Adidas and Kanye

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: Adidas and Kanye

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:27 pm How would Israel's right wing government be considered left wing here?
They're for Universal healthcare and a strong social safety net. Social justice is a big thing in Judaism, it's part of the reason the majority of American Jews are Democrats.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:38 pm And he should have the right to promote whatever he wants, as shitty as it is.
But the NBA has the right to go, hellnah.
^^^^

as does twitter…if only
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:46 pm I still lean toward some paradoxical ideal of "we should not tolerate intolerance"
sounds awful “woke” to me
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, decidedly more woke than "it's better to keep circulating Mein Kampf as some matter of unconditional free speech, cuz even if and when some bigots get their hands on it, and become even more bigoted because of it, and maybe even become inspired to do something stoopid, at least it'll be more obvious who the bigots are!"

perhaps one should ask, what GOOD can come from continuing to distribute or otherwise tolerate Mein Kampf? What can we learn from it today? Can we learn from it today?

Weren't/aren't the Germans pretty uptight today about discussing Mein Kampf, and/or pretty much everything else about the early-30s to mid-40s?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

No, Germany doesn't bury their history at all, they teach it and accept responsibility for it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa

so if we're gonna go full woke...

I wonder what Merica could learn from Germany?

(CRT has entered the chat...)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:38 pm And he should have the right to promote whatever he wants, as shitty as it is.
^^^^

as does twitter…if only
I think big social media, like Twitter, has risen above just a business, although I understand it technically is a business, to become a branch of free speech. Digital communication might, if it hasn't already, overtake any other form of communication and it's only going to get 'worse'. I think there is a responsibility here to be as agnostic as possible, even if it means allowing people to spew filth. There should be methods/algorithms in place to completely silence the type of people that you don't want to listen to...but the issue is, people who are against what these people say, love to listen to it, so they can respond and unite in silencing.

Just foe them. But make the foe button work as best as you possibly can.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

this is prob too woke, but I think we could collectively do ourselves some favors by somehow treating social media less as a private for-profit business and more as some kinda public utility.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree in theory.
But the government would have a good chance of fucking that thing up, however you consider fucking it up, every other election cycle.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:42 pm
^^^^

as does twitter…if only
I think big social media, like Twitter, has risen above just a business, although I understand it technically is a business, to become a branch of free speech. Digital communication might, if it hasn't already, overtake any other form of communication and it's only going to get 'worse'. I think there is a responsibility here to be as agnostic as possible, even if it means allowing people to spew filth. There should be methods/algorithms in place to completely silence the type of people that you don't want to listen to...but the issue is, people who are against what these people say, love to listen to it, so they can respond and unite in silencing.

Speaking of which, you really should work on making reply to's from foes hidden.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Give me Elon Musk money and i'll have that thing done tonight.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:50 pm Give me Elon Musk money and i'll have that thing done tonight.
How much do I need to venmo you for me to be un-foe-able like you?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I wouldn't do that to people even for all the money in the world.
Also, you guys can't foe me?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bro but friending you was like the first thing I did on the kcrim.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:42 pm
^^^^

as does twitter…if only

i think i could agree with you generally

the larger issue, in my mind, is that it’s much to easy for hurtful “messages” to be amplified to the point where they do serious harm (thinking about bullying and suicide)

imo, there must be a point where intervention is warranted. the purveyors (again, just my opinion) have an obligation to make reasonable efforts to prevent the amplification of what i’ll just broadly refer to as “hate speech”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 pm this is prob too woke, but I think we could collectively do ourselves some favors by somehow treating social media less as a private for-profit business and more as some kinda public utility.
cart before the horse, bro

gotta treat the internet that way first
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Trad worried about bullying? 🤣
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pussy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:04 pmpussy
I dunno what illy said to warrant this reply

but regardless...

POTD
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:05 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:04 pmpussy
I dunno what illy said to warrant this reply

but regardless...

POTD
faux victimhood