F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

Directed more to the creator of this thread and his partner(s) in crime.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:05 am Not sure what the problem is, kids are getting paid, like a lot of you want.
The poor 16, 17 year olds out there, playing for free, being exploited.
'sides, education is worthless, it's all about the benjamins.
Was this slam poetry or something?

Again: setting aside the moral/ethical side of things altogether, my interest is in awesome basketball players who are not ready for the NBA playing for and against the Kansas Jayhawks. Absolutely mind-boggling to me that anyone who cares to spend time here would not want that.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:42 am i do miss those concession stand nachos we used to get at HS ball games
HS concession stands also have great popcorn.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am Beat you to it - but you really romanced it up.
I just feel bad that they don't have options to not go to HS. I think it's racist. All those, often white, teachers making below average salaries of the backs of these predominantly black "student-athletes" who get nothing in return.

What! a geography lesson! gtfo...that's worthless. Let the kids ball and earn a little scratch. Money rules everything around me. HS diplomas are just another word for indentured servitude contract.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, I can't imagine why any parent or alum or anyone in the community would even attend these games unless they were getting the best players. The Smithville Trojans are nothing without all star talent. Since they can't pay these high school players, the best talent won't be on the court, and will make the basketball unwatchable. No one will cheer for Smithville anymore.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and who knows what Smithville will do once they loose that lucrative media deal.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right?
Smithville, despite it being around for 80 years, with a history of successful athletics, with multiple state championships, will just fold.
People will just stop caring.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So will their games still be on ESPN+ or do I otherwise have to go digging for some link to some site that only lobster would hang out at?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would say still broadcast like a regular high school game, like it was before, but now that all the talent is off the court, no one will watch anyways, not worth it, so probably a lobster site.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:00 pm So will their games still be on ESPN+ or do I otherwise have to go digging for some link to some site that only lobster would hang out at?
"Censorship Bro, it's what you fucking liberal pussies wanted." - Lobster

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... violations

Some wayyyyyy more egregious and damning evidence about arizona than anything that comes up with anyone else. Except maybe Louisville
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Oh, friends, I am so very here for the NCAA getting absolutely dunked on by peak-white-suburban-corporate-America:

https://twitter.com/DICKS/status/1373003157467463685

https://twitter.com/Academy/status/1373007354447458309
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

Take it to the Oral thread.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NCAA president Mark Emmert called the disparities between the weight room facilities at the men’s and women’s tournaments “inexcusable,’’ and said it was being taken care of immediately.
Well, if it's "inexcusable" then how is he handling the punishment of those responsible - but even more so, himself?
Those of you who are in the know more than I am, hasn't the NCAA been doing many "inexcusable" things under his guidance? If so, then what personal blame has HE really taken?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s only inexcusable cuz they got caught
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mark Emmert is a tool bag
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am Mark Emmert is a tool bag
This
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I figure there is a very good chance Emmert is done (resigns?/booted?) within the next month.
Dude is rightfully getting raked over the coals for many things these days.
Stay tuned.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lots of parallels to "amateurism" and The Rules here, and this guy's logic is sound.

https://cupofcoffee.substack.com/p/cup- ... ch-25-2021
More on MLB’s anti-ball-doctoring campaign

Yesterday we talked about how Major League Baseball plans to scan pitchers’ spin rates to look for anomalies which may suggest that foreign substances are being used to give pitches a little extra somethin’ somethin’. Later in the day some more details about that whole plan emerged:

If a pitcher's "normal" spin rate, measured in revolutions per minute, increases significantly, the league may investigate whether the player is doctoring balls. Baseballs taken out of play -- both randomly and prioritized, if they exhibit signs of foreign substances -- will be inspected by a third-party lab, according to the memo. Balls will be tracked back to whomever was pitching when they were taken out of play.

Finally, game-day compliance officers will monitor dugouts, batting cages and bullpens for violations of the foreign substance rules while filing daily reports of their observations with the league office.

This seems . . . like a lot.

I get why they’re doing it, but practically speaking it seems like one of two things will happen here, and neither of them are all that great:

Thing 1: MLB will approach this the same way it’s approached a number of new enforcement initiatives in the past, such as pace-of-play violations, and it’ll be pretty toothless and opaque, with warning letters being written and not much else happening. If that happens no one will take the initiative seriously and enforcement of foreign substances rules will be undermined even further than it has been to date, and that’s saying something;

Thing 2: The initiative WILL be taken seriously and a small army of ball-inspectors and spin-rate checkers dinging pitchers and clubs will create a situation in which people are routinely firing cheating accusations at one another through the media, allegations of selective enforcement are leveled, and the very premise of one of the analytics on which the league is using to sell itself to smart fans — spin rate — is called into question as a means of measuring anything significant. In the end the league, the union, and players get bogged down in a new discipline/grievance process that overwhelms the sport.

I say it has to be one of these things because I believe the people in and around the game who say the majority of pitchers are using foreign substances, be it pine tar, sunscreen and rosin, or whatever other cocktails of sticky goo have been developed for the cause. That state of affairs matters.

It matters because when you have isolated, or easily detectible rule breaking afoot, a crackdown can be effective. In contrast, when you have a massive flouting of a rule, the nature of the rule-breaking is, by definition, a matter of deception, and the matter of detection is subjective, enforcement is either going to be ineffective, catching no one, or massively disruptive, catching the very many cheaters who are out there. I don’t think Major League Baseball’s creaky and bottleneck-addled discipline apparatus is prepared for that. It’s not like there’s a lab to which they can outsource this.

A better idea, I think, is some sort of legalization regime. The creation of some sort of common safe harbor that still allows pitchers who have come to rely on certain means of gripping and ripping baseballs to do so, but which presents an even playing field for them to do so. Everyone is allowed to use X, but not Y, and if you use Y — which would be pretty clear if you were looking for anything that is not-X — you’re in big trouble. Doing that would require the league to be pretty upfront with what it knows about what pitchers are doing now, however, and I don’t think it wants to do that even if it knows. That’s because, it would then have to admit that it’s been turning a blind eye at ball-doctoring for so long, and Major League Baseball doesn’t admit to such things, even if it’s pretty transparent.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

who doesn’t like getting their balls doctored?