NBA draft

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: NBA draft

Post by AlOerter »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:33 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:51 am
AlOerter wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am Furphy measured 6'7.5" without shoes at combine. Not going to help his stock.
Don't think it'll hurt either. He projects as a SG/SF. That's NBA size for those positions.
He's what he was expected to be without shoes.
I'll leave it up to others to decide if that hurts him, helps him, or doesn't matter.

You know what does matter? As of last night his plan is/was to stay in the draft.
That's his plan unless/until something dramatic would derail that plan.
I don't think it will necessarily hurt him just being shorter than advertised isn't generally considered a plus. 6'9" wing with his skills has a little more panache than 6'7 1/2". He did hit 12 3's in a row in shooting practice which doesn't hurt. How he performs against NBAish players will be the thing. No denying his upside.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

AlOerter wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:51 am

Don't think it'll hurt either. He projects as a SG/SF. That's NBA size for those positions.
I'll leave it up to others to decide if that hurts him, helps him, or doesn't matter.

You know what does matter? As of last night his plan is/was to stay in the draft.
I don't think it will necessarily hurt him just being shorter than advertised isn't generally considered a plus. 6'9" wing with his skills has a little more panache than 6'7 1/2". He did hit 12 3's in a row in shooting practice which doesn't hurt. How he performs against NBAish players will be the thing. No denying his upside.
This may make me come off as being a bigger dick than I am. I swear, it's not my intention.
I'm just trying to clarify a few things.

He's 6'9" in shoes. Just as advertised. Very few guys measure what they are advertised as being when they take their shoes off.
McCullar at KU = 6'.7"
McCullar without shoes this week = 6'.5".25

Wasn't "shooting practice". It was a "drill". He happened to miss a few consecutive shots a couple of times, which sort of takes something away from the 12 in a row he made. My uneducated guess is that very few people that were there that truly matter put a whole lot of credence in to how many he made or missed shooting unguarded. I think they care more about his shooting form and how he shoots during games.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status ... 1523054799

Side note - I work with a guy who went 20 out of 25 (better than Furphy went) shooting 3s in front of me. He barley made it off the bench when he played at a DIII school.

Yes, how he performs against NBAish type of guys is the thing. He did that playing at KU. That's why he is where he is today.
I'm not sure if he is scrimmaging at the Combine. I don't believe he did yesterday but I could be wrong.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:51 pm

This may make me come off as being a bigger dick than I am. I swear, it's not my intention.

He's 6'9" in shoes. Just as advertised. Very few guys measure what they are advertised as being when they take their shoes off.
McCullar at KU = 6'.7"

Wasn't "shooting practice". It was a "drill". He happened to miss a few consecutive shots a couple of times, which sort of takes something away from the 12 in a row he made. My uneducated guess is that very few people that were there that truly matter put a whole lot of credence in to how many he made or missed shooting unguarded. I think they care more about his shooting form and how he shoots during games.

Side note - I work with a guy who went 20 out of 25 (better than Furphy went) shooting 3s in front of me. He barley made it off the bench when he played at a DIII school.

Yes, how he performs against NBAish type of guys is the thing. He did that playing at KU. That's why he is where he is today.
I'm not sure if he is scrimmaging at the Combine. I don't believe he did yesterday but I could be wrong.
Not pretending to know more about the NBA than you. Just giving my opinion. "Shooting practice" was what I read in another article. I didn't fact check them.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

AlOerter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:35 pm

McCullar at KU = 6'.7"

Not pretending to know more about the NBA than you. Just giving my opinion. "Shooting practice" was what I read in another article. I didn't fact check them.
You very well may know more about the NBA than I do and I swear I appreciate you and others sharing your opinions.
I don't like when randy presents something as being factual that's not, but that is a different story.
Again, I sincerely apologize if I came off as being an asshole.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Furphy right now other than as of yesterday the plan was for him to stay in the draft.
What is semi concerning to me in regards to Furphy is that I have heard/seen/read other guys are performing better than early expectations/indications may have been and that probably helps raise their stock somewhat - which might/could (would?) lower Furphy's.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

By measuring, 6'7.5" without shoes, furphy probably helped his stock, definitely didn't hurt. It confirms he's a legit 6'9 wing. That's perfect nba size for a player like him
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:47 pm
AlOerter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:35 pm

McCullar at KU = 6'.7"

You very well may know more about the NBA than I do and I swear I appreciate you and others sharing your opinions.
I don't like when randy presents something as being factual that's not, but that is a different story.
Again, I sincerely apologize if I came off as being an asshole.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Furphy right now other than as of yesterday the plan was for him to stay in the draft.
What is semi concerning to me in regards to Furphy is that I have heard/seen/read other guys are performing better than early expectations/indications may have been and that probably helps raise their stock somewhat - which might/could (would?) lower Furphy's.
No sweat. I appreciate what you bring to this board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love when we get cordial on here.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:40 pm I love when we get cordial on here.
We all knew Remy wasn’t making the league.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Thankfully no one whined about Remy not making league.
At least he won a ring (or at least a "cup") in 2024. Unfortunately for him, he did it playing basketball in Iceland. Not that Iceland is a bad place, but I have to assume he would have rather won a NBA Championship in some shithole (or nice) American city.

Question of the day.
Furphy returns to KU, gets better, stronger, etc., how many spots does he move up in the 2025 draft compared to where he would get drafted this year?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At least 5.
My guess would be 10 from 26th to 16th or something of the sort.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 pm At least 5.
I don't know enough about the incoming class. From what I have been told, this is a weak draft compared to what is expected in/of next year's draft. I'm not buying that.

I used to have the attitude of it's better to be on an NBA team getting paid to improve your game than returning to college and not getting paid to improve your NBA game - but now I'm not so sure.
Especially when a kid (young adult) who has legitimate NBA potential is getting paid something substantial to play college basketball.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 pm At least 5.
Agree

Almost feels like he's got a team mid-late 1st telling him he's their guy if he's still on the board.

I do think he'd be better off on a good team, because he's far from ready, so late 1st might not be the worst thing for him.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

In the past few days I have heard ZERO in regards to Furphy making a decision but I have a gut feeling he's coming back to KU. Which would mean he has changed his mind.
My gut feeling comes from a lot of guys having a good combine in which they improved their draft stock and I don't think Furphy did all that much to improve his. I did hear he had "good" (notice I didn't use the word great) pro day.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

4.8 points, 2.8 boards, and 2.1 assists.

And yet, spoken of as a first round pick.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:24 pm 4.8 points, 2.8 boards, and 2.1 assists.

Better than LeBron's college stats. ;)
Fwiw (nothing), Russell Westbrook's Freshman year he averaged 9 minutes a game, 3.4 points, 0.8 rebounds, and 0.7 assists.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 pm
Overlander wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:24 pm 4.8 points, 2.8 boards, and 2.1 assists.

Fwiw (nothing), Russell Westbrook's Freshman year he averaged 9 minutes a game, 3.4 points, 0.8 rebounds, and 0.7 assists.
SI mock draft has Furphy going 14 and McCullar going 16. Way higher than all the rest of the mocks have them.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Psychhawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:34 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 pm

SI mock draft has Furphy going 14 and McCullar going 16. Way higher than all the rest of the mocks have them.
I haven't seen "all the rest" of the mock drafts but Corny West may have a better chance of being elected President in 2024 than Furphy going 14 AND McCullar going 16.

I'm going to try and get a credible Furphy update today. My guess is I'm told nothing has changed and he's still planning on staying in the draft.
My worthless opinion is.... I have no idea what's best for him.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NBADraft.net: 26

NBA Draft Room: late lotto to mid-1st

NBA.com: 29

HoopsHype aggregate: 13

College Sports Wire: 33

The Ringer: 34

my relatively ignorant and minimally educated guess is he goes late 20s if he stays in
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and maybe, in the worst draft in recent history.....thats the choice he makes. I do think he could sniff lotto if he returns and has a good year and proves he's more than "potential"

There's a lot of "potential" playing street ball, euro ball, globetrotter ball, and checking groceries at Safeway
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Furphy.
Nothing has changed.
Waiting to get DEFINITIVE word from teams. If he is going to be a first rounder (1 through 30) - he stays in the draft.
If he's not going to be a first rounder (anywhere after 30) - he's going back to college (hopefully KU).
Of course that can change.