing their damn minds b/c we lost 3 games at home, yet it still would have been disappointing to not make a Final Four. This is Kansas, not some scrub program that hangs banners for tournament appearances.

Every year you act like getting past the first weekend is gravy on top. Then out of the other side of your mouth say that college b-ball is down. That’s complete bullshit. Our fanbase is so weird.
I don't think anything past the first weekend is gravy; I just don't think that the only thing that matters is the postseason result. Some fans such as myself still enjoy the content of the regular season, regardless of when the season ends. I love to go watch games with my family. I love to watch games on TV at my house. I love to follow the success and failures of the other Big 12 teams once conference play starts. If we lose in the 2nd Round I don't suddenly retroactively hate all that.

So maybe the postseason result is all that matters to you but it's not all that matters to me. The journey is more to me than the destination; the experience more important than the result. But that's me.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Had a great time at the game despite the completely dead crowd. Took my 15 year old, had a great conversation on the drive down, enjoyed a bunch of Dok Dunks, got autographs of of every active player (we would have loved to have your signature too, Agbaji!) and after 3 seasons of trying, finally got a picture of my daughter with Dok. An awesome family day and a great first half of basketball. We played in the 2nd half like I felt after 4 straight days of Christmas gatherings, overstuffed and lethargic, but we got to the end with no injuries.

So ready for Big 12 play to start. Oklahoma has played a bunch of big name programs that are all having down seasons. The only good team they played smacked them by 20 so I don't know quite what to expect from them. Ready to get this next part of the season going. Go Jayhawks!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 am

I don't think anything past the first weekend is gravy; I just don't think that the only thing that matters is the postseason result. Some fans such as myself still enjoy the content of the regular season, regardless of when the season ends. I love to go watch games with my family. I love to watch games on TV at my house. I love to follow the success and failures of the other Big 12 teams once conference play starts. If we lose in the 2nd Round I don't suddenly retroactively hate all that.

So maybe the postseason result is all that matters to you but it's not all that matters to me. The journey is more to me than the destination; the experience more important than the result. But that's me.
I’ve been to AFH something like 150 times. Been to preseason tournaments, champions classics, road games, what feels like a dozen Big 12 tournaments. Never once did I say that shouldn’t be enjoyable.

But in every year, regular season results pale in comparison in importance to the National postseason. And some years are different than others. This is a year where regular seasons results are so minuscule compared to what we do in the postseason. Before the season we were favored in every single game we play this regular season and that is going to stay true. How many times has that happened? Maybe 3? Regular season wins mean nothing compared to losses this year. And the entirety of this season will be almost exclusively judged on whether or not we raise individual banners on the East and South rafters.

You’re not wrong to enjoy the ride but the expectations here make regular seasons like this one not very intriguing. It’s not that this regular season doesn’t matter at all, it just doesn’t matter even close to as much as the tournament. We’ll still put tiny 2019 iron press letters on the West rafter.

Quite honestly, Self hasn’t performed to seed in the tournament and it’s caused many KU fans to go into a defense mechanism when discussing program and season success.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we could get 1 seed right now CnB would rather forfeit the season and start the single game elimination tournament in january.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I bought my tickets to Kansas at Baylor yesterday at halftime of the EMU game...I am still going even if the game means nothing. Anyone coming to Waco?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am

I’ve been to AFH something like 150 times. Been to preseason tournaments, champions classics, road games, what feels like a dozen Big 12 tournaments. Never once did I say that shouldn’t be enjoyable.

But in every year, regular season results pale in comparison in importance to the National postseason. And some years are different than others. This is a year where regular seasons results are so minuscule compared to what we do in the postseason. Before the season we were favored in every single game we play this regular season and that is going to stay true. How many times has that happened? Maybe 3? Regular season wins mean nothing compared to losses this year. And the entirety of this season will be almost exclusively judged on whether or not we raise individual banners on the East and South rafters.

You’re not wrong to enjoy the ride but the expectations here make regular seasons like this one not very intriguing. It’s not that this regular season doesn’t matter at all, it just doesn’t matter even close to as much as the tournament. We’ll still put tiny 2019 iron press letters on the West rafter.

Quite honestly, Self hasn’t performed to seed in the tournament and it’s caused many KU fans to go into a defense mechanism when discussing program and season success.
And that's fine, for you. Just understand that this explanation only applies to you. It's your opinion and how you feel.

Postseason results just aren't the only thing that matter to me as a KU fan. I get the whole "postseason results are more important if you rank all the parts of the season in order of importance" but that is a mechanical exercise devoid of emotion and experience. Each season is more to me than a series of accumulated accomplishments.

20 years from now I will have more of a fond memory of my daughter chasing Dok through the autograph line trying to squeeze in close enough to get a picture than I will of whether or not this team played to seed in the tourney. I win plenty of "whose team is better" arguments against opposing fans on message boards. I think too many fans base their happiness with a season around the impact it has on their interactions with rival fans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I think too many fans base their happiness with a season around the impact it has on their interactions with rival fans."

Yes.
Id also add casual fans in here too.
The guys at the bar for march madness noticing you are a KU fan.
"Didnt you guys have Mario Chalmers? He was a bust in the NBA though."

We remarkably/historically keep sweeping up the B12 and getting 30 wins with one of the stronger strength of schedules.

The single game elimination tournament is important but it should be less so unless you care more about other fans than you do your own satisfaction.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:06 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:35 am

And that's fine, for you. Just understand that this explanation only applies to you. It's your opinion and how you feel.

Postseason results just aren't the only thing that matter to me as a KU fan. I get the whole "postseason results are more important if you rank all the parts of the season in order of importance" but that is a mechanical exercise devoid of emotion and experience. Each season is more to me than a series of accumulated accomplishments.

20 years from now I will have more of a fond memory of my daughter chasing Dok through the autograph line trying to squeeze in close enough to get a picture than I will of whether or not this team played to seed in the tourney. I win plenty of "whose team is better" arguments against opposing fans on message boards. I think too many fans base their happiness with a season around the impact it has on their interactions with rival fans.
I think we're arguing different things. That's fine. Everything you're saying makes sense.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Agreed. There are probably 3-4 exciting games left. @UK, @TT, @ISU and maybe @OU
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Put me in CnB’s camp here.

Of course the regular season matters, it’s what gets you to the post season.

But this year, the regular season is a foregone conclusion. I’ve been saying more months that this years team is a juggernaut.

I won’t say title or bust, but this is a final four or bust year.

Sorry, there is just way too much damn talent to settle for less than that.

Don’t like those standards/expectations? The taters will take you in and you can celebrate a S16 appearance
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 am Put me in CnB’s camp here.

Of course the regular season matters, it’s what gets you to the post season.

But this year, the regular season is a foregone conclusion. I’ve been saying more months that this years team is a juggernaut.

I won’t say title or bust, but this is a final four or bust year.

Sorry, there is just way too much damn talent to settle for less than that.

Don’t like those standards/expectations? The taters will take you in and you can celebrate a S16 appearance
High expectations just changes things. Look at the Taters this year, they're not having any fun b/c of the expectations.

If the handful of posters arguing my point are being truthful then they would be just as satisfied being a Gonzaga basketball fan as they would be a Kansas basketball fan. "Regular season is fulfilling too!" No thank you. National relevance is a big reason why twocoach loads his kids up and makes a 7 hour roundtrip drive to Lawrence freaking Kansas in the middle of the week.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Meh.
You and cascadia value different things more than others do.
To say the regular season doesnt matter to all of us is false.