2020-21 Jayhawks

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2020-21 Jayhawks

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wilson scouted as a scorer, not a shooter. And he was brick city in his limited minutes here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Daniels evaluated Wilson in September of 2018. He referred to him as a "big perimeter prospect that possesses shooting ability and skill."

"At 6-8, he has very good size for the position and he's a good athlete. He has a solid build and one that would fill out further in a college weight room," Daniels wrote. "He already plays well through contact. Shooting is among his biggest strengths. He has good shot mechanics, shot preparation and good range.He's also a good passer."

Of note, Braun's first 10 games he was 9-25 from the field for 36%, and 5 of 16, 31%, from 3.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:07 pm
Soklous wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Wha?

Grant-Foster could very well start.

Harris will backup Garrett and has no RS left.

FWIW... Self has “claimed” that Grant Foster would be the best player on this years team if here this season. On more than one occasion.
I thought he said he would start, not that he’d be the best player... happy to be wrong though.
“Probably best player on this years team” was in courtside interview following win in Ames. Foster snuck by with attention from Self.

Interesting that our 5 Star McDonalds All American has no discussion. And interesting meaning... simply contrasting the 4 year vs Blue Chip debate. Cause lots of excitement for Braun and Tristan here. Which both thoughts are right.
Last edited by Soklous on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, I said.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm Wilson scouted as a scorer, not a shooter. And he was brick city in his limited minutes here.
Want to know who else was "scouted as a scorer"? Svi.

You want to know who struggled shooting from deep his freshman year? Svi.

You want to know who is one of the best 3 point shooters Kansas has had in recent memory? Svi.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:51 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm Wilson scouted as a scorer, not a shooter. And he was brick city in his limited minutes here.
Want to know who else was "scouted as a scorer"? Svi.

You want to know who struggled shooting from deep his freshman year? Svi.

You want to know who is one of the best 3 point shooters Kansas has had in recent memory? Svi.
That would be great!

Evan Daniels: “I don’t know if I would classify him as a shooter so much as a scorer.”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also Daniels:

"Shooting is among his biggest strengths. He has good shot mechanics, shot preparation and good range."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:51 pm
Soklous wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:02 pm

FWIW... Self has “claimed” that Grant Foster would be the best player on this years team if here this season. On more than one occasion.
I thought he said he would start, not that he’d be the best player... happy to be wrong though.
“Probably best player on this years team” was in courtside interview following win in Ames. Foster snuck by with attention from Self.

Interesting that our 5 Star McDonalds All American has no discussion. And interesting meaning... simply contrasting the 4 year vs Blue Chip debate. Cause lots of excitement for Braun and Tristan here. Which both thoughts are right.
Not to go all debbie downer again, but after Silvio and Jossell, Thompson would seem to be the shakiest of who will actually be here next season.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Wilson’s most recent Summer mix before Kansas.

https://youtu.be/hnyhZpHazCU
I am, I said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 pm He's better better than I thought - he should get more minutes next year than this for sure.
The question is Jalen Wilson in this - thought of as our best recruit this season but then lost the year.
Is he better than both Braun and Enaruna? Would be a nice problem to have.
Well, aren’t Wilson and Enaroona both more swingmen/stretch forwards, while Haunkey projects as a combo guard?

But yea, if it’s a matter of only so many minutes to go around, and positionless basketball/play the best available, who knows.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Not to go all debbie downer again, but after Silvio and Jossell, Thompson would seem to be the shakiest of who will actually be here next season.
I wonder if Thompson cares about NCAA tournament. He'll get the ball plenty. KU will still play 30 games or whatever. And he'll put up stats to be in the NBA.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Especially if he was sold on the Ochai is NBA bound bologna.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:04 pm

I wonder if Thompson cares about NCAA tournament. He'll get the ball plenty. KU will still play 30 games or whatever. And he'll put up stats to be in the NBA.
I think he can easily stay on NBA radar here, obviously. But, it's also quite true that a lot of prospects have raised their draft stock by 10, 15, 20+ spots on Final Four runs alone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:08 pm I think he can easily stay on NBA radar here, obviously. But, it's also quite true that a lot of prospects have raised their draft stock by 10, 15, 20+ spots on Final Four runs alone.
Yup.
UDOKA LOTTO PICK.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Using the same sample size, Ochai was unstoppable on the offensive end and shot over 50% from 3.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

And Connor Teahan is the greatest Jayhawk to ever play
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Do I recall correctly that Thompson, for some bizarre reason, signed an NLI rather than a grant-in-aid?

(To be clear - I would be 100% good with KU letting him out if there's a postseason or Self ban.)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Do I recall correctly that Thompson, for some bizarre reason, signed an NLI rather than a grant-in-aid?

(To be clear - I would be 100% good with KU letting him out if there's a postseason or Self ban.)
He did sign NLI after his family said they were reassured by Long. (but what reassurance can he give?)

I'm of the opinion that the signature won't be anymore than a bicycle speed bump for Thompson if we get the hammer.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

I am sure Bill would do the honorable thing and let him out of his NLI. He has obvious connections to the family and the player, so it would be pretty shitty not to let him out. I would be sad but understanding.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I don't know why we couldn't have waited another month for this thread
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

but since we did. I think the only clear cut part of the rotation is marcus garrett. playing a lot. running the point. but playing with any combination of players since he can guard 1-4