Solstice

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Solstice

Post by japhy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1FYH-ecf7Q

Chances are the surge flow will be over by Solstice. It is usually in early June.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:54 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW1-_CwowBk&t=3s

Overlander?
Done it. Short, and as aggressive as you want to be
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:16 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRxD3eH19hE&t=513s

It's Saguache County, the Sheriff's Dept fits the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scnkq6g_IPM
I was looking forward to seeing a cameo appearance by Tom.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I still haven't asked Tom about that one. I assume he did the autopsy.

It's like a Viking funeral without the boat.

https://agoodgoodbye.com/field-notes/cr ... ral-pyres/
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I spoke with Adam from the Frontier this evening. The opening of the Frontier is a "probable" for 6/25. They have no definite date for delivery of a shit pump for their on-site sewage plant and that is why it is "probable". There is a Plan B for delivery of porta-potties, but there is some question about whether or not that is appropriate for VIPs. My friends are accustomed to pissing in dark alleys so they aren't really an issue.

We discussed the events planned for the Frontier and our tentative plans for the Spud Lounge. It was decided that a collaboration is in order. The Grand Opening and Solstice will be a joint venture.

If the Frontier is open; then there will be a VIP night on 6/24 for artists, curators, collectors, directors. The next night, 6/25, would be an "open to the public" party. There will be a party at our shitshow on 6/24 for those not important enough to get an invite to the VIP party. That would be all of us.

Regardless of whether or not the Frontier is open on that date, Solstice is on for 6/25/22. We will host some of the events that would otherwise be at the Frontier, in the Mor Valu if push comes to shove.

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

We have two potential musical performers we will talk to. Both would include a combination of music and video display. This performance will either take place in the Drive In with projection onto the big screen or in the "venue"/rumpus room behind Pizza No Mas.

The collage party will be on 6/25 in the Mor Valu and we are working on guest artists for the event. There is a collage group in Denver that may attend and they would do a large scale decoupage of the Center Theater. Work will start on engaging them next week. I will be talking to a photo muralist about coming to town and participating with a large scale install on a storefront or store back or store interior. These installations would be open to the public so you will want to show up for that and engage with the artists. These are interesting people. The after-party will be in the Spud Lounge.

The marching band will perform on the morning of 6/25 on Worth Street. If you haven't seen Overlander march and play the kazoo, he is a muthafuckin spry dandy he is. You will wanna be there for that.

You can make reservations at the Monte Villa Hotel in Monte Vista. There is camping nearby at Penitente Canyon but the campground fills quickly that time of year with rock climbers. Even if the Frontier is open that weekend, none of us are important enough to rate a room there so you will have to look in the surrounding area. You can PM me for more hotel/motel recommendations. Ousdahl already called Big Blue, so that is off the table.

Everyone is welcome at Solstice, and a good time will be had by all. I will update you as things get more definitive in the weeks to come.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

As many times as I've been out there, I still haven't seen this phenomena. I can't wait to just sit and watch.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

If you have seen a huge flock of geese it's not much different other than the weird hopping up and down dances they do to interact. The sound is the crazy part, that made me laugh the first time I heard them. The sound seems silly coming out of such a big damn bird. During the day I see them spread out in the fields north of Monte. At sunrise and sunset they all head back to the wildlife refuge wetlands south of town. I haven't been down there for that, but I suspect that is spectacular. Instead of hundreds you would see tens of thousands of them.

As soon as we finish our chores we can do that.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have not met Johnny but my friend Ron speaks reverently of him. At some point when we get done with our building projects we will take the time to go down there and have dinner.

https://www.newmexicomagazine.org/blog/ ... nny-ortiz/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3dP1xVisw
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We serve the local brew unless I bring in Bryant's ribs for a special event, and then we serve Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad. Last year at Solstice we had the Three Barrel Brewery - Hop Trash on tap if my memory isn't too cloudy. I think there was an issue getting a keg from Colorado Farm Brewery but we might try again this year.

https://www.threebarrelbrew.com

https://www.cofarmbeer.com
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i was curious, so googled el centro

the first image that comes up is drive-in, which looks cool as shit…all sorts of nostalgic
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

See Japhy???

Told you I was recruiting ol’ Trad!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’d truly love to crash the party

work, wife, dogs…adulting sucks sometimes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?