Shaka to Marquette

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Shaka to Marquette

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Beard's buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4M on April 1st.. It's $2M for outside the Big 12.

Beard at Texas would be problematic for Self and Kansas.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:47 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 am I think if you get past the drop down in prestige and pay cut, all parties have to be pretty thrilled.

Shaka must have been dead man walking.
That's the part I can't get past. That, and the way it makes UT look. I mean, they avoid having to fire Smart, and the buyout, etc. But the look of having your HC leave because he prefers Marquette.

And for coaches and their egos...to say, I can't hack it at Texas I need to go someplace smaller...is very surprising.

And if you told me today I had to choose to hire a HC and my choices were Wojo or Smart...I think I'd go Wojo...although their resumes at Marquette and UT are eerily similar.
All fair points.

I don't think UT will particularly care what it looks like if they get their guy, and you'd think they have a couple of guys lined up to throw UT money at.

Shaka must have been on his way out and I agree that it's really not an improvement over Wojo.
Also, Texas gets to do the Texas Exceptionalism thing and huff and puff about how Shaka just couldn't cut it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am Beard's buyout to go to another Big 12 school drops to $4M on April 1st.. It's $2M for outside the Big 12.

Beard at Texas would be problematic for Self and Kansas.
Intra-conference moves were discussed last week, but I do think going to UT is different than going to Kansas, even with UT being his alma mater (although he never played).

Hated in state big brother rival that is still a football school. That's tough.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I'd love to see Beard at UT.

I've said this for a long time, Texas being a Top 10-15 Basketball Program is fucking GREAT for KU and the Big 12.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:00 am I'd love to see Beard at UT.

I've said this for a long time, Texas being a Top 10-15 Basketball Program is fucking GREAT for KU and the Big 12.
Agree wholeheartedly. It's just more interesting, nationally, for UT to consistently be our biggest rival at the top. As opposed to KSU/Baylor/Tech/Okie State filling that spot on a musical chairs basis.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Speaking of coaching changes, how many days until Roy joins Kruger in retirement? Pretty much his entire rotation just entered, or is about to enter the transfer portal.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:14 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:00 am I'd love to see Beard at UT.

Agree wholeheartedly. It's just more interesting, nationally, for UT to consistently be our biggest rival at the top. As opposed to KSU/Baylor/Tech/Okie State filling that spot on a musical chairs basis.
Exactly. When the Big 12 is run by KU and UT it raises the conference profile significantly from a national perspective. Also, UT is the only school in the conference that has the ability to rival our success. The fact that they've been so "meh" for the 12 years has been a huge disappointment for the Big 12.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

When was the last time, if ever, that Texas was really that great?

I guess like mid 2000s?

It just seems like even an elite coach might come there, be good for a few years, then go all meh once he realizes no one at Texas cares about hoops either way
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 am Beard to Texas and KU on probation would be quite a landscape change in the Big 12.
I assume Tech would recede, though, so it's not a huge net difference.

In other words, if Texas gets a little better (they were a 3, so there's only so much headroom) and Tech gets much worse, we're in better shape than if Tech stayed really good and Texas (with Oats or something) got a little better.
I am just assuming UT would give Beard the resources to recruit like Shaka, but you're correct that Tech receding would make up for it.

We might be seeing some of those early 2000's UT teams, though. I think it's great.
Texas Tech has had better recruiting classes than Texas each of the last 2 seasons.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Beard to Texas makes no sense from his career standpoint. He is an up and coming coach right now. How many of them have gone to Texas and seen their careers take a downturn? They have more patience with men's basketball than football; but you should consider the landscape in total. He would be wise to wait for a "better" opportunity, one with more chance of long term success. I have a gut feeling that they think they let Barnes hang around too long. The leash for basketball coaches may start to get as short as football in the future at Texas. The ability to recruit talent and the excellence of their facilities is second to none. But there is something at the core of their athletic department and university management that makes underachieving a norm.

They have more money than Alabama, but less success. And that eats at their collective ego.

But as a short term money grab, Texas makes sense. You could make enough in 4-5 years to retire and go into broadcasting.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:22 am When was the last time, if ever, that Texas was really that great?

I guess like mid 2000s?

It just seems like even an elite coach might come there, be good for a few years, then go all meh once he realizes no one at Texas cares about hoops either way
The run from ~2003 through Durant was really quite exceptional. I'm going to miss a half-dozen or more really good players.

TJ Ford
PJ Tucker
Lamarcus Aldridge
Daniel Gibson
AJ Abrams (what is with these guys)
Kevin Durant
DJ Augustin (oh come on)
Damion James
Dexter Pittman
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:23 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am

I assume Tech would recede, though, so it's not a huge net difference.

In other words, if Texas gets a little better (they were a 3, so there's only so much headroom) and Tech gets much worse, we're in better shape than if Tech stayed really good and Texas (with Oats or something) got a little better.
I am just assuming UT would give Beard the resources to recruit like Shaka, but you're correct that Tech receding would make up for it.

We might be seeing some of those early 2000's UT teams, though. I think it's great.
Texas Tech has had better recruiting classes than Texas each of the last 2 seasons.
I would say only better in 2020 as UT tends to get less recruits but higher caliber.

Beard has relied a ton on transfers like you'd expect a Tech or ISU to have to do. He goes to UT and it's consistent top 10 classes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Texas from 2002-03 to 2007-08 was their best stretch

3rd
10th
unranked
9th
16th
5th

A Final Four and 2 Elite Eights during that stretch.
Last edited by Cascadia on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Lubbock vs. Austin
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it would seem that Beard would have much more control at Tech than would be the case at UT
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

How dare you forget Chris Mihm and Bradley Buckman.
Last edited by NewtonHawk11 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Surprised we made it to page 2 without mentioning that Hudy may have gone from KU to Marquette pretty quickly.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 am Surprised we made it to page 2 without mentioning that Hudy may have gone from KU to Marquette pretty quickly.
Ouch.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TAMAR BATES, COME ON DOWN!
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self