"Get away" trips.

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: "Get away" trips.

Post by jhawks99 »

I was in Nashville about a year and a half ago. Like Times Square after it got cleaned up.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I will be very disappointed if Nashville is just an inauthentic, overgrown P&L.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not a fan of Nashville. I know that probably puts me in the minority, but Broadway is a wannabe country-music-style Vegas strip and all of the bars are the exact same with live bands playing the exact same music/songs.

The neighborhoods where locals hung out are actually pretty cool--I'd stick to those if I ever make it back.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's probably not a good sign that I...(whispers)...found Austin to be entirely overrated.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Austin is a better Nashville.

I do like the Austin neighborhoods like Rainey and Austin has the better food.

Broadway Nashville is a kitsch-ier 6th Street Austin.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Nashville is cool. The best music for my money is happening on the side streets. I am not a fan of radio friendly top 40 country. I dig alt country, country rock, outlaw country.

Broadway is fine. You have to go if you’re there. But the best music is on the side streets and the neighborhoods off broadway.

We stayed on music row the last time in Nashville. Far enough yet close enough.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:44 pm It's probably not a good sign that I...(whispers)...found Austin to be entirely overrated.
2019 Austin is quite a bit different than 2010 Austin.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the danger of rating Austin is that, since it has grown so quickly, it's going to be compared to large metros when, at heart, it's really a funky smaller city.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 pm
Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am Cool! A thread that started out with defix throwing his kid under the bus for being an idiot - and then expressing/explaining the repercussions - has now turned in to a humble brag contest.
At the moment - PDub is winning.
You would feel better after a week in the desert.
I have no doubt in my mind that you are correct. I always have felt better after spending time in the desert and my guess is God willing I always will.
Wanted to go to Joshua Tree the last time I was out west. Hoping to go the next time I am out that way.
I am honestly jealous of your good fortune and sincerely hope you have a great time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 pm I think the danger of rating Austin is that, since it has grown so quickly, it's going to be compared to large metros when, at heart, it's really a funky smaller city.
But, it's not. You don't find a forest of 30+ floor glass condos in funky smaller cities.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm Going to Nashville for Chiefs in November.
Went to Nashville a few months ago for business. First time there in 2-3 years.

Can't believe how awful Broadway has become. It used to be cool, laid-back, honky-tonk-ish and a bit dangerous. Tootsies, Robert's, Earnest Tubb Record Store, boot stores. It was more like Bourbon Street last time I was there. Tons of bachelorette parties, wall-to-wall people, scooters zipping along the sidewalks. The place even has a fucking Kid Rock bar - on Broad?!!?

Great people in Nashville and excellent food. But the tourist shit in this legendary district was fucking awful.
Right on cue......
Nashville is another perfect example of a place that was cool before it became cool and because it became cool it's no longer as cool.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:24 pm I think the danger of rating Austin is that, since it has grown so quickly, it's going to be compared to large metros when, at heart, it's really a funky smaller city.
But, it's not. You don't find a forest of 30+ floor glass condos in funky smaller cities.
Right. Grew up too fast. I think that's what everyone would say is at the root of all of Austin's negatives.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I thought that the root of Austin's problems was that it is full of Texans?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:21 pm I thought that the root of Austin's problems was that it is full of Texans?
Austin is definitely NOT full of Texans.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:21 pm I thought that the root of Austin's problems was that it is full of Texans?
^^^

/thread
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Nashville is still cool. There is way more to Nashville than the 5 main blocks on broadway.

We had a great night partying around Vanderbilt.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:04 pm Hitting Keystone, CO Labor Day weekend for Oktoberfest. Three days of hiking, beer drinking, whitewater rafting, etc... gonna be a fun little "Get Away" trip.
What river you plan to float?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:12 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:04 pm Hitting Keystone, CO Labor Day weekend for Oktoberfest. Three days of hiking, beer drinking, whitewater rafting, etc... gonna be a fun little "Get Away" trip.
What river you plan to float?
Doing The Numbers on the Arkansas River out of Buena Vista.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:37 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 pm
Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am Cool! A thread that started out with defix throwing his kid under the bus for being an idiot - and then expressing/explaining the repercussions - has now turned in to a humble brag contest.
At the moment - PDub is winning.
You would feel better after a week in the desert.
I have no doubt in my mind that you are correct. I always have felt better after spending time in the desert and my guess is God willing I always will.
Wanted to go to Joshua Tree the last time I was out west. Hoping to go the next time I am out that way.
I am honestly jealous of your good fortune and sincerely hope you have a great time.
Beavis of Hollyweird spent last week in Palm Desert.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:42 pm
chiknbut wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm Going to Nashville for Chiefs in November.
Went to Nashville a few months ago for business. First time there in 2-3 years.

Can't believe how awful Broadway has become. It used to be cool, laid-back, honky-tonk-ish and a bit dangerous. Tootsies, Robert's, Earnest Tubb Record Store, boot stores. It was more like Bourbon Street last time I was there. Tons of bachelorette parties, wall-to-wall people, scooters zipping along the sidewalks. The place even has a fucking Kid Rock bar - on Broad?!!?

Great people in Nashville and excellent food. But the tourist shit in this legendary district was fucking awful.
Right on cue......
Nashville is another perfect example of a place that was cool before it became cool and because it became cool it's no longer as cool.

Kinda harsh there, Gutter. What did I do to you? Dick.

Anyway, my biggest issue with Nashville was me. Went to Broadway years ago and had a great time - but it was my first time. No great place is ever as good as when it's the first time.

I have a nice and nephew and a handful of friends deeply connected with the Nashville music scene who live there. I should have known better. Should have called them up and hung out at a neighborhood taco bar.