Flight Cancellations

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Flight Cancellations

Post by zsn »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:48 pm maybe they'll ban flying next
Wouldn't be the worst thing that has happened lately.

It would be good for the environment if they did, that's for sure.
The guy living in an urban neighborhood driving an 8 mpg pickup truck says “hold my beer”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:25 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:48 pm maybe they'll ban flying next

The guy living in an urban neighborhood driving an 8 mpg pickup truck says “hold my beer”
flying for a vacation causes more harm than that dudes relatively short commute all year. Its going to need to be a combination of things. But you can't shout at the truck driver from your high horse and then fly to Europe for vacation.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

placing some limit on air travel, I imagine, would be met with fierce opposition from the BUT MAH RIGHTS crowd, wouldn't it?

but...how would the rubes really receive it?

would they welcome it cuz they consider the 4-5+ round trip flights a year to be the stuff of the white collar big city types they loathe?

or would they once again cut off their noses to spite their faces stand in solidarity with evil rich people anyway?

either way, it's not like the average Jim Bob can afford to book a bunch of superfluous air travel just to own the libs.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

there’s as reason Al Gore called it what he did
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think things you have to do/be forced to do are very different than things you get to.

Airline trips are things you get to.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:32 am

flying for a vacation causes more harm than that dudes relatively short commute all year. Its going to need to be a combination of things. But you can't shout at the truck driver from your high horse and then fly to Europe for vacation.
Are you sure about the math there? I’ll stop flying overseas for my vacation when the dudes (plural) down the street from me stop driving their pickup trucks which, as far as I know, have never picked up anything.

Btw, my rooftop has generated roughly 22 MWh of power in the last approximately two years that I’ve been able to track production using my app. I had a smaller system for about 15 years before that and probably generated about 500 kWh/mo during that time
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

1 overseas airlines trip worth of gas/pollution is a lot of driving miles, even for a pickup truck.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:23 pm I think things you have to do/be forced to do are very different than things you get to.

can the average entitled American tell the difference?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No.
Though I do believe in inherent rights.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:52 pm
pdub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:23 pm I think things you have to do/be forced to do are very different than things you get to.

Approximately 38% of Americans fly at least once per year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
I’m looking at those who fly 4-5 times more than that to pay into their travel.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:39 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:32 am

Are you sure about the math there? I’ll stop flying overseas for my vacation when the dudes (plural) down the street from me stop driving their pickup trucks which, as far as I know, have never picked up anything.

Btw, my rooftop has generated roughly 22 MWh of power in the last approximately two years that I’ve been able to track production using my app. I had a smaller system for about 15 years before that and probably generated about 500 kWh/mo during that time
bolded the part that gets me.

maybe it's one thing if you're some kinda rancher or construction worker or some blue collar type who regularly uses a truck to actually do truck things. But have you seen the price of an optioned out super duty and shit these days? Turns out, most of those big truck bros live in cookie cutter suburban neighborhoods and work in like finance and shit.

turns out, the biggest thing ever hauled in most of those trucks, is simply their egos. Cuz it's definitely not their penises.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:55 pm

so approximately 62% of Americans DONT fly at least once a year then?

so some reduction in flights, mandated or otherwise, should enjoy some popular support, right?

The majority of Americans aren't affected at all. Surely they wouldn't argue for as many or more flights anyway just cuz, right?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:03 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:55 pm

so approximately 62% of Americans DONT fly at least once a year then?

so some reduction in flights, mandated or otherwise, should enjoy some popular support, right?

The majority of Americans aren't affected at all. Surely they wouldn't argue for as many or more flights anyway just cuz, right?
Both good questions.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:58 pm Right.
I'd be fine with even less than that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

I'm afeared the "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" would raise quite a fuss about it, actual class consciousness be damned.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:58 pm Right.
among other powers that be, what would the airline industry have to say about this?

bear in mind, they draw a lot of water...heck, they successfully lobbied the feds to just arbitrarily change covid quarantine protocols from 10 days to 5, not cuz that's what doctors said to do, but just for the sake of keeping their flight attendant positions staffed. It's freaky how much the "science" ends up yielding to the "economics" in this country.

do we really think they're gonna be OK with putting biscuit wheels on their gravy train just for the sake of something as silly as trying to curb the destruction of the world? think of their profits, bro!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But I’m also in the camp where the ultra wealthy should pay so so much more in tax but the money should be easily and well mapped out with a clean searchable interface for the public to see, and even vote, where it is spent.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is all hypothetical.
Would never happen.
Money rules.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

settle down, Qusdahl.