Snacks to Texas

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Snacks to Texas

Post by jfish26 »

I’m not sad about this news. I presume if Bill has really wanted him to stay, that would have been the result. I’m good with shaking the staff up, even to a further degree.

Our stuff is stale, on the roster building side and the roster maximization side.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I disagree with passing on Danny. I have no direct knowledge but our post play seemed to decline after he left. If Bill is committed to running his offense through the block then get Danny back on staff. They could always replace Townsend with a young recruiter if they aren't worried about everything he knows.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 am I disagree with passing on Danny. I have no direct knowledge but our post play seemed to decline after he left. If Bill is committed to running his offense through the block then get Danny back on staff. They could always replace Townsend with a young recruiter if they aren't worried about everything he knows.
Udoka stands out as a counter point, though. I think what’s really hurt our post play is that playing two bigs gets us roasted defensively.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Danny would have/would help DMac become a complete player but that's my GOAT Jayhawk bias showing.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 am
hasbeen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:07 am I disagree with passing on Danny. I have no direct knowledge but our post play seemed to decline after he left. If Bill is committed to running his offense through the block then get Danny back on staff. They could always replace Townsend with a young recruiter if they aren't worried about everything he knows.
Udoka stands out as a counter point, though. I think what’s really hurt our post play is that playing two bigs gets us roasted defensively.
I think Dok was such a massive human being with a good feel that he would've thrived no matter the coaching or the system.

And to be fair, I'm crediting Danny with the past post success only because Self used to do the same. There's no telling how much impact he actually had.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:19 am I think Danny would have/would help DMac become a complete player but that's my GOAT Jayhawk bias showing.
This would seem to run counter to the (generally correct!) narrative you pushed all season, that in fact McCormack is very good.

He improved a ton this year. Without Danny.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think that ( and it's a common theme here ) undermines Dok's progress here as a player.
He improved his body, yes, and he's a big dude obviously, but more importantly he improved his positioning, timing, foot work and defensive prowess.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It took four full years for Dok to develop anything more than a dunk and his range never did venture out beyond about 4 feet. He was really good at what he did well but he would have been vastly better with Manning on staff.

I doubt Manning would taker the job so I'd offer it to Aaron Miles. He has been at the college, G-League and NBA levels and would be a fantastic fit.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

No doubt Dok improved a ton but go watch the biggest buckets of his career, most were on insane lobs from a guard that only Dok could grab. If his low block work had improved at the same rate as the rest of his game, he would've been a rare (these days) lowblock big taken in the top 10.

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:25 am
It took four full years for Dok to develop anything more than a dunk and his range never did venture out beyond about 4 feet. He was really good at what he did well but he would have been vastly better with Manning on staff.

I doubt Manning would taker the job so I'd offer it to Aaron Miles. He has been at the college, G-League and NBA levels and would be a fantastic fit.
I guess I'm just not hung up at all on ties to the program. I care a lot more about (1) ties to recruiting pipelines and (2) a modern approach to the game.

If Miles has some of #2 by operation of his Golden State connection, super. But I don't see KU experience being anything more than a tiebreaker.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Given the uncertainty surrounding the program, it might be a good look for Bill to bring in some beloved alums whether it's Danny or Miles.

Hey, if we want a modern approach to the game/world, how about kicking the tires on Paul Pierce for lead recruiter? He needs a job.

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 am Given the uncertainty surrounding the program, it might be a good look for Bill to bring in some beloved alums whether it's Danny or Miles.

Hey, if we want a modern approach to the game/world, how about kicking the tires on Paul Pierce for lead recruiter? He needs a job.
I wonder some if Michael Lee is a more viable candidate than Miles (if you're staying in the family). If I have a path to an NBA assistant job, let alone an NBA head job, I'm not giving that up to be on Bill's bench.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

OK, last post from me on the topic, but I like the idea of a modern approach to the game. Let's go get Boschee and lock the entire team in the gym with him to work on shooting.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Withey also took his biggest step without Danny.

Recruiter first, or find someone to fix the offense. Danny would make more sense replacing Norm.

Danny and Hudy are in the same category for KU fans: very good, but impact is/was wildly overvalued.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:45 am Withey also took his biggest step without Danny.

Recruiter first, or find someone to fix the offense. Danny would make more sense replacing Norm.

Danny and Hudy are in the same category for KU fans: very good, but impact is/was wildly overvalued.
When did Withey take a step forward on the block? I don't recall that ever being a skill of his -- with Danny or without.

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 am
hasbeen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 am Given the uncertainty surrounding the program, it might be a good look for Bill to bring in some beloved alums whether it's Danny or Miles.

I wonder some if Michael Lee is a more viable candidate than Miles (if you're staying in the family). If I have a path to an NBA assistant job, let alone an NBA head job, I'm not giving that up to be on Bill's bench.
I’m definitely in the pro Miles camp if it has to be a Jayhawk. He does have experience that we don’t currently have to sell recruits.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:49 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:45 am Withey also took his biggest step without Danny.

When did Withey take a step forward on the block? I don't recall that ever being a skill of his -- with Danny or without.
Well he was never a Collison, but it was non-existent until his senior season when he could actually get a bucket on the block and his scoring numbers improved.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am

I’m definitely in the pro Miles camp if it has to be a Jayhawk. He does have experience that we don’t currently have to sell recruits.
Speaking of unsatisfying - I'm guessing the most likely path is Case at least until the dust settles. I would understand if it's really hard to get the recruiting ace you need, when recruiting is under the microscope.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am

Speaking of unsatisfying - I'm guessing the most likely path is Case at least until the dust settles. I would understand if it's really hard to get the recruiting ace you need, when recruiting is under the microscope.
I had thought Quartlebaum was higher in the pecking order than Case, but agree on both being unsatisfying.

Many had wanting a staff shakeup after this season—I just think that would mean going outside the KU comfort box.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m so tired of this “uncertainty surrounding the program” bullshit.

DMac and Och were fall semester freshmen when it started. At this rate, they’ll have degrees before the ncaa is done.