Welcome Cam Martin

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Welcome Cam Martin

Post by Sparko »

Need to disrupt the damned three ball on defense. Need speed and length. We had to double the driver too often. It seems like we meet Trey Burke or the Geico cavemen twins every tourney having the games of their lives.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Offensively they can play together.

I don't see how they can defensively though.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 am Offensively they can play together.

I mean, in the majority of games.

But what if we play two 7' NBA ready brothers again, or a mid major Napolean and Chip Dynatmite with a beard? Don't you NEED to be able to play 2 bigs as well as defend 4 and 5- guard offenses?

And if USC can do that shit to our short unathletic asses, shouldn't be able to do that to other teams when/if we have two (or more) talented bigs?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

apparently analytics says otherwise
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

How's the 35 point ass kicking we took for an analytic?

Deleted User 89

preaching to the choir, brother
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Why are we following trends anyway? We're fucking Kansas! let's set the fucking trend! Naismith coached here for Christ sake!

but...but...but...that's what other teams do, so we gotta do it too!!!

Remember when Bragg T-bagged that fucker from Montana? I want to do that to every fucking team that thinks they can fucking play small! Let's be fucking bullies. Why play like a buncha fucking pansies, just because that's what Krzyzasdl;kajski and Jay Wright decided to do?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Remember when Bragg T-bagged that fucker from Montana?"

I do.
Saw it from section D1.
Nasty.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Remember who through him that lob from behind half court?

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your former avatar if I recall.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

hoopla

Post by hoopla »

couple of things: 1) one thing that makes Belichick so successful is his willingness to do things differently than everyone else; 2) basketball goes through cycles, and will come back to the big man when another Shaq comes around and starts to dominate and everyone gets in line; and 3) syracuse has enjoyed decades of success using an antiquated defense that no one else can seem to imitate. long story short: i'm not buying any set concept of what "basketball is these days".
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:20 am
Mjl wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 am Offensively they can play together.

I mean, in the majority of games.

But what if we play two 7' NBA ready brothers again, or a mid major Napolean and Chip Dynatmite with a beard? Don't you NEED to be able to play 2 bigs as well as defend 4 and 5- guard offenses?

And if USC can do that shit to our short unathletic asses, shouldn't be able to do that to other teams when/if we have two (or more) talented bigs?
It depends on the bigs. USC and Texas had bigs that were also extremely athletic and quick for their size. Our bigs are more plodding, and that's what gets exposed on D. I think if Enaruna could have developed he could have been that perfect 4.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Enaruna was undersized though, just like Wilson. And that's what gets exposed against USC and Texas.

Deleted User 89

Enaruna would’ve gotten worked over just as much, if not more, by both tejas and usc
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Remember that time we were blowing Texas out with small ball tho?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 pm Remember that time we were blowing Texas out with small ball tho?
Yeah, and then remember when they came back and took the lead when we played small ball?

Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I'm not saying Enaruna could have held his own against those teams, I'm saying that his untapped potential was intended to be able to handle those matchups.

A frontcourt of Martin and Dave would get worked worse by those teams than a frontcourt of Wilson and Dave. Guys like Mobley and Kai Jones are way too quick for any true bigs we're going to have this year.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Will this guy make any meaningful contribution?
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:21 pm I'm not saying Enaruna could have held his own against those teams, I'm saying that his untapped potential was intended to be able to handle those matchups.

A frontcourt of Martin and Dave would get worked worse by those teams than a frontcourt of Wilson and Dave. Guys like Mobley and Kai Jones are way too quick for any true bigs we're going to have this year.
I don't think we're disagreeing here. I think you're focused on the players that will be in the roster next year, and I'm talking about whether, going forward, we should recruit with the intent to play two bigs, or one.

And I'd prefer to play two. Of course, you want a versatile guy who can guard a big or a guard, so you want guys like Marcus Morris or Julian Wright as the second big. I think the mistake with Enaruna and TGF is getting a guard who is big enough to defend most bigs, I'd rather get a big, who is athletic and quick enough to defend a guard.

Maybe that's splitting hairs, and the real issue is Enaruna and TGF just weren't that good. Wilson is fine...but man I wish he was 2 inches taller and a little bit stronger (and more athletic).