List em all here.
Basically daycare at this point.
twocoach

Re: Historic Student Loan Relief

Post by twocoach »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:40 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:14 am

My take is that public education is essentially just tax payer provided development of their children outside of their home so that kids learn how to learn from people who aren't their parents.
sadly, this is no longer the case in much of the country
Yep, it’s become(ing) a joke.
I am perfectly happy my my public education experiences in Missouri, Michigan and Colorado when I was in school (the school I went to in Delaware was pretty trashy) and have been happy with our public education experience here in Nebraska.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:38 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:13 am
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am what about the kids that busted their ass getting scholarships so they didnt have to be burdened with debt and/or could go to college at all? fuck them huh? why reward hard work at all? whats the incentive for people to go above and beyond to improve/prove themselves if debts are forgiven anyway?
This is just "where's mine" mentality. Their reward was that they got scholarships. The incentive for people to go above and beyond is that there is zero guarantee that this is anything more than a one time action to help spur the economy and please young voters.
As I've stated...Im not speaking of this particular 1 time action. Im speaking towards the growing demand that all student loans are forgiven.
I haven't seen any calls for all student loans to be forgiven forever. I have seen it called for that all current debt be forgiven, which would be a one time event. But I haven't done any deep dive into the topic.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:57 am what about the kids that busted their ass getting scholarships so they didnt have to be burdened with debt and/or could go to college at all? fuck them huh? why reward hard work at all? whats the incentive for people to go above and beyond to improve/prove themselves if debts are forgiven anyway?
This is just "where's mine" mentality. Their reward was that they got scholarships. The incentive for people to go above and beyond is that there is zero guarantee that this is anything more than a one time action to help spur the economy and please young voters.
As I've stated...Im not speaking of this particular 1 time action. Im speaking towards the growing demand that all student loans are forgiven.
I think it could disincentivize future students from working for scholarships with the thought that if loans were forgiven before, they would be again.

I disagree with student loan forgiveness generally. But I do think we should find a way to make student loans be offered at an extremely, almost zero, interest rate.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:00 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:34 am
sadly, this is no longer the case in much of the country
I am perfectly happy my my public education experiences in Missouri, Michigan and Colorado when I was in school (the school I went to in Delaware was pretty trashy) and have been happy with our public education experience here in Nebraska.
I had a great experience with public education in Kansas. And am confident it will be a great experience here in Maine.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:09 pm

I had a great experience with public education in Kansas. And am confident it will be a great experience here in Maine.
the landscape is markedly different now than it was when we were in primary school

in hindsight it now seems like the beginning of this trend, but there was a prominent and widely respected teacher in Lawrence that was forced into early retirement because a few local religious parents who were also connected to the school board decided that the teacher should be giving equal time to creationism in their biology curriculum as they were giving to evolution

more evidence religion…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:01 pm

I haven't seen any calls for all student loans to be forgiven forever. I have seen it called for that all current debt be forgiven, which would be a one time event. But I haven't done any deep dive into the topic.
so the idea is that this generation, that we forced into higher education, is super special....so we forgive their loans and then go back to paying for education for the next generation like it was before? I dont think thats gonna fly.....

I'm not sure those calling for total forgiveness have given any thought to, or planned for the large scale reinvention of the system that would be required in the wake of that decision. Similar to another poster here with world saving grandiose ideas for utopian change.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:19 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:09 pm
the landscape is markedly different now than it was when we were in primary school

in hindsight it now seems like the beginning of this trend, but there was a prominent and widely respected teacher in Lawrence that was forced into early retirement because a few local religious parents who were also connected to the school board decided that the teacher should be giving equal time to creationism in their biology curriculum as they were giving to evolution

more evidence religion…
Roth at LHS? Around when I was in high school.

Yet creationism in Kansas schools was rejected in 07.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:26 pm

so the idea is that this generation, that we forced into higher education, is super special....so we forgive their loans and then go back to paying for education for the next generation like it was before? I dont think thats gonna fly.....

I'm not sure those calling for total forgiveness have given any thought to, or planned for the large scale reinvention of the system that would be required in the wake of that decision. Similar to another poster here with world saving grandiose ideas for utopian change.
I personally feel that this whole "college should be free" stuff is dumb and that none of these student loan forgivenesses should happen at all so let's just start with that. It feels mostly like an attempt to win votes from young people.

I get that people don't like debt and that we would rather spend our money on more interesting things than student loans but sorry, pay for your schooling in some form. If you want a "free education" then you will get an education that is worth what you paid for it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What twocoach said.
And there is free education here in the form of scholarships.
You have to work for em.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

If everything is free then nothing has value.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:26 pm

I personally feel that this whole "college should be free" stuff is dumb and that none of these student loan forgivenesses should happen at all so let's just start with that. It feels mostly like an attempt to win votes from young people.

I get that people don't like debt and that we would rather spend our money on more interesting things than student loans but sorry, pay for your schooling in some form. If you want a "free education" then you will get an education that is worth what you paid for it.
I agree with all of that.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why/how would this "spur" the economy?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:16 pm
Why/how would this "spur" the economy?
You'd think the average person who previously had to send $100 a month to a student loan payment would just start putting that money into savings if they no longer had that debt but odds are higher that they would just see it as an extra $100 to spend and would spend it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It is, in a sense, a stimulus for the kids.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think they both need to forgive all of it, 100% of the current outstanding, and also learn from the major mistakes at the government level that played a big role in getting here.

The federal government will have nearly 3 years of student loan payment pause and there's still no clear plan to avoid this again. (not to mention, the federal government operated just fine without the payments).

Current administration has approved billions in forgiveness and it's a drop in the bucket. That's likely to mean that there's no model debtor that is responsible for this. Kind of like the welfare queen lie. The common denominators are: the horribly designed loans, repayment programs, The United States of America, and the ridiculously expensive secondary education system.

I've paid off an absurd amount of money and don't feel slighted at all today--really happy for those with outstanding balance, especially the ones that are now at 0 and hoping there's much more to come.

Also, POLS board.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I hope they forgive my mortgage debt while there at it.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My daughter just called. Seems she and her husband each get 10K forgiven. Not that they were having trouble paying it back but they're pretty happy right now. She's doing her happy dance. Thanks for the tax dollars, loosers.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Some of you don't seem to have a very good understanding of how PPP loans worked, what their purpose was, and/or what qualified portions of those loan balances to be forgiven (not paid back).