Top 25 polls

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Top 25 polls

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If mid to bottom tier 5 schools were scared to hire a coach because they might be successful and leave: 1. That's incredibly stupid. 2. There would never be any coach movement, and of course that's not how it is. and 3. That's infinitely better than being the worst team in the league year over with the same coach you've had for a decade.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Yes, but how many coaches at places like Bowling Green are truly better than Bruce Weber? Not many.

If it is just to get a fresh face for a program then go for it, but Bruce Weber is a better coach than most small school unknown coaches. He's been employed for a long time for a reason. Replacing him with something better isn't as easy as it seems, just ask the Fighting Illini how it worked out for them. They hired a young small school coach and he was worse than Weber. Took them a decade to turn it around to something decent by finding Underwood...and i am still not totally sold on him as being a top 10-15 coach in the country.
I'm not saying they are better, but why do you seem so sure they are worse? Is it a coincidence that Weber's best season at Illinois was coaching a team Self built? His teams consistently got worse every year, outside of one decent season where they finished T2 in the conference and got bounced in the first round. Sounds a lot like his tenure at KSU. Best season was with a team Frank Martin built, then declined every year since, except for one good season.

How confident are you that Weber is a better coach than a guy like Darian DeVries? And thats just head coaches. If its just small school, unknown guys you're worried about, how about assistants? Would you rather have Weber run your team to the bottom of your conference, or hire a young assistant like Jon Scheyer, Kim English, or Gerry McNamara if he were interested to try and build something?
Could you have picked 3 worse names if you tried? Christ. A dukie, mizzou...not only a mizzou but Kim damn English, and goddamn McnaFuckingmara? Are you trying to get my blood pressure up? Ha
it’s illy

what’d you expect?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am
TDub wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm

I'm not saying they are better, but why do you seem so sure they are worse? Is it a coincidence that Weber's best season at Illinois was coaching a team Self built? His teams consistently got worse every year, outside of one decent season where they finished T2 in the conference and got bounced in the first round. Sounds a lot like his tenure at KSU. Best season was with a team Frank Martin built, then declined every year since, except for one good season.

How confident are you that Weber is a better coach than a guy like Darian DeVries? And thats just head coaches. If its just small school, unknown guys you're worried about, how about assistants? Would you rather have Weber run your team to the bottom of your conference, or hire a young assistant like Jon Scheyer, Kim English, or Gerry McNamara if he were interested to try and build something?
Could you have picked 3 worse names if you tried? Christ. A dukie, mizzou...not only a mizzou but Kim damn English, and goddamn McnaFuckingmara? Are you trying to get my blood pressure up? Ha
it’s illy

what’d you expect?
Nah thay was ND.....i expected more.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

whoops, my bad

shoulda just kept my mouth shut
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Haha. Nah we all do it at one time or another
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

i’m just so used to certain posters writing a tome, when a few well-articulated sentences would suffice
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:13 am If mid to bottom tier 5 schools were scared to hire a coach because they might be successful and leave: 1. That's incredibly stupid. 2. There would never be any coach movement, and of course that's not how it is. and 3. That's infinitely better than being the worst team in the league year over with the same coach you've had for a decade.
All good points other than 3 not describing Weber/KState since he has been there.

Weber has won the conference over 20% of his years as the coach. Has en elite 8. And has taken them to the NCAA tournament in all but 3 years (assuming there is a tournament this year and they miss it). Thats 66%. Pretty good for a crappy program like KState imo.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Again, look at his trend the last 2-3 seasons. He’s going to finish last at least 2 years in a row with things not looking great next season.

It’s like saying that Kentucky should have never fired Tubby Smith. Or North Carolina shouldn’t have fired Doherty. Or KU shouldn’t have moved on from Ted Owens. Success almost always buys you a grace period but not a lifetime contract.
Deleted User 863

KState is not Kentucky or Kansas or UNC.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Illy heating up!

Feed him the rock!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The logic is the same. My god.

He’s not going to get fired because he had good results many years ago. He’ll get fired because he has consistently sucked recently
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m just glad we have a poster arguing the Bruce Weber side again.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 pm I’m just glad we have a poster arguing the Bruce Weber side again.
Yes because I’d like him to stay over there. It’s about as perfect of a fit as it gets.

Only more perfect would be if Kansas State fired him and hired Greggggggg.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

To argue against Illy’s main point: I think it’s hard for Kansas State being right next to Lawrence and Self. But, other than a superior coaching staff, what is the one big advantage that Texas Tech has in a basketball program over Kansas State? I don’t think there are any.
Last edited by CrimsonNBlue on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I was a big Jim Wooldridge fan.

particularly with the neck brace.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm The logic is the same. My god.

He’s not going to get fired because he had good results many years ago. He’ll get fired because he has consistently sucked recently
The logic is not and should not be the same. KState made the Elite 8 3 years ago. They won the conference 2 years ago. Places like KState are always going to have stretches of piss poor records. If they fire a coach every 3 or 4 years for not doing what Weber did 2-3 years ago then they're going to have 2 or 3 coaches per decade and be just as shitty as they are this year. 1 "good" year out of 4 is pretty good at a place like KState and Weber is batting way above .250 during his time imo. 2 conference titles, 6 tournament appearances, and an elite 8 in 9 years is historically good for that place. Always going to have down years in Mancrappy no matter who the coach is imo.

Now excuse me while i go take a shower. I feel dirty defending Weber. 🤮
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm To argue against Illy’s main point: I think it’s hard for Kansas State being right next to Lawrence and Self. But, other than a superior coaching staff, what is the one big advantage that Texas Tech has in a basketball program over Kansas State? I don’t think there are any.
Texas produces more decent basketball players than western kansas?
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm To argue against Illy’s main point: I think it’s hard for Kansas State being right next to Lawrence and Self. But, other than a superior coaching staff, what is the one big advantage that Texas Tech has in a basketball program over Kansas State? I don’t think there are any.
A true statement.

But, pull out a map and you'll see that Manhattan, KS has much easier access to Division 1 basketball talent than Lubbock, TX does. Almost all D-1 prospects in Texas have to take a plane to go to a Tech game. Not to mention so many of the best athletes in Texas play football and not basketball.

Then you get into pecking order. Tech historically fights for leftovers that UT, Baylor, A&M and TCU leave. Kansas State's competition in KC and Wichita are Mizzou and Wichita State?

Recruiting is at best for Tech, a wash.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm The logic is the same. My god.

The logic is not and should not be the same. KState made the Elite 8 3 years ago. They won the conference 2 years ago. Places like KState are always going to have stretches of piss poor records. If they fire a coach every 3 or 4 years for not doing what Weber did 2-3 years ago then they're going to have 2 or 3 coaches per decade and be just as shitty as they are this year. 1 "good" year out of 4 is pretty good at a place like KState and Weber is batting way above .250 during his time imo. 2 conference titles, 6 tournament appearances, and an elite 8 in 9 years is historically good for that place. Always going to have down years in Mancrappy no matter who the coach is imo.

Now excuse me while i go take a shower. I feel dirty defending Weber. 🤮
You seem to be arguing different points. He's been there a decade. His seat is warm.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
A true statement.

But, pull out a map and you'll see that Manhattan, KS has much easier access to Division 1 basketball talent than Lubbock, TX does. Almost all D-1 prospects in Texas have to take a plane to go to a Tech game. Not to mention so many of the best athletes in Texas play football and not basketball.

Then you get into pecking order. Tech historically fights for leftovers that UT, Baylor, A&M and TCU leave. Kansas State's competition in KC and Wichita are Mizzou and Wichita State?

Recruiting is at best for Tech, a wash.
Warmer weather?

Prettier girls?