Kids

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Re: Kids

Post by DrPepper »

In this country, you are going to need some diapers and probably a car seat. A cheap functioning thermometer (for the baby; not the bath water) would be nice, but you should already have one.

Until 6 months old, I was in a foreign county with my babe. No diapers nor car seat used there. We used flour sack cloths (much like a teatowel) and diaper pins for diapers. I got peed on a lot and that really isn’t a big deal.

I heard someone say they had to get an apartment with air conditioning because they had an infant. What??? People are some dumb. Ise your brain cells rather than letting the screens tell you what you need.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Back to Ousdahl’s point, yea, parents are busy with the kids. Again, in other countries, you take the babe/kid with you to the bar. Maybe not the titty bars you frequent, and somebody needs to be sober.
I think it is difficult to find your tribe when you have a kid or two too.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm In this country, you are going to need some diapers and probably a car seat. A cheap functioning thermometer (for the baby; not the bath water) would be nice, but you should already have one.

Until 6 months old, I was in a foreign county with my babe. No diapers nor car seat used there. We used flour sack cloths (much like a teatowel) and diaper pins for diapers. I got peed on a lot and that really isn’t a big deal.

I heard someone say they had to get an apartment with air conditioning because they had an infant. What??? People are some dumb. Ise your brain cells rather than letting the screens tell you what you need.
We have a six-month-old whose raising is very informed by the 11- and 8-year-old we also have. Meaning: we know the baby will be fine. We don't try to keep a quiet house. We don't try to maintain a strict schedule or ornate routine. We take the baby to restaurants/bars/the pool.

We are extraordinarily lucky to have an easy baby, to be sure, but I'm also 100000% convinced that babies pick up on their parents' fussiness and tension (however well-meaning or well-founded).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm In this country, you are going to need some diapers and probably a car seat. A cheap functioning thermometer (for the baby; not the bath water) would be nice, but you should already have one.

That is dumb. You should already have an apartment with air conditioning because you're a human being and only a true savage would pay to live in a building that didn't have air conditioning.

Similarly, what I do love, and I've seen this more than a few times, is when a couple has a baby, they have a 4 door sedan, and then they "need" to get a bigger vehicle, often something like a suburban, all for a baby that doesn't yet weigh 20 lbs.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:27 pm Similarly, what I do love, and I've seen this more than a few times, is when a couple has a baby, they have a 4 door sedan, and then they "need" to get a bigger vehicle, often something like a suburban, all for a baby that doesn't yet weigh 20 lbs.
potd #2. you're on a roll, doc.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Kids are the best. Grandkids even better. If you have them you know what i’m talking about. Don’t even want to imagine where I would be right now without them.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:27 pm

That is dumb. You should already have an apartment with air conditioning because you're a human being and only a true savage would pay to live in a building that didn't have air conditioning.

Similarly, what I do love, and I've seen this more than a few times, is when a couple has a baby, they have a 4 door sedan, and then they "need" to get a bigger vehicle, often something like a suburban, all for a baby that doesn't yet weigh 20 lbs.
Haha I love this post and have seen it multiple times. But I will say, having to put a baby in a bigger SUV is much easier compared to the middle of a 4 door car.

My 3rd is over a year old now, and before we knew we were going to have him, we upsized to a Yukon. My wife was expecting us to have that 3rd. Couldn't work with the crossover SUV
and the car that we had. The Yukon is the family-mobile, my car is for when one of us goes alone or has the big kids.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

man, could you imagine having to upgrade to a conestoga from a prairie schooner?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:20 am man, could you imagine having to upgrade to a conestoga from a prairie schooner?
Oh, you have a kid back then, you're gonna need a conestoga wagon. You gotta haul around the kid's hoop and stick to play with, you GOTTA have the latest victorian baby stroller and those aren't small, and if one of the two other couples in our camp has a baby that survives through the high infant mortality rate, you know we're gonna have to drive them around sometimes too.

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I emphasized with Thanos. Too many damn people.
Bring back high infant mortality.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:20 am man, could you imagine having to upgrade to a conestoga from a prairie schooner?
That is exactly what mericans do now. None of that walking across the prairie on foot.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm I emphasized with Thanos. Too many damn people.
Bring back high infant mortality.
Thanos was dumb though, I don't think he understands math. His whole thing was to kill half the population to preserve resources. Well there are about 7 billion people on earth today, so half that would leave about 3.5 billion people. There were 3.5 billion people on earth in the late 60s. So all thanos did was buy about 50 years anyway.

But, it's just yet another reason not to have children there are too many people anyway.

Having said that, I just renewed my driver's license at a DMV express and it only took about 5 or 10 minutes...so, I'm not nearly as mad about too many people now that they have DMV expresses.

But isn't that hypocritical of you? You have a child. You're part of the problem. I'm doing my part. I'm walking the walk by not having offspring.

Every day I wake up and thank God above for the blessing of not having children. I can't imagine how my life would be with them. I feel so fulfilled and rich not having them. Life is great.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If Thanos wasn't such a dick, he could have just expanded living space and resources.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

TDub wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:41 am Kids are great. Expensive and all time consuming. These are all things everyone knows....people need to stop complaining about everything and take responsibility for their choices.
I see your point and mostly agree with it. But I never realized being a parent would be this hard. It's really fucking hard. Then again it's supposed to be. Can you tell I have teenage daughters?

Every child is different. Every situation is different. Life can be so complicated and yet wonderful at the same time.

I'll never regret becoming a Dad. But it's been incredibly difficult.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 pm If Thanos wasn't such a dick, he could have just expanded living space and resources.
Yeah, or secretly neutered a large percentage of the population at random. Or handed out condoms, or increase the popularity or oral and anal sex by some extensive PR campaign.

DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I adopted.
Two parents. One kid.
Net loss.
Could be better, but pretty good.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

That's great.

But I don't think people who don't value air conditioning should ne allowed to adopt.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:45 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:41 am Kids are great. Expensive and all time consuming. These are all things everyone knows....people need to stop complaining about everything and take responsibility for their choices.
I see your point and mostly agree with it. But I never realized being a parent would be this hard. It's really fucking hard. Then again it's supposed to be. Can you tell I have teenage daughters?

Every child is different. Every situation is different. Life can be so complicated and yet wonderful at the same time.

I'll never regret becoming a Dad. But it's been incredibly difficult.
Yea I agree. It's so much harder to be a good parent than I ever imagined. Not saying its without struggle. It has certainly changed my lifestyle. But, everytime I start to lose it or get frustrated I tell myself that it was a conscience decision that I made, it's up to me to deal with it and do the best that I can to be a good parent to my children. I owe that to my children.
Adversity introduces a man to himself.

I guess my point is I hate hearing people bitch about the consequences of their choices. Noone elses but their own. Man up, stiffen that upper lip, get through it and come out better on the other side.

George Jones "Choices" great song.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness blathering.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Great quote.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Albert Einstein
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Feral wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 pm Great quote.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Albert Einstein
Never heard that one, Doc, Thanks.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.