Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Now that Silvio is fully removed from the roster what is the rotation..? Self mentioned he won't extend it much past 8 guys if he had his preference, although this team is deep and they may go 9-10.

PG - Garrett
SG - Thompson
SF - Braun
PF - Och
C - McCormack

Bench - Lightfoot, Enaruna, Grant-Foster and Wilson..?

He may not factor in this year, but the staff seems to really love Latrell Jossell a lot.

Speaking of Wilson, the long hair is gone, so he's all business this year, right? That's what that I think it means... lol
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's a pretty small lineup but that might be the best one we have.
Depends on how ready to play Thompson is - otherwise I think you'll have the lengthy Enaruna at the 4th spot.
Oubre was about the same ranking as Thompson and he didn't end up starting til later in the season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 am Now that Silvio is fully removed from the roster what is the rotation..? Self mentioned he won't extend it much past 8 guys if he had his preference, although this team is deep and they may go 9-10.

PG - Garrett
SG - Thompson
SF - Braun
PF - Och
C - McCormack

I'm not as bullish on this team as I was last year's team after it all got put together, but, I still think this is deepest group we have had in quite some time. Maybe like since 2011. Power Conference talent up and down the board, although losing Silvio sucks.

Only hesitation on the team's peak is if Garrett, Och and McCormack make those steps to first team all league type.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

It always seems like we are deeper than we actually end up being (partially because self sticks to his main guys).
Deleted User 310

Got this funny feeling lightfoot might start. Especially the first month of the season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am It always seems like we are deeper than we actually end up being (partially because self sticks to his main guys).
No, not close to always. Before Silvio left, we had all 13 scholarships filled. That rarely happens.

With just a couple exceptions, all were Top 100 recruits. Deep as we've ever been.
Deleted User 310

The depth sort of becomes irrelevant if only 8 guys play....but yes we have a log jam of guys after our top 3 or 4 that are all similar in quality it would appear.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This all becomes irrelevant if the world ends tomorrow.
Deleted User 310

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:09 am This all becomes irrelevant if the world ends tomorrow.
Very true!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

To take the bait on your predictable unnecessary tangent, I will say that if there was ever a season when depth might actually matter, it would be the one during a pandemic that can sideline any number of players for 2 weeks.
Deleted User 310

It wasn't an unnecessary tangent. But ok. (We do the "depth" talk almost every year...and then Mitch or Jamari or Brady or Tyrel start and/or play over that "depth" and people lose their minds LOL)

And yes...pandemic depth is important...but by all accounts if 1 or 2 of our guys get it that means enough have been exposed (and likely infected) that games are getting cancelled.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pass out of the obvious half court trap, CnB, don't need to dribble through it.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

and actually, depth absolutely matters outside of the guys that actually get playing time

having a stacked squad means practices should be better and more competitive. a loaded second five only pushes and makes the first five better
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:25 am and actually, depth absolutely matters outside of the guys that actually get playing time

having a stacked squad means practices should be better and more competitive. a loaded second five only pushes and makes the first five better
Very true. Especially early in the season and in preseason.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 am Pass out of the obvious half court trap, CnB, don't need to dribble through it.
I just wanted to talk about Jamari. 😉
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In 2019 we lost our starting big and our best guard.
We had to pull a redshirt off a freshman and play Charlie Moore.
Instead, say Malik Newman stayed, we are deeper, and Grimes becomes depth and Charlie Moore becomes better friends with Garrett Luinstra.
Deleted User 310

Injuries are obviously always a wild card.

And fuck i had forgotten how bad Charlie Moore was.

Newman should have stayed. He would have been ridiculously good for us with another year of experience and all the shots he could take.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:30 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 am Now that Silvio is fully removed from the roster what is the rotation..? Self mentioned he won't extend it much past 8 guys if he had his preference, although this team is deep and they may go 9-10.

PG - Garrett
SG - Thompson
SF - Braun
PF - Och
C - McCormack

I'm not as bullish on this team as I was last year's team after it all got put together, but, I still think this is deepest group we have had in quite some time. Maybe like since 2011. Power Conference talent up and down the board, although losing Silvio sucks.

Only hesitation on the team's peak is if Garrett, Och and McCormack make those steps to first team all league type.
It should be a nightmare squad, defensively. Size and length everywhere. Garrett should be fine against lead small guards.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:35 am

PG - Garrett
SG - Thompson
SF - Braun
PF - Och
C - McCormack

It should be a nightmare squad, defensively. Size and length everywhere. Garrett should be fine against lead small guards.
Self's best defensive teams are teams that switch everything. He's going to love the small ball switching 1-4, even switch 1-5 if Lightfoot on the floor.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:35 am

PG - Garrett
SG - Thompson
SF - Braun
PF - Och
C - McCormack

No more getting lit up by a team with 4-5 3 point shooters on the floor. Sick of seeing that.