Crimscores 2022

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Crimscores 2022

Post by PhDhawk »

Even with TS% and eFG% which should level the playing field across positions, much maligned Mitch is #1 on the team.

Fran is right about him, that his jump hook is almost automatic.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:11 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:08 pm
And Mitch is shooting 67% on the season, which is approaching Dok territory.
I've thought this all year. People shit on Mitch and how you can't run the offense through him, but there's A LOT worse shots than his little jump hook.
Mitch has played better than probably even Mitch could imagine this season. He's a black hole, though, to where you can't really let him touch it early. Definitely a guy that should be shooting over 55-60%.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CnB hates bigs.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm Even with TS% and eFG% which should level the playing field across positions, much maligned Mitch is #1 on the team.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. If we needed 3-5 3PA from Mitch each game, those numbers would plummet.

I'm absolutely not trying to hate on Dave or Mitch, it's just that they're supposed to shoot 50% plus. Shooters, by their nature, are going to be way more streaky and a lower percentage.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

not since SC, has there been a basketball JAYHAWK more set up for "Mayor of Lawrence" status as Mitch Lightfoot.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm
I've thought this all year. People shit on Mitch and how you can't run the offense through him, but there's A LOT worse shots than his little jump hook.
Mitch has played better than probably even Mitch could imagine this season. He's a black hole, though, to where you can't really let him touch it early. Definitely a guy that should be shooting over 55-60%.
Absolutely. I'm definitely not campaigning to get Mitch more shots, but I'd be lying if I said I felt more comfortable with Jalen or CB, even Och, taking a semi contested 3 late in the clock over Mitch on the block.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We gave a lot of credit (most of it deserved) for Wilson taking his man off the dribble to generate offense against Providence. but Wilson was 5 of 16 (and 4 of 13 on twos) to go with 5 of 5 from the line.

I'll let the guy shooting it 67% touch it any time he's in position.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Absolutely. I'm definitely not campaigning to get Mitch more shots, but I'd be lying if I said I felt more comfortable with Jalen or CB, even Och, taking a semi contested 3 late in the clock over Mitch on the block.
He's been money from that spot, no question. And that situation is a big reason why his usage% is high. It's also true that he's getting the ball there in a favorable spot from teams stepping out on our guards (save for Dajuan). Mitch's pre-catch footwork is also the best of all the bigs. He reminds me of a smaller Landen Lucas.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:15 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm Even with TS% and eFG% which should level the playing field across positions, much maligned Mitch is #1 on the team.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. If we needed 3-5 3PA from Mitch each game, those numbers would plummet.

I'm absolutely not trying to hate on Dave or Mitch, it's just that they're supposed to shoot 50% plus. Shooters, by their nature, are going to be way more streaky and a lower percentage.
It makes perfect sense. That's what those stats were for. That's the purpose, to show that a guy shooting 33% from 3 is just as good as a guy shooting 50% from 2.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:18 pm

He's been money from that spot, no question. And that situation is a big reason why his usage% is high. It's also true that he's getting the ball there in a favorable spot from teams stepping out on our guards (save for Dajuan). Mitch's pre-catch footwork is also the best of all the bigs. He reminds me of a smaller Landen Lucas.
This sounds an awful like the "All Dok does is dunk" arguments.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"If I was Dok's size I could do that. Anyone could."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:18 pm

It makes perfect sense. That's what those stats were for. That's the purpose, to show that a guy shooting 33% from 3 is just as good as a guy shooting 50% from 2.
But Mitch doesn't shoot 3's and the guards should rarely shoot 2's. The numbers are going to be different. I don't think you can use it to support your statement that Mitch and Dave are the only guys that consistently shoot a high FG%. Bigs are always going to dominate those leaderboards.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/player ... percentage
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mitch has the lowest usage rate of any rotation guy besides DH.

NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

It's one thing to say a guy should be shooting a certain percentage, it's another to give him the credit he deserves for doing it because if it were that common we wouldn't be talking about it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:19 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:18 pm

This sounds an awful like the "All Dok does is dunk" arguments.
Also doesn't make any sense. Our offense looks outrageously different if Mitch is getting early shot clock touches.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:23 pm

But Mitch doesn't shoot 3's and the guards should rarely shoot 2's. The numbers are going to be different. I don't think you can use it to support your statement that Mitch and Dave are the only guys that consistently shoot a high FG%. Bigs are always going to dominate those leaderboards.

I think that just shows the importance of having good bigs.

They're the most efficient way to put points on the board. We're rewarding perimeter players with a 3 point shot, but even then being able to throw it to a guy on the block is the best way to score the most points per possession.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:23 pm Mitch has the lowest usage rate of any rotation guy besides DH.
Interesting. Midseason he was way towards the top. Mostly thinking he has cut down on turnovers, and does seem to shoot less against conference teams.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"even then being able to throw it to a guy on the block is the best way to score the most points per possession."

Not to mention the way that affects the defense and foul count.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:25 pm

They're the most efficient way to put points on the board. We're rewarding perimeter players with a 3 point shot, but even then being able to throw it to a guy on the block is the best way to score the most points per possession.
Agree it's important to have good bigs, but the points per possession thing is going to be more true on an individual possession basis. Over the course of a game and a season, you really need to spread the court, make 3's, and get out in transition for easy buckets. Not even with Udoka or Aldrich are you now able to just throw the ball on the block every possession and have them come out with 35-40 points.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:30 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Agree it's important to have good bigs, but the points per possession thing is going to be more true on an individual possession basis. Over the course of a game and a season, you really need to spread the court, make 3's, and get out in transition for easy buckets. Not even with Udoka or Aldrich are you now able to just throw the ball on the block every possession and have them come out with 35-40 points.
Yes, you can't be one dimensional.

And transition is probably THE most efficient way to score. But again...you can't always do that. I think that's why Self called 3 point shooting fools gold, because you can't rely on it every night. I don't think post play is any different, in that regard.