Pizza

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: Pizza

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mid 80s Minsky's was my favorite pizza in Lawrence.
Last visit to Lawrence (less than a year ago) I was this/close to going in to the Minsky's on Mass. Actually reached to open the door. Backed off and thought to myself, probably won't be as good as I remembered it - as a stoned/drunk college kid who would eat it as a treat.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Gutter, we had to have crossed paths at some point.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:28 am All I know is, steer clear of “Colorado style” pizza.

The big one is Beau Jos around the state, and a joint called Hernando’s (“The Hern”) in WP.

It’s just bread.
You do know that Pyramid (in Lawrence, about when you were?) is the same style?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember a joint called Pyramid pizza, but honestly don’t think I ever ate there. Their pizza is mostly just bread, with toppings only in the middle too?

I also don’t know if I ever ate Pizza Shuttle, but due to their catchy radio ads, I can still remember their number is 8421212
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Pyramid Pizza was the best. Still have one of their t-shirts
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I never ate Pyramid. Had a roommate that worked at Pizza Shuttle when they 1st opened in Lawrence. Weird dude. I met Mrs 99 when she moved into that same house on Tenn. Dude told Mrs 99 that she would make him a fine wife.

Pizza Shuttle kinda sucks.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:20 pm Dude told Mrs 99 that she would make him a fine wife.
Did he happen to think it was 1870?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

No, he moved in about the same time she did. Mrs 99 and I were not dating yet. He had no shot.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm No, he moved in about the same time she did. Mrs 99 and I were not dating yet. He had no shot.
I meant the phrasing...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

He was a little odd and that was his phrasing.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Oh man, I used to have Pizza Shuttle delivered to the lab late at night about once a week. It was very doughy but at 1 am we really didn’t care or know any better. I too remember the phone number 35 years later!!!!

Hey Lea - where in Europe does your sister live that she craves pizza in the US? I’m sure not anywhere in Southern Europe!!!! I used to travel to Italy so much in 2016-18 that I don’t think I ever ate pizza or pasta in the US during those three years
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Scandinavia
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Leawood wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:54 pmScandinavia
That explains it 😄
Deleted User 289

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:22 pm Gutter, we had to have crossed paths at some point.
I assume we did. I was at KU 84/85 and 2nd semester 86.
I could start dropping names of people I hung out with but I'll spare you and everyone else.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Shuttle will always have a soft spot in my heart

mom worked for a bit in the shopping center where it’s located. when i was a kid in the early 90s she’d pre-pay to have pies delivered during the summer

may not be the absolute best, but tough to beat their walk-in special...used to be $4.25 for a pie and soda
Deleted User 289

I didn't like pizza before I went to KU.
One of my first nights at KU I was very high, very drunk, and very hungry.
I really had no food options other than to eat some pizza that someone else had ordered to their dorm room.
I closed my eyes and tried to brainwash myself and pretend I was eating a burger.
I must have been REALLY high and drunk because I tolerated the pizza. It wasn't bad.
A few nights later, same situation. Only this time I actually enjoyed the pizza.
The third time was the charm. I began to LOVE pizza.
The pizza that got me hooked on pizza - That's right! "The Shuttle".
In hindsight, of course Pizza Shuttle is not very good pizza but it sure served an excellent purpose and fulfilled my "need/s" in my KU days.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my parents still get it regularly, either before b-ball games or women’s soccer games
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Even if I lived in Naples, I'd miss pizza from the US.

I'd get the 2 topping personal pizza cream cheese pepperoni from the Shuttle back in the day. Not world changing but good value for a college kid.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Who didn’t live off of Pizza Shuttle, Gumby’s, Chipotle, Jimmy John’s and Burrito King?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I make the best pizza. At home, too.

The local pizzeria sells me raw dough balls. It’s also available at the grocery store, but not as good. I toss at home and cook on a special pan, in a good old conventional oven.

The crust comes out lighter and crispier than most pizza joints. It’s sort of unique. Everyone who’s had it says it’s the best pies in the valley - even better than the restaurant from which I get the dough.

Last night, pepperoni and hot Italian sausage. I had some leftover tomato soup, and just used that as the sauce, why not. Sooo so good.

My calzones are killer too.