COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by HouseDivided »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm
Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:32 pm So while you are technically correct in regards to them not OD'ing from the pharmaceutical drug, they did get nailed by the active ingredient in said drug.
You forgot to mention that they probably did this just to make trump look bad.

The same reason the FDA does slow studies.

Why does everyone hate trump so? Is it because he is God's Chosen One?

Treating him as badly as the heathens treated the Jeebus, except worser, because they crucify trump daily, over and over, like a scene from Groundhog Day.
Don't be an ass, dude.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:57 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm does psych know what an anecdote, or anecdotal evidence is?
Psych does, thank you.
Psych is also aware that this is a highly-fluid situation wherein anecdotal solutions can become widespread solutions relatively quickly.
Psych is neither characterizing the drugs in question as a panacea nor is he suggesting that scientific protocols be circumvented.
Psych is hoping that there will be a sense of urgency in conducting larger human trials among people who, in reality, have nothing to lose.
Psych also hopes that people will take responsibility for themselves before assuming that, since Clorox contains bleach, they should drink drain cleaner or toilet cleaner or eat wet wipes to sanitize their innards, and then blaming the CDC for suggesting that they frequently sanitize surfaces to protect themselves from infection.
Psych thanks you for your time and consideration and wishes you a healthy afternoon.
I think Psych is broken.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

has been as long as i’ve “known” him
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:50 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am It's perfectly fair to be critical of Trump for overstating the use of chloroquinone as a treatment for the virus. Hell, Fauci tempered his statements at that very press conference. No doubt Trump is foolish for almost describing it as a cure.

But...it's silly to blame him for these people poisoning themselves. He wasn't advocating for people to self-medicate or using it as a preventative. He, to my knowledge, didn't tell anyone to consume aquarium cleaner that contained it.

If they had started trials using chloroquinone and not mentioned it in a press conference he'd be getting grilled for not being transparent enough.
"The experts in the field are testing an array of options to see if any are viable".

Done. Then no one feels the need to drink aquarium cleaner and no one can bitch about him not being transparent.
"What are those options?"

Have you watched these press conferences? As big of a dick as Trump is to the media, they're just as shitty and disrespectful back. They don't let him off easy.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am It's perfectly fair to be critical of Trump for overstating the use of chloroquinone as a treatment for the virus. Hell, Fauci tempered his statements at that very press conference. No doubt Trump is foolish for almost describing it as a cure.

But...it's silly to blame him for these people poisoning themselves. He wasn't advocating for people to self-medicate or using it as a preventative. He, to my knowledge, didn't tell anyone to consume aquarium cleaner that contained it.

If they had started trials using chloroquinone and not mentioned it in a press conference he'd be getting grilled for not being transparent enough.
"The experts in the field are testing an array of options to see if any are viable".

Done. Then no one feels the need to drink aquarium cleaner and no one can bitch about him not being transparent.

Have you watched these press conferences? As big of a dick as Trump is to the media, they're just as shitty and disrespectful back. They don't let him off easy.
Yes, I have watched them. If you read a written transcript of them then you'd swear that Trump does not speak English as his first language. He is stringing together words that together do not make actual coherent sentences so I can only imagine how difficult it would be to be a reporter in that room tasked with providing a synopsis of what Trump says because Trump doesn't even seem to know what he's saying as he says it.

And what are the options? I do not care what it is they think is a potentially viable solution so long as they do proper testing of it to determine if it is a viable solution. Knowing the name of what they are getting ready to test makes zero impact on my life or my comfort level. If they say they are working on it then I trust that they are.

Providing too many details has already led to multiple unnecessary deaths. It should have never been done. Period.
Last edited by twocoach on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm DC wagging his finger at people wagging their fingers
I just get a kick outta coachemup.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 am
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 amIf they had started trials using chloroquinone and not mentioned it in a press conference he'd be getting grilled for not being transparent enough.
"We implore everyone to continue to do their part, and practice social distancing when possible. If you don't have to leave the house, don't. Everyone doing their part will keep you and your loved ones out of the hospitals, and will allow our esteemed health care professionals to treat those who have already been infected.

If you must go out to work, such as those determined essential workers helping keep us fed, and keeping the world moving as much as possible, we thank you. Please remember to wash your hands, keep a safe distance whenever possible, and don't touch your face.

There have been rumors that certain drugs may help alleviate or lessen the symptoms of the COVID-19 virus. Please, do not self-medicate, or take any prescription or chemical without first consulting your doctors, as these are currently only rumors and have not been tested by the FDA. We are going to trials this week to evaluate these claims."

He didn't need to call out the substance by name, and could've easily been vague about everything, and temper expectations. People keep talking about how his supporters shouldn't be so dumb. I'm saying, he is president because his supporters are that dumb.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-b ... ont-525281
I mean, we can sit here in hindsight and say that.

Like I said, he definitely oversold the the efficacy of the drug, and criticism of him for that is fine. Fauci even tried to correct him. But he did make it pretty clear that these were trials being conducted in hospitals.

If anyone takes any prescription drugs on their own or tries to manufacture their own medicines, though, sorry, but that's on them.

Lots of people mention that tylenol is a pain reliever, but they're not to blame if someone overdoses on tylenol.

If someone talks about how methanol is a good disinfectant and someone tries to drink it to get rid of a virus or bacteria, the person who drank methanol not knowing it's toxic is to blame, not the person who said it can kill microbes.

I watched the press conference, at no point did anything he said suggest gathering up household chemicals and self-medicating.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:27 pm does psych know what an anecdote, or anecdotal evidence is?
That's not the right question: does psych know enough not to drink fish tank cleaner?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:29 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, I have watched them. If you read a written transcript of them then you'd swear that Trump does not speak English as his first language. He is stringing together words that together do not make actual coherent sentences so I can only imagine how difficult it would be to be a reporter in that room tasked with providing a synopsis of what Trump says because Trump doesn't even seem to know what he's saying as he says it.
yes, he's an embarrasment. Until this pandemic, I'd stopped watching anything in which he spoke, because I can't stand to listen to him.

But, he didn't tell people to try and to chemistry in their bathroom and experiment with chemicals. He for sure didn't say uninfected, healthy people should be drinking cleaning products.

I mean, let's stick to being critical of him for things he ACTUALLY does. There is plenty of it after all.

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Who drank fish tank cleaner?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:37 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:21 am

So, it is the President’s fault that two grown adults were dumb enough to ingest koi pond cleaner from a container that no doubt clearly said that it was NOT for human consumption? DJT has not done a great job with the pandemic, but some of the things people are trying to pin on him seriously stretch the limits of credulity.
Honestly, yes, it is. The country is full of scared, worried, uninformed people and when you give them ignorant I formation and treat it as if it is valid information, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat it is valid information. This is why our President needs to STFU because he has no actual valid information that would help people.

Again, you are purposely (I assume) missing the point because you want another reason to blame DJT. There is plenty of promising data out there showing that chloroquine and hydrocholoroquine/zithromycin treatment significantly cuts the duration and severity of the illness. If someone extrapolates from that statement that they need to drink koi pond cleaner, then that is their own fault. It is sad, but it is not DJT's responsibility, no matter how much you would like it to be so.
Great. Do the work, run the tests and if it turns out to be a viable option then roll with it as soon as you determine it is safe to do so.

But doing so too quickly has resulted in people dying.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:36 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 am

Honestly, yes, it is. The country is full of scared, worried, uninformed people and when you give them ignorant I formation and treat it as if it is valid information, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat it is valid information. This is why our President needs to STFU because he has no actual valid information that would help people.

Again, you are purposely (I assume) missing the point because you want another reason to blame DJT. There is plenty of promising data out there showing that chloroquine and hydrocholoroquine/zithromycin treatment significantly cuts the duration and severity of the illness. If someone extrapolates from that statement that they need to drink koi pond cleaner, then that is their own fault. It is sad, but it is not DJT's responsibility, no matter how much you would like it to be so.
Great. Do the work, run the tests and if it turns out to be a viable option then roll with it as soon as you determine it is safe to do so.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:56 am My favorite part of these arguments is the belief -- most prominent in twocoach, but widely present -- that they're the smarties, and the everyone else is a dumdum.

Twocoach doesn't live in Omaha. He lives in Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

But the rest of us can't be trusted with fish tank cleaner. cUz TRumP!
It's actually the polar opposite. I have the belief that the people who run the tests on whether or not a specific drug or treatment is a viable option are the smarties and that everyone who is not them is the dummies when it comes to whether or not a specific drug or treatment is a viable option.

Trump should let the smart people with direct knowledge about specifics speak as to those specifics.
colbond

Post by colbond »

Ok take it to politics. Try to keep this thread to the original topic.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:56 am My favorite part of these arguments is the belief -- most prominent in twocoach, but widely present -- that they're the smarties, and the everyone else is a dumdum.

Twocoach doesn't live in Omaha. He lives in Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

But the rest of us can't be trusted with fish tank cleaner. cUz TRumP!
It's actually the polar opposite. I have the belief that the people who run the tests on whether or not a specific drug or treatment is a viable option are the smarties and that everyone who is not them is the dummies when it comes to whether or not a specific drug or treatment is a viable option.

Trump should let the smart people with direct knowledge about specifics speak as to those specifics.
You don't believe a word of that.

You just mad.

cuZ trumP!

Weird that this discussion hasn't taken to bashing Andrew Cuomo.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Yes, we are in agreement that there are people in this country who seem to need to be told such things, which is specifically why Trump should not be blabbering about unproven theories.

Thank you for proving my point.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Geezer wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:34 pm Who drank fish tank cleaner?
chloroquine sold commercially is not for human consumption. It was not packaged or labeled as medicine, it was not prescribed by a doctor, etc.

I have all kinds of antibiotics that I use for research, I never take any of it when I have a bacterial infection, I go to a doctor and get pharmaceutical grade antibiotics.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:42 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Yes, we are in agreement that there are people in this country who seem to need to be told such things, which is specifically why Trump should not be blabbering about unproven theories.

Thank you for proving my point.
What did he say?
colbond

Post by colbond »

colbond wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:42 pm Ok take it to politics. Try to keep this thread to the original topic.
Locked the thread so people actually see/read this. Start up a politics thread if you want. I'll consider unlocking this one in an hour or so.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Thanks for unlocking.

I know it's NY-centric, but public transport crazy low

"a drop of 87% on the subways; more than 70% on MTA buses; 94% on Metro-North; and 71% on the LIRR."

https://abc7ny.com/6047040/

Buses are free right now in NY, hence "only" 70% drop. I haven't rode public transport in over two week, but the two weeks leading up to my WFH stint, it was half full.