Super Bowl LV

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Super Bowl LV

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am "Playing into someone's 40's will also become a thing of the past."

With advancements in medicine, nutrition, and the protections they give to QB's - I don't agree.
For average older QB's, sure, but for the elite, I don't see why they wouldn't play into their 40's.
I would understand walking away with your health and your youth, if you're 33-35 and have a half-billion dollars.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Considering also he had a weird kneecap dislocation, turf toe, a "concussion", fractured wrist at Tech and a legit concussion while at Tech.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Also partial to fast food and ketchup.

More seriously, agree with fish, though. I wouldn't want to play that game in my 40's if I didn't have to.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. If you have half a billion, are a part owner of a baseball team and you have low cost of living by being in KC, why not quit before it gets to be too late.

These guys are wired differently though, man. They are competitors at heart.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:05 am These guys are wired differently though, man. They are competitors at heart.
exactly

Brady, Favre, Manning...

none of them, by any stretch, needed to play as long as they did

they WANTED to
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Mahomes already is known to be hyper competitive.
Bienemy joked that he was a 'competitive prick' even outside of football.

If Mahomes is say 38 and has 5 titles, and has a solid team around him, I don't think he stops.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

With the exception of maybe Brady because of his celebrity, Mahomes is and is going to be a lot richer than those guys.

And then it's just a completely different generation. Millennial football players are retiring earlier than their predecessors. That might also go back to money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 am
pdub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am "Playing into someone's 40's will also become a thing of the past."

With advancements in medicine, nutrition, and the protections they give to QB's - I don't agree.
For average older QB's, sure, but for the elite, I don't see why they wouldn't play into their 40's.
I would understand walking away with your health and your youth, if you're 33-35 and have a half-billion dollars.
If you've made half a billion at 33 then you're likely leaving at least that much more on the table by walking away at that age. Tough sell if you're feeling healthy and competent.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Favre earned 125 million.
Manning 250.
Just from football alone - sans any endorsements.

I don't think money was driving Favre or Manning.
I don't think with this contract, money will be driving Mahomes anymore.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:28 am

If you've made half a billion at 33 then you're likely leaving at least that much more on the table by walking away at that age. Tough sell if you're feeling healthy and competent.
I'm not saying he should, or seems likely to, walk away. I just would totally understand pulling your chips off the table - picking your brain out of a blender - at a certain point.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am Considering also he had a weird kneecap dislocation, turf toe, a "concussion", fractured wrist at Tech and a legit concussion while at Tech.
I had more injuries than that in my teens and 20s and I wasn't getting paid to play a sport. That's just life if you play hard and push yourself. None of those things are life changers. If he gets a half dozen concussions in a short amount of time then it's a conversation to have.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:30 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:28 am

I'm not saying he should, or seems likely to, walk away. I just would totally understand pulling your chips off the table - picking your brain out of a blender - at a certain point.
Sure, I'd get it. Just as a understand a low to mid tier player quitting even though he hasn't made generational wealth. I won't risk my head health for nothing any more like I used to but I'd do it for generational wealth.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mahomes is going to make a shitload of money after retirement.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Half a dozen!?

According to studies, once you have 3 concussions it's going to have an effect on your lasting health. A half a fucking dozen, get outta here.

He's had 1 concussion, I believe. I don't think he had one last week. I think he got choked, stood up too fast while he was still out of it, and once you stumble, it's considered a concussion according to NFL.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think he had a concussion either.
I don't think these once in a generation players are in it for the money - they don't need to be - they are good enough that the money will be there.

Glory, history, legend.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 am Mahomes is going to make a shitload of money after retirement.
He already kind of is. Between his contract and his Oakley, State Farm and adidas deals, he's making some serious bank on endorsements alone. Enough to pay for his somewhat modest house in the middle of KC.

He's such a sports nerd that he's going to invest some money into more sports franchises and things regarding sports. He'll take on a greater role in the Royals ownership, I think. Hell, he probably will have some say in the Chiefs ownership and whatnot.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Media suddenly big fans of Chiefs again.

ESPN did early predictions by their writers for the Super Bowl and Chiefs outnumbered Bucs 10-2 in picks. 1 of the Bucs picks was by their beat writer for ESPN, so a bit skewed, but still. That's quite interesting how a dominating win like that reminds people what the Chiefs can be.

I said about halfway through the season that the AFC winner had a big leg up on the NFC in Super Bowl because the AFC was just so much better. Still true today.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:34 am Mahomes is going to make a shitload of money after retirement.
He already kind of is. Between his contract and his Oakley, State Farm and adidas deals, he's making some serious bank on endorsements alone. Enough to pay for his somewhat modest house in the middle of KC.

He's such a sports nerd that he's going to invest some money into more sports franchises and things regarding sports. He'll take on a greater role in the Royals ownership, I think. Hell, he probably will have some say in the Chiefs ownership and whatnot.
Yes, he's not walking away from football and then won't earn anything. Will make as much as anyone post-football (save for maybe Romo) with his endorsements. And then you have the obvious life tradeoffs between not playing NFL and playing NFL.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:48 amI said about halfway through the season that the AFC winner had a big leg up on the NFC in Super Bowl because the AFC was just so much better. Still true today.
Chiefs are way better than all, but both NFC teams looked like they are better than the Bills.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I agree that the Bills were the 4th best team to play yesterday. And yet they still had 13 wins on the year and had looked decent in the playoffs.

Also think they could have ran out of gas with playing 3 straight games while Chiefs had some breaks in there.