How we learned it in school

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: How we learned it in school

Post by ousdahl »

MJ23 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:58 pm As a 4th or 5th grader we had a teacher named Carl Benoit.
Someone's older sibling thought it was funny to call him Mr. Ben Wa Balls so of course we started doing it. The Principal had a tough time explaining to us why it was inappropriate.
Oh man.

There was an overweight science teacher named Mr. Fassee (pronounced fa-see). Didn’t take long for that to turn into Mr. Fatassee.

There was also this tiny little English teacher, fresh outta college, who was a total nerd and everybody kind of ripped on her. I was the only one she got along with, cuz she thought I was such a great writer or something. I guess she must have read my work on the satellite bored.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 pm
MJ23 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:58 pm As a 4th or 5th grader we had a teacher named Carl Benoit.
Someone's older sibling thought it was funny to call him Mr. Ben Wa Balls so of course we started doing it. The Principal had a tough time explaining to us why it was inappropriate.
Oh man.

There was an overweight science teacher named Mr. Fassee (pronounced fa-see). Didn’t take long for that to turn into Mr. Fatassee.

There was also this tiny little English teacher, fresh outta college, who was a total nerd and everybody kind of ripped on her. I was the only one she got along with, cuz she thought I was such a great writer or something. I guess she must have read my work on the satellite bored.
How was she in the sack? Or do I need to ask The Beav?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I can do long division. But not cursive.
There were no calculators when I was in grade school.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think its good to not be reliant on tech. Writing and long division are reasonable skills to have
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:20 pm and man, I WISH I could remember what they taught us in the Dare program.

But all I remember was the dude who won the dare essay contest is now the biggest pothead I know.
I had a friend who answered every single DARE question with, "if there is enough money involved, I would do it." Until by the end of the year, the DARE cop snapped and yelled at him.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

What was the counterpart to DARE? It was the same thing but anti-gang. Can't remember the acronym
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:21 pm the Pocahontas/John Smith story is bs

as is most of telling of “taming” the west...at least until maybe jr. high (i think that’s about when the Trail of Tears is taught). even so, much of “relationship” between white settlers and american indians is glossed over. very little attention is given to heritage or diversity of cultures that was present before whitey even set foot on this continent
Watching a documentary right now called "Horse Tribe" about the Nez Perce. I think youd appreciate it. A little of this from the Nez Perce perspective
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I went to Catholic school until college, so suffice it to say I was force-fed bucketfuls of wrong.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hey Fish, I wonder if we went to the same high school.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NatGeo has a series of stories highlighting the way in which native peoples, at least here in the america’s, were active managers of the land

forest gardens in BC that increased productivity and biodiversity, and controlled burns in cali that may have consumed as much as 1/8 of the state annually (and a similar phenomenon in the Amazon)

similarly, there is at least one study that was recently published that indicates that lands managed by indigenous peoples support the same levels of biodiversity as conventional protected areas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

One big fundamental difference between natives and colonists is, that the natives believed they belonged to the land, not the other way around.

There may be a lot of benefit to that mindset.

When you really stop and think about it, “property” is kind of a goofy concept.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm I can do long division. But not cursive.
There were no calculators when I was in grade school.
I can still do both, but I struggled with a long division calculation for a few minutes after not doing it for 20 years or so. I youtubed it, and was like, this isn't the way I was taught it...lol. I can still write in cursive, but it isn't the prettiest.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am Hey Fish, I wonder if we went to the same high school.
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:40 am I went to Catholic school until college, so suffice it to say I was force-fed bucketfuls of wrong.

You guys gonna share any stories, or do we have to ask CoyDC about it?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

There were numerous attempts to scare the hell outta me about having sex. Some warranted, like HIV, others, not so much, like HPV or crabs...but man they made it sound bad.

Then I remember it being casually mentioned that you could get hepatitis from a salad bar, yet that was nbd.

If sex was 'sposed to be so dangerous, why the fuck weren't they teaching us to avoid salad bars? I mean, just from a risk/reward standpoint sex was seemingly the smarter bet of the two.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pluto is the 9th planet.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:59 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 am Hey Fish, I wonder if we went to the same high school.
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:40 am I went to Catholic school until college, so suffice it to say I was force-fed bucketfuls of wrong.

You guys gonna share any stories, or do we have to ask CoyDC about it?
I could go on all day. The denial that girls get pregnant, the denial of the existence of homosexuality, the priest that weirdly had an N64 in his inner chambers, the silly dress code on "free dress" days, the hilarious rules at high school dances, the octogenarian nun teachers, the "but I'm a cool priest" young priest trainees, the subversive "I don't really believe this shit" teachers.

My personal favorite was in second grade, which is when you do your first confession (and learn about sin and reconciliation and so on).

The point of the day's lesson was the role of intentionality in determining the relative sinfulness of conduct. The easy example is that if you throw a rock at someone intending to hit them, but you miss, the sin is equally as bad as if you'd hit them. God knows what's in your heart, and so on.

So, second grade Fish says something to the effect of, "So, if every time I say "darn" or "shoot," I mean "damn" or "shit," why can't I just say "damn" and "shit" because I'm sinning either way?"

My career path was not all that mysterious.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So what if I banged a chubby 6 with no tits? In terms of sin bang for my buck, she was a 10.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If I was a priest, I'd play N64.

Hell, I wish I had an N64 right now.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am If I was a priest, I'd play N64.

I was in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, in the 90s and early 2000s. At a minimum, this would seem to be a substantial appearance of impropriety.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:57 am If I was a priest, I'd play N64.

Rockets, Facility.