Coach K

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Coach K

Post by ousdahl »

Who’s ready for like, an over seeded #6 dook getting like 45 free throw attempts to a #3 seed’s 2 ft attempts, so K doesn’t have to end his career in the first weekend?
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

Once he quits, that gives Bill a number to shoot for.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Peace out to that rat.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 pm Also, he kinda one up'd roi here.
I guess, in the sense he just set the stage for a season-long attention fest like roi was expected to do, instead of just stepping down without making a yuge deal about it like roi did.
This.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Good news for KU. I expect that this will lessen the volume of elite recruits that choose to play for The Brotherhood, leaving more good players to filter down to Kansas.

It will be interesting to see how Scheyer does there for the next few years. I wouldn't put money on him being the Duke coach 10 years from now. He'll be the same age K was when he took the Duke job but fans and athletic directors are much less patient than they were in the early 80s.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

LOL, can you imagine believing this?

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/stat ... 24962?s=20
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He's a selfish turd.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:51 pm Good news for KU. I expect that this will lessen the volume of elite recruits that choose to play for The Brotherhood, leaving more good players to filter down to Kansas.

It will be interesting to see how Scheyer does there for the next few years. I wouldn't put money on him being the Duke coach 10 years from now. He'll be the same age K was when he took the Duke job but fans and athletic directors are much less patient than they were in the early 80s.
He'll be their guy to take the fall since KU is seemingly the only school that's had luck replacing a legend. Then after a few years they'll go out and get their Roy, Calipari, etc... ESPN will do the return to glory nonsense or something.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

I assume some/many of you know Scheyer interviewed for the DePaul gig.
Have to assume he wouldn't have done the interview if K and Duke had told him he (K) was leaving and the job would be his. Therefore, I have to figure this was not in the making until very recently. Hmmmm.
Where is Lobby to tell us Scheyer getting the Dook job is/was blackmail?
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm He's a selfish turd.
In some regards yes. In others, far from it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think it's a bad idea, generally, to let the departing guy pick his successor.

I think it's a supremely terrible goddamned idea to pick, in this case, a guy who was around for Bagley and Zion and whatever else the last 7-8 years.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 pm I think it's a bad idea, generally, to let the departing guy pick his successor.

I think it's a supremely terrible goddamned idea to pick, in this case, a guy who was around for Bagley and Zion and whatever else the last 7-8 years.
I think UNC and Duke have both screwed this up terribly.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 pm I think it's a bad idea, generally, to let the departing guy pick his successor.

30 for 30: The Fall Guy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder if K would have let anyone other than K pick K’s successor.

And fish can you please elaborate on your point about Zion and Bagley?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh I think CnB’s comment makes it make sense
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:42 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pmI remember posting once...maybe on the dotnet...that it felt like Scheyer was being groomed for the position.

I think it's probably a huuge mistake. But, not that surprising. It just FELT like that was the plan from a few years back.
In 90% of circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised.

But, this is thee blueblood basketball brand and they are passing on a guy that went to two championship games for a 33-year-old guy that hasn't been a head coach just to keep it in the family?

Are we OK in five-ish years if Bill demands that Jeremy Case take over our blueblood program, because that is kind of what UNC and Duke just did. Crazy.
Oh, it's a surprise from the perspective of Dook being a national program and all that.

It's not a surprise because if felt like it was happening. And because when coaches become transcendent they do shit like this.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:02 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pmI remember posting once...maybe on the dotnet...that it felt like Scheyer was being groomed for the position.

I think it's probably a huuge mistake. But, not that surprising. It just FELT like that was the plan from a few years back.

But, this is thee blueblood basketball brand and they are passing on a guy that went to two championship games for a 33-year-old guy that hasn't been a head coach just to keep it in the family?

Are we OK in five-ish years if Bill demands that Jeremy Case take over our blueblood program, because that is kind of what UNC and Duke just did. Crazy.
Oh, it's a surprise from the perspective of Dook being a national program and all that.

It's not a surprise because if felt like it was happening. And because when coaches become transcendent they do shit like this.
I might be way off, but I hope, and even think that Bill's ego won't be big enough to pull this on KU.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm

I might be way off, but I hope, and even think that Bill's ego won't be big enough to pull this on KU.
I hope not too.

But also, who would it be? Other than Townsend, who is no longer even a possibility, he doesn't have the longtime loyal old fart who never got his chance, and he doesn't have the young protege he's been grooming either.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, but you should see how well Case can coach in practice
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:06 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:04 pm

I hope not too.

But also, who would it be? Other than Townsend, who is no longer even a possibility, he doesn't have the longtime loyal old fart who never got his chance, and he doesn't have the young protege he's been grooming either.
Case, or someone outside the current program like Miles. Or really just any former player we don't know yet will be into coaching.