Welcome Latrell Jossell

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Welcome Latrell Jossell

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Last year is a good indicator that Bill has learned from that. The old Bill would have played Charlie Moore over Dotson and Grimes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

That’s a good point, and I hope you’re right. Bill’s biggest flaw as a coach has been his stubbornness when it comes to benching his ‘favorite’ players.

Although he still seems to love Garrett, which is bound to cost us at least 1 game. Hopefully not in March
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:42 pm Well it’s also annoying to compare every low 4* and 3* recruit to Frank and Devonte.

Most of our recruits in that range don’t turn out to be great players. There’s a much higher likelihood that those kind of players transfer. We have a long list of those guys that have transferred.

There’s only one Frank and one Devonte.
partially agree but we have a long list of highly ranked guys who left too. in this era of college basketball. most of our 4 year players turn out to be good players. most of the lower ranked guys come in with the attitude of wanting to be here long term and earn their keep.

anytime we get a kid who is clearly athletic and dreams of playing at kansas im excited. people not excited about latrell jossell are probably the same crowd that had a boner for quentin grimes and didnt give two shits when ochai committed
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:48 am Yeah, 2020 feels like a punt in terms of recruiting outside of Thompson who will have the ball in his hands often. And it's because there is a likely one year ban coming up.

But Self is recruiting developmental guys that will be ready in 2021 and beyond.
we have a ton of talented players most likely coming back. its hard to sign blue chip recruits on top of that. next years class is another layer added to the foundation. guys who can come in contribute to practice and develop. gotta keep the cupboard stocked if you want to win the league every year
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

I know this may sound crazy and hypothetical, but there may be a new NBA one/done rule in the next year that allows prospects to go straight to the League and bypass college. Perhaps our coach is looking past that and ensuring he's got guys that are definitely coming to KU rather than recruit a player that ends up leaving high school for the League.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

randylahey wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:42 pm Well it’s also annoying to compare every low 4* and 3* recruit to Frank and Devonte.

Most of our recruits in that range don’t turn out to be great players. There’s a much higher likelihood that those kind of players transfer. We have a long list of those guys that have transferred.

There’s only one Frank and one Devonte.
partially agree but we have a long list of highly ranked guys who left too. in this era of college basketball.. most of our 4 year players turn out to be good players. most of the lower ranked guys come in with the attitude of wanting to be here long term and earn their keep.

anytime we get a kid who is clearly athletic and dreams of playing at kansas im excited. people not excited about latrell jossell are probably the same crowd that had a boner for quentin grimes and didnt give two shits when ochai committed
"Most of our 4 year players turn out to be good players"

JFC, you can't make this shit up...........

Vick
Graham
Svi
Mason
Lucas
Traylor
Mickelson
Garrett (Christian)
Wesley
Roberts
Black
Withey
Johnson
Releford
Young
Teahan
Taylor
Juenemann
Morningstar
Reed
Little
Collins
Bechard
Klienmann
Case
Jackson
Kaun
Robinson
Stewart
Witherspoon
Moody
Vinson
Langford
Lee
Miles
Simien
Graves
Nash
Olsen

Man, so many all-americans and great players. I'd rather have these guys instead of:

Chalmers
Rush
Wright
Arthur
Aldrich
Morris
Morris
Robinson
McLemore
Wiggins
Selden
Embiid
Oubre
Jackson
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, we're now in the era where if you stay 4 years, then something probably didn't go quite right.

Yes, I know, Mason and Graham are the exceptions.

Och was brought up--I sure hope that kid doesn't stay here 4 years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There are a lot of great players on that four year list. I’d rather many of them over a one and done like Wiggins or Oubre.

I think another factor that isn’t brought up is getting to see a kid play four years and improve as a basketball player and person and see their senior speech. That isn’t something that should be glossed over.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm One of the bigger disappointments in the Self era was having Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Wayne Selden, Frank Mason and Perry Ellis all on the same team and we trotted Naadir fucking Tharpe out there as a starter every single night.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:19 pm
Although he still seems to love Garrett, which is bound to cost us at least 1 game. Hopefully not in March
MG can play any spot on the floor 1-4. Is our best defender by a long shot. Doesn’t turn the ball over. Keeps his nose clean. Has super cool hair. How exactly is MG going to be responsible for at least 1 loss this season?
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Excluding walk-ons and transfers—because it’s pretty obvious that that’s not who Randy was talking about—changes that list significantly.

Regarding the incoming class, I think we have two immediate impact type guys; one guy who has a decent chance of developing into a good college player and maybe an NBA prospect based on size, athleticism and shooting; and a guy who may or may not turn out to be a contributor a couple years down the line.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

4 year players are my favorite.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

players that win are my favorite
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Yeah. That’s certainly not the only thing I’m looking for, but it’s a big factor.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 am players that win are my favorite
This guy gets it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Trustee wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 am Excluding walk-ons and transfers—because it’s pretty obvious that that’s not who Randy was talking about—changes that list significantly.
I'd like to see a list of the non Top-50 guys that have transferred out of the program or are asked to leave the program. We probably average 1 per year.

To me, that is more damning of those level of recruits than the Mitch Lightfoot and Landen Lucas types.

We've had some weird ones. Royce Woolridge, Issac McBride, Merv Lindsey, Zach Peters, even Andrew White and on and on.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Yeah, I’d like to see that too. Maybe I can put it together later this week. Those transfers would certainly seem to speak to their inability to contribute immediately, but it tells you much less about who they’d be at year 4. But you only get 13 spots: there is an immediacy.

Andrew White wound up with a decent career. So did Doyle and, I believe, Quintrell. Zach unfortunately got KO’d by KY, but also seemed to be slipping down the ranks as he approached college, then wound up with health problems. Merv and Rio probably weren’t going to contribute in years 4 or 5 at KU.

I don’t think every 3 star will be Devonte, and I certainly don’t mind having 5 star McDs on the roster. But I do like experience. And my gut says that the staff’s evaluation of lower ranked players has been pretty great the last several years.

Sorry for the essay. DC HATES THIS POST
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It just seems that seat #13 and maybe even #12 is a try-out spot. And, I think the staff has a pretty good idea after just a year where those guys are going to be at in year 4 after they take the flier. Even with White and Doyle, those guys were going to get recruited over (and did). Cunliffe, Moore, Coleby, Braeden Anderson, those are odd misses.

As far as recruiting multi-year guys for experience, it seems that Bill's goldilocks zone is about Top 25 - 50. Aldrich, Twins, Releford, T-Rob, Withey*, Ellis, McCormack, etc.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Moore is such an anomaly.

Double digit scorer as a freshman at a P5 school, sits out a year in the new system and looks like he's hardly even played basketball before, then hardship transfer to a mid major and now averages nearly 15 a game.

I guess it's more than anything a testament to how tough it is to play at a blue blood? We're the opponent's biggest game of the year damn near every night.
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

CNB, I agree. Though I don’t know what ‘odd’ means to you. Especially regarding Braeden. Big 12 said he couldn’t have a scholarship at KU.