OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: OFFICIAL FINAL FOUR THREAD

Post by KUTradition »

wut?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:40 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:53 am social medias whackjobs gotta be social medias whackjobs.

social medias whackjobs gotta be social medias whackjobs.
Am I wrong to be reading this to the melody of mirror mirror on the wall?
You must be new here. A hallmark of MICH's folks is to accuse others of that which is present in themselves.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:56 am This group needed to be fully healthy, and catch breaks, for this to happen. Great for us that all of those did.
Everyone needs that.
Just this season, Villanova made the Final Four without being fully healthy. In 2008, we won it all without Rodrick Stewart whose minutes were basically identical to 2022 Mitch's. That's just off the top of my head.

I don't believe our team this season has that kind of margin for error.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kansas being a deep team helped. To win the next two games, it is likely that someone like Scooter Barry will contribute in ways unexpected. Mitch, DMac and DH have played great basketball over the tournament, but so has Remy and others. You can't get there with five guys. Villanova is about to show us depth we didn't think they had, but some inert dude is going to hit threes if left standing unguarded on his favorite spot on the floor. I feel like Buford at Gettysburg. It is like you can already see it happening.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:48 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:56 am This group needed to be fully healthy, and catch breaks, for this to happen. Great for us that all of those did.
Everyone needs that.
Just this season, Villanova made the Final Four without being fully healthy. In 2008, we won it all without Rodrick Stewart whose minutes were basically identical to 2022 Mitch's. That's just off the top of my head.

Neither of those injuries had any effect on those teams making the Final Four, though, since both came after the fact. Villanova's could make a small case for, but the odds of them losing that game in the last 35 seconds was extremely low.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Everyone needs that.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/la ... exception/

this doesn’t quite get to the whole point, and really just focuses on late injuries rather nagging injuries during the season, but seems relevant

2013 Louisville won the title w/o Ware
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:12 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:06 amThey questioned whether we could make final fours or win national championships with those guys.
That's just not true.
It absolutely is.
Maybe if i'm light i'll dig up some comments Illy might be referencing.

Not going to bump the thread for this but here are some related comments:

"DMAC could very easily cost us a Big 12 title or even worse a Final Four. He's regressed each of the last two years, despite what a few of his apologists say." - plfynn

"I can't wait for next March or April when we're getting absolutely torched by a stretch 5 in the closing minutes. I'll just assume Illy, pdub, and Crimson will be posting "but interior defense..." and I'll have a brain injury....We play Harris and Dave a bunch of minutes and they both really, really suck. Remy, my personal favorite, is like a fourth of the player I expected. His limitations, Yes' limitations, and the fact that we're trotting out a 28 year old big makes us overly dependent on Dave and Harris. That simply isn't good enough. Maybe we get hot at the right time. We'll have to because we can't stop anyone. It won't surprise me if we get blown out in the second round again." -hasbeen ( regarding playing Jalen at the 5 over Lightfoot )

"The problem is that we need him to not only start but to be really good as we are hoping to be one of the schools that finishes in the top 1% of the teams in the ncaa. A team with Final Four aspirations can't have two starters who wouldn't start for most of the other teams that are serious contenders." -twocoach ( referring to DMac as a player who wouldn't start for most top schools in the NCAA )

"Nah. We will lose to a talented team like Baylor in the S16 or E8 when we make zero adjustments to defend a small lineup that renders Dave useless." -sdoyel

"Doesn't change much for me either. Im hoping we sneak into the sweet 16 and finish near the top of the big 12. But we just aren't that athletic and don't really have any good defensive players...He doesn’t play his freshmen enough in the regular season and then they get playing time in Conference play due to Mitch or DM getting injured and they look like crap, and we lose in the S16. Rinse, repeat and hope for next year." - randy

"Sweet 16 team at the best. Just no chemistry and little heart." - shindig

"Dave is trash. I don’t care that he squeezes in good games from here to there. His floor is Tyshawn’s girlfriend in AFH and he just has too many floor games. We just have to be playing small (Wilson and/or KJ at “5”)...Ok but hear me out: Self is not perfect. It’s ok to admit when you’re wrong. He’s wrong about Dave." - fish

"This personnel is different, and I do think if we want a chance at hitting the Final Four ceiling, which I think it still is, Bill's going to have to adapt to the personnel more than he's ever been comfortable with and more than he already has...I definitely feel that Bill Self's preference now is to play Dajuan a ton and have Dave and Mitch play their usual rotation. That's just not interesting to me and a recipe for a boring NCAA exit....After seeing other coaches take both Withey and Azubuike completely out of games, it's a little obvious that Bill just hasn't grasped the style." - CnB

Just had to quote this one for kicks.
"This effort gives me zero confidence in this team winning the league. Baylor may win it by 4 games." - sdoyel
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Everyone needs that.

I think our run to the Final Four is proof positive that we did not in fact have that kind of margin for error; without something like 90% of the Remy we thought we were getting (instead of 0% or 20-60%, which we got for most of the season), we could never have withstood an underwhelming (to date) showing from Och.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am

Everyone needs that.

I think our run to the Final Four is proof positive that we did not in fact have that kind of margin for error; without something like 90% of the Remy we thought we were getting (instead of 0% or 20-60%, which we got for most of the season), we could never have withstood an underwhelming (to date) showing from Och.
Pretty clearly the case too
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am

Everyone needs that.

Yep. And like I said to Ousdahl, the Och legacy would have likely taken a huge hit were it not for Remy's performance(s).
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:53 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:06 amThey questioned whether we could make final fours or win national championships with those guys.
That's just not true.
It absolutely is.
Don't forget to dig up your comments on Remy!
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hey--Danny Manning's legacy would have been severely dampened if not for shots falling by others in that 50-50 first half.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:57 am

That's just not true.
It absolutely is.
It's the playbook around here.

Say something, move the goalposts, dig up old posts that don't say anything close to what they say it does.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's just not true.
It absolutely is.
You are one of the main culprits.
You had a good one about how you couldn't wait til DMac and Bill Self lost in the second round because of his offense. Something along those lines.
Don't have time now but it's out there.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:00 pm

It absolutely is.
It's the playbook around here.

Say something, move the goalposts, dig up old posts that don't say anything close to what they say it does.
Well, what else is a fella supposed to do when he spends 16 hours a day on here? He banned me for 12 hours the other day for literally nothing. I can't wait for him to stop being such a giant bitch and just permanently ban me. I won't miss the 12 active users, I swear!

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Isn't this like Mitch's 3rd Final Four?

I will miss you hasbeen.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Here's some good ones!
"Self clearly sees how important Remy is and how replaceable Dave is"
"I hope this is resolved soon because I am tired of these butt recruiting classes which lead us to depend on Dave McCormack"
"Our best post player is Dave who is terrible."
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:01 pm

It absolutely is.
You are one of the main culprits.
You had a good one about how you couldn't wait til DMac and Bill Self lost in the second round because of his offense. Something along those lines.
Don't have time now but it's out there.
You should try to do some data analysis again soon, but only include the good Dave games to make your case as you've done before. I've never seen anything as thorough as crimscores, either. Wow. Thought-provoking, useful, not at all the meaningless numbers from the keyboard of a guy who lives on the message board someone else paid for.

- lobser
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Sparko wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:57 am Hey--Danny Manning's legacy would have been severely dampened if not for shots falling by others in that 50-50 first half.
How soon people forget (or never knew) Piper shot 4-6, Newton shot 6-6, Pritchard shot 6-7, and Normore shot 3-3 for the game. Team shot 63.6% FG.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:05 pm Here's some good ones!
"Self clearly sees how important Remy is and how replaceable Dave is"
"I hope this is resolved soon because I am tired of these butt recruiting classes which lead us to depend on Dave McCormack"
"Our best post player is Dave who is terrible."
Hmm. Bill has seen how important he is, hence all of his comments about Remy lately.
We are less dependent on Dave now because Remy is elite.
Our best post player is Dave who is terrible. He can't make layups.

You really brought the receipts, dipshit!

- lobser