Brittney Griner

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Brittney Griner

Post by pdub »

In a vacuum, yes.
This is an absolute political play and a little publicity chess game of power.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:17 pm The US will trade the "Merchant of Death" for her so she can come back and talk more shit on the country that just saved her ass.
Is that a fact or an opinion?
First off, my guess is you have zero idea who Viktor Bout is, zero idea why he was arrested, and zero idea how and where he was arrested, but I will give you the benefit of my doubt.
Yes, he is a much worse person than Brittney Griner. That I can and will give you.
Second, tell me what shit she has talked about the USA? Give me some specifics.
Let me guess, you're NOT a Black woman who has been bullied much of your life because of your skin color and sexuality. Perhaps if you were, you might just feel similar to her but hey - I know, she should just shut up and dribble. Right?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:47 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:17 pm The US will trade the "Merchant of Death" for her so she can come back and talk more shit on the country that just saved her ass.
First off, my guess is you have zero idea who Viktor Bout is, zero idea why he was arrested, and zero idea how and where he was arrested, but I will give you the benefit of my doubt.
Yes, he is a much worse person than Brittney Griner. That I can and will give you.
Let me guess, you're NOT a Black woman who has been bullied much of your life because of your skin color and sexuality. Perhaps if you were, you might just feel similar to her but hey - I know, she should just shut up and dribble. Right?
Opinion.

I have read up on Viktor Bout and I also read up on Paul Whelan (the other prisoner who the US may trade Bout for).

I don't have to be a black woman to call balls-and-strikes...everyone has a sob story or two, she has her's and despite all the oppression she faced/faces, now she's a black married lesbian who makes a very good living playing basketball.

The one thing that stuck out to me the most was when she said that the National Anthem shouldn't be played at WNBA games...maybe that's not talking shit about America, maybe she loves America, even when it's not convenient...but it bothered me. She doesn't need to "shut up and dribble"; she can say whatever she wants and have whatever opinions she wants...and I'll do the same; and this is my opinion about her and her situation.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ she can say whatever she wants and have whatever opinions she wants...and I'll do the same; and this is my opinion about her and her situation.”

I’ll allow it.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:16 pm
Opinion.

I have read up on Viktor Bout and I also read up on Paul Whelan (the other prisoner who the US may trade Bout for).

I don't have to be a black woman to call balls-and-strikes...everyone has a sob story or two, she has her's and despite all the oppression she faced/faces, now she's a black married lesbian who makes a very good living playing basketball.

The one thing that stuck out to me the most was when she said that the National Anthem shouldn't be played at WNBA games...maybe that's not talking shit about America, maybe she loves America, even when it's not convenient...but it bothered me. She doesn't need to "shut up and dribble"; she can say whatever she wants and have whatever opinions she wants...and I'll do the same; and this is my opinion about her and her situation.
I sincerely appreciate your respectful, well thought out, and honest response.
I apologize for assuming something (that you didn't know about Viktor Bout) that wasn't true.

In regards to "balls-and-stikes", sure - everyone has a sob story but not a single one of us has lived in her shoes (head). Some people move on from what has scared them and some don't.

I try not to get involved in a National Anthem debate being that it means different things to different people for reasons that are personal to them. I actually respect your honesty in saying and feeling it bothered you when she said she felt it shouldn't be played at WNBA games but that being said, I kind of agree with her. I really don't understand why there is a need for the National Anthem to be played at sporting events - and why it's not played at other public gatherings such as most concerts, movies, plays, etc. I'm not going to say I feel it's foolish to play and sing it at sporting events but is it really necessary?
We display the flag at sporting events. Why not have/make people say the Pledge of Allegiance too?

I have mentioned this before. Either 9 or 10 years ago I was in Pacific Palisades on the Fourth of July.
At some point a school band played God Bless America. I chose not to sing and someone got in my face and was pissed off. He repeatedly told me I don't love America. He was right. I don't. There are many things I do like about this country (and reasons why I feel fortunate to live in the USA) but I don't love it. Thus, one of the reasons why I didn't feel the NEED (or even the desire) to sing God Bless America. Difference between me and people such as Brittney Griner is that he was the only person in the world who expressed he gave a damn that I didn't sing. He cared more about my not singing than he cared about himself singing. Why don't people care more about themselves and what they do (and don't do) and less about other people and what they do and don't do? It's just a thought.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:56 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:16 pm

Opinion.

I sincerely appreciate your respectful, well thought out, and honest response.
I apologize for assuming something (that you didn't know about Viktor Bout) that wasn't true.

In regards to "balls-and-stikes", sure - everyone has a sob story but not a single one of us has lived in her shoes (head). Some people move on from what has scared them and some don't.

I try not to get involved in a National Anthem debate being that it means different things to different people for reasons that are personal to them. I actually respect your honesty in saying and feeling it bothered you when she said she felt it shouldn't be played at WNBA games but that being said, I kind of agree with her. I really don't understand why there is a need for the National Anthem to be played at sporting events - and why it's not played at other public gatherings such as most concerts, movies, plays, etc. I'm not going to say I feel it's foolish to play and sing it at sporting events but is it really necessary?
We display the flag at sporting events. Why not have/make people say the Pledge of Allegiance too?

I have mentioned this before. Either 9 or 10 years ago I was in Pacific Palisades on the Fourth of July.
At some point a school band played God Bless America. I chose not to sing and someone got in my face and was pissed off. He repeatedly told me I don't love America. He was right. I don't. There are many things I do like about this country (and reasons why I feel fortunate to live in the USA) but I don't love it. Thus, one of the reasons why I didn't feel the NEED (or even the desire) to sing God Bless America. Difference between me and people such as Brittney Griner is that he was the only person in the world who expressed he gave a damn that I didn't sing. He cared more about my not singing than he cared about himself singing. Why don't people care more about themselves and what they do (and don't do) and less about other people and what they do and don't do? It's just a thought.
You bring up valid points and there is no need for an apology.

I have always had an issue with having a lack of empathy...I don't know why, but I don't like it. You're right, I don't know what Griner has been through or why she feels the way she feels and I definitely need to be better at looking at things a bit deeper and trying to put myself in other people's shoes. I just look at all she has had stacked against her and then look at all she's achieved and think that probably couldn't have happened anywhere else than America.

I used to never give a rat's ass about our country, but the older I've gotten the more I've learned to appreciate it and love it. I think 9/11 changed a lot for me. I also think living in a time where so many Americans openly talk about their hate for our country has only made my feelings that much stronger.

It's cheesy, but I've had some instances where the National Anthem has given me goosebumps, with that being said I probably wouldn't have sung the National Anthem either...I dig it a lot, but I don't necessarily love to sing it. Not saying you should have beat that dude's ass, but it wouldn't have been the worst thing to have happened in this world.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This is how people with differing opinions should communicate.

So far you both get A’s.
( gutter still has a C up from an F for starting the thread like he did but this A really bumped up his score )

But don’t mind me, I just swallowed a bug.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

yes. they are literally asking for a guy nicknamed "the merchant of death" as a prisoner swap. Griner can rot in Russian jail if that is the asking price
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'd rather trade for russell westbrook right now than brittney griner
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why you gotta use the word rot as if you actually want her to rot, randy?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 pm This is how people with differing opinions should communicate.

So far you both get A’s.
( gutter still has a C up from an F for starting the thread like he did but this A really bumped up his score )

But don’t mind me, I just swallowed a bug.
Haha! Appreciate that pdub.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 pm This is how people with differing opinions should communicate.
^^^^
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm Why you gotta use the word rot as if you actually want her to rot, randy?
lol no pdub i don't want her to rot. I don't agree with weed being illegal. there is a much stronger case for alcohol being illegal than weed, and we know that ain't happening. I think its really really weird that marijuana possession is illegal anywhere on this planet. like who are we as a species on this planet to declare another species existance as "illegal"... especially a harmless plant that just happens to get you a little stoned when consumed
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

but at the end of the day Brittney Griner made a dumbass move at a bad time. Before you travel abroad you need to be aware of the laws of places you are going. and breaking them at a very politically sensitive time was a really dumb thing for her to do. I'd like to see her free. she didn't do anything to hurt anybody. but if the cost of her freedom is a prisoner exchange for a violent war criminal... i mean come on there is just nothing logical about that.

but yes. we really need to do something about weed laws in this country. i hate politics in this country, but stepping up and changing it on a federal level is a no brainer at this point
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think it'll eventually all play out this way. absolutely dumb. but look at the political landscape in our country. it fits right in with all the stupid shit I've seen the past several years
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

randylahey wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:45 am but at the end of the day Brittney Griner made a dumbass move at a bad time. Before you travel abroad you need to be aware of the laws of places you are going. and breaking them at a very politically sensitive time was a really dumb thing for her to do. I'd like to see her free. she didn't do anything to hurt anybody. but if the cost of her freedom is a prisoner exchange for a violent war criminal... i mean come on there is just nothing logical about that.

but yes. we really need to do something about weed laws in this country. i hate politics in this country, but stepping up and changing it on a federal level is a no brainer at this point
Man, that squirrel and nut analogy is hitting strong!
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Our greatest ambassador/diplomat to "evil leaders" is on the case! Watch him get it done. :?

https://www.yardbarker.com/wnba/article ... loc=left_h
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Didn't he get someone out of North Korea? If it works, it works and more power to him.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:42 am
pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm Why you gotta use the word rot as if you actually want her to rot, randy?
lol no pdub i don't want her to rot. I don't agree with weed being illegal. there is a much stronger case for alcohol being illegal than weed, and we know that ain't happening. I think its really really weird that marijuana possession is illegal anywhere on this planet. like who are we as a species on this planet to declare another species existance as "illegal"... especially a harmless plant that just happens to get you a little stoned when consumed
Especially when a thousand other plants are being used to create pharmaceuticals that get you a little stoned when consumed legally every single day. It's asinine.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Brittney on her way home to the USA.
What a horrible trade.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.