Contributor

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

OMG! That makes me so freaking mad. What a terrible mistake by people who know better.
Examples like this influence career decisions.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sounds like a modern day Rosalind Franklin situation.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:18 pm Sounds like a modern day Rosalind Franklin situation.
that was my first thought as well
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:18 pm Sounds like a modern day Rosalind Franklin situation.
Q: "What did Watson and Crick discover?"

A: "Rosalind Franklin's notes"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.unilad.co.uk/music/66-year- ... s-at-work/

I feel like this guy is getting screwed. Who doesnt like 2pac? Who doesnt like 2pac cookies?!?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It’s not just Sarah Milov. Female academics aren’t credited in media ‘all the time.’

...“Among female historians, there is a whisper network … You hear these kinds of stories,” said Emily Prifogle, co-founder of Women Also Know History, an organization dedicated to promoting the work of female historians. Last Sunday, when The Lily broke a story about historian Sarah Milov, whose book provided all the material for a recent episode of NPR’s Here & Now but who was never mentioned on the segment, many female historians began speaking up on Twitter.

“There were so many retweets from other women, telling their version of [Milov’s] story,” said Prifogle. Of course, the same thing sometimes happens to white, male scholars, said Karin Wulf, another co-founder of Women Also Know History. But groups underrepresented in academia — people of color, LGBT people and women — “get dissed much more often.” For this article, I spoke to five female academics who recounted near-identical experiences: A media organization drew directly from their work but did not give them credit.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I remember this story from just after I'd graduated from KU about a university in Texas where the one female professor in the department was paid far less than the males, so eventually she sued the university. Her colleagues actually supported her, so when the university gave yearly raises her entire department was given none.

It's kind of amazing that all the guys on the NPR show don't seem to have moved on from that time.
Don't inject Lysol.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Going for a fairly decent promotion at work. Was the first to interview from internal and external candidates late last week. Which I think helps being one of the first and not the last.

I’m still fairly old school and send a handwritten note to the interviewers after my interviews in the past. Is it necessary to do so with an internal interview/promotion?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Uhh ohhh...work beef!

One of the other guides is throwing me under the bus to management...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Someone must be Peanut Butter and Jealous that oussie is moving up in the guide world.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha, something like that.

He went to management and said I “lost” a client. The guy took a phone call and just sat back and talked while I and his buddies walked upstream. When I followed up with the guy, he said no he wasn’t lost he just took a phone call, but he had a great time, he and his buddies are planning another trip. But alas, the other guide feels compelled to take...the most extreme possible interpretation of the situation that no one is taking but him? To apparently make me sound bad.

Then I had a 3rd year repeat client come up yesterday, and had our best stretch of water reserved for months. The other guide had a client who reserved our second best water for two days straight. But somehow on the second day, the other guide and or his client decided they wanted the best water, and tried to have me and my trip kicked off, even though we were already out there.

A few weeks back he yelled and screamed and swore in my face because I had the audacity to assign him to a trip with a kid on it. He HATES kids, how dare I, and now the guests are so upset they’re gonna email the owner and have the whole department fired! (I followed up with the guests and they all said they had a great time.

I’m gonna follow up with the guide this evening and ask what’s going on.

But I kinda feel like I should go to HR first and complain that he’s been erratic and temperamental and bullyish, and making extreme accusations so petty that they’re borderline fabricated stories.

Is that wise?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i would talk to him first, but if you do end up talking to HR you should be able to have the client testimonials to back you up

how often are formal complaints lodged? would these supposed circumstances normally elicit complaints?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Assign him to the daycare.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Maybe quit worrying about what your coworkers are doing and try not getting anymore clients lost.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mrs. Fish is in sales. It's the sort of thing where she gets an upfront chunk of money based on the customer's order, and then a residual relating to recurring fees/charges/expenses.

I can't tell you the last week that went by where there wasn't some beef between/among two or more of the sales people, about whose lead belongs to who, and so on and so forth.

Brutal business.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So guess who just got written up for disciplinary action at work!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Weed, girls, or you went off on a texan?
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Insubordination!

So fishing trips are assigned to guides based on a seniority based list. The longer you been there, the more trips you get.

I was charged with insubordination for complaining whenever the manager assigns a trip to a guide lower than me on the list without giving me the opportunity.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You would never complain about work. Fake news!
Just Ledoux it