It is January 19, 2019 - Season is Over

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 104

Re: It is January 19, 2019 - Season is Over

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Garrett is coming around just when we need him. Last season taught me never to worry in January. We might not be a 1-seed, but I still think we'll get at least a share of the conference.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

He went from under-confident to over-confident very quickly.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When your assumed team leaders are soft you get weak teams like 2015.

The closed door meeting that needs to happen is Bill with Dotson. He and Garrett will have to take control of this team.

14 straight happened bc we win games like yesterday and the rest of the league loses them.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

As much as I would like to see Dotson take over this team, it’s starting to look like it just isn’t his time yet.

It’s pretty clear to me, the guy that has done it over the last 2 games is Garrett. And I’m pretty sure we will say this is HIS team the next couple of seasons.

I mean, even Self is calling crucial out of timeout plays for Garrett late in games now. He is not afraid to create his own shot and get to the rim. Tyshawn-Lite.

Dotson is too gun shy at times and indecisive. (He is awful at running a fast break.)

We kind of are who we are at this point. Self is going to have to be more creative in getting easy baskets for Dedric. Nobody on this team can make a good post entry pass. Dedric needs space and should probably be stretched further from the rim in order for a) him to drive/create his own shot and b) make defenses spread out more so our guards can drive a bit easier.

Yesterday, too often Dedric was just “standing” on the low block. Clogging the paint and our guards too passive in getting him the ball.

Monday is going to be interesting because IMO Iowa State is the best team in the league. A lot is riding on the game and I’m not sure we have the fire power to keep up...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

lobster wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 am Garrett is coming around just when we need him. Last season taught me never to worry in January. We might not be a 1-seed, but I still think we'll get at least a share of the conference.
Why do KU fans care so much about winning the conference? I don't get it. Seems like fans of teams of KU's caliber should have bigger goals like going to the final four and winning more national titles. I don't think fans of teams like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. focus on or care about winning their conference as much as we do. I understand why it was so important last year and the few years leading up to it because we were trying accomplish something huge by owning the record for most consecutive conference titles. However, now that KU has added that to their resume, it seems like the focus should have shifted back to getting to the final four and winning more championships. I understand that every KU fan obviously wants that for their team, but it seems like a lot of our fanbase is still content with just winning conference titles since that's been so important over the last few years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Because it’s a huge part of the season.

The entire season shouldn’t be just about winning six games in a single elimination tournament.
Deleted User 167

sdoyel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm As much as I would like to see Dotson take over this team, it’s starting to look like it just isn’t his time yet.

It’s pretty clear to me, the guy that has done it over the last 2 games is Garrett. And I’m pretty sure we will say this is HIS team the next couple of seasons.

I mean, even Self is calling crucial out of timeout plays for Garrett late in games now. He is not afraid to create his own shot and get to the rim. Tyshawn-Lite.

Dotson is too gun shy at times and indecisive. (He is awful at running a fast break.)

We kind of are who we are at this point. Self is going to have to be more creative in getting easy baskets for Dedric. Nobody on this team can make a good post entry pass. Dedric needs space and should probably be stretched further from the rim in order for a) him to drive/create his own shot and b) make defenses spread out more so our guards can drive a bit easier.

Yesterday, too often Dedric was just “standing” on the low block. Clogging the paint and our guards too passive in getting him the ball.

Monday is going to be interesting because IMO Iowa State is the best team in the league. A lot is riding on the game and I’m not sure we have the fire power to keep up...
100% agree about Dotson. WVU kept leaving him wide open on the three-point line but he refused to shoot it. It just looks like he has absolutely no confidence in his shot. He didn't look like much of a shooter when I watched his tape from high school so I shouldn't be surprised I guess. However, considering he's shooting over 40% from deep right now (I think), he needs to have more confidence and take advantage of those open three's.

He's strong at driving through the lane but agree that he gets extremely sloppy on fast breaks.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right. We care about winning the conference because it means we won a lot of games against good teams and good coaches.
Deleted User 167

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:26 am Because it’s a huge part of the season.

The entire season shouldn’t be just about winning six games in a single elimination tournament.
To me the entire season is about putting together a good resume of wins and so we can get a high seed in the tourney and put ourselves in the a good position to make a deep run.
Deleted User 167

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 am Right. We care about winning the conference because it means we won a lot of games against good teams and good coaches.
Agreed. But it shouldn't be about winning the conference title anymore imo. It just seems like that's still the goal or focus for many - "we should at least win a share of the conference". As if that's something we should be content with.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think that’s flawed thinking but you are entitled to it. They have colleges in conferences for a reason. And it’s become less of a deal to win because we win it so much but just imagine if KU football won the B12 and got destroyed in their bowl game.

I’d be ecstatic still.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

cjbooth38 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:31 am Right. We care about winning the conference because it means we won a lot of games against good teams and good coaches.
Agreed. But it shouldn't be about winning the conference title anymore imo. It just seems like that's still the goal for many - "we should at least win a share of the conference". As if that's something we should be content with.
I really don’t sense that there’s a feeling of contentment anymore with winning the conference; I think there’s a creeping urgency to see another banner hung before Bill decides he’s tired of all the bullshit that goes with college basketball (up to and including going to freaking prison over it).

I do think that people (rightfully) feel that winning the league means you had a good season up to that point, and that you are heading into the tournament in good shape.
Deleted User 167

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:43 am
cjbooth38 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 am
Agreed. But it shouldn't be about winning the conference title anymore imo. It just seems like that's still the goal for many - "we should at least win a share of the conference". As if that's something we should be content with.
I really don’t sense that there’s a feeling of contentment anymore with winning the conference; I think there’s a creeping urgency to see another banner hung before Bill decides he’s tired of all the bullshit that goes with college basketball (up to and including going to freaking prison over it).

I do think that people (rightfully) feel that winning the league means you had a good season up to that point, and that you are heading into the tournament in good shape.
That makes sense - especially because a conference title can help you get a higher seed (I think.. might be wrong about that, though). If you win a conference like the big 12 then you're probably going to be at least a 2 seed just because it typically requires a lot of quality wins.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Winning the NCAA Tournament without winning against 9 teams in Big 12 does not make us the best team of the year.

It’s like Missouri with the Big 12 tournament.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

maybe i’m wrong, but i find it hard to believe that the other blue bloods wouldn’t be touting conference win streaks if they were in the same boat
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm As much as I would like to see Dotson take over this team, it’s starting to look like it just isn’t his time yet.

Bingo.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦