21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
hasbeen

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by hasbeen »

I read that'll "shock" people how fast KU plays. Jalen is absolutely getting run at the 5 this year.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea Jalen changes the whole dynamic.

But we seem to have already played a lotta small ball even without him, who is a big piece to that scheme.

And Mitch scored on a couple decent post plays. It’s crazy how much better even his footwork is than Dave’s
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 am Have to wait until Jalen plays. Staff is repeatedly telling the media how much they want to run when Jalen gets back
Why do the running comments make you think that means with Jalen at the 5? Not disagreeing, just didn't get the same impression when listening to the comments.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:03 am I read that'll "shock" people how fast KU plays. Jalen is absolutely getting run at the 5 this year.
Supposedly was winning all the sprints at boot camp and is the fastest guy with the ball baseline to baseline, even over the little guards.

We haven’t seen him yet so he must have shedded some bad weight.

Can’t wait. This team already looks nails.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 am Have to wait until Jalen plays. Staff is repeatedly telling the media how much they want to run when Jalen gets back
Why do the running comments make you think that means with Jalen at the 5? Not disagreeing, just didn't get the same impression when listening to the comments.
Guys like Hanni, Gurley, and Lawrence were saying it all night after talking with Self and Case about Jalen. They don’t pull that stuff out of thin air.

Plus, it just makes sense for a second unit. And we already saw plenty of Jalen at the 5 last season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Slightly more sober than in the game thread but

Remy
Och
Braun
Jalen
Dave

JCL
Whichever guard emerges by March
Mitch/Zach

With the Mitch/Zach role often only getting a few reps a night depending on matchups cuz we’re more likely to move Jalen to the 5 and let er rip
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dajuan will be in there. Although, probably not as much as he is right now. So, it really might be a bigger rotation than normal this year.

Yesefu still looks lost too many possessions and his short leash is getting him yanked. But, probably his best game and I bet he trends ahead of Pettiford, who will also be hard to keep off the floor.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 am Yesefu still looks lost too many possessions and his short leash is getting him yanked. But, probably his best game and I bet he trends ahead of Pettiford, who will also be hard to keep off the floor.
Remy looks lost quite a bit too. I will give him a pass last night since his back was hurting, but he has to be better, especially defensively if he's going to be someone we look at as one of our 2 or 3 best players.

Imo, the ship has sailed on him being "the" guy here. This is Ochai's team. Remy needs to find a way to fit in without needing to be so ball dominant.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dajuan brings the pg presence and the D.

Joe and Bobby both have the potential to be better scorers, perhaps.

And Jalen is an interesting example of how athleticism can come in different flavors

Dude’s quickest with the ball end to end, but can barely jump over his own shoelace
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Och is our best player but we are 3 games into this season. Teams will start scheming him out of stuff he's getting right now and that's when players like Remy become crucial. He is not a dribble the ball up and pass to to someone else type of player and Bill knew that when he recruited him. We need him and Dave to take a ton of shots every game. That's the best way to keep Och's efficiency up.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I get the sense that both Remy and Yesefu were told by their last teams to just take the ball and try to do something. It’s an adjustment. But comparisons end there. Remy looks way more comfortable, it’s not even close.

Remy’s still our one possession guy, but it’s nice knowing Och will go downhill. Remy set up a great last possession at the end of the 1st last night. We just didn’t have that guy who could break his defender down last year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 am Och is our best player but we are 3 games into this season. Teams will start scheming him out of stuff he's getting right now and that's when players like Remy become crucial. He is not a dribble the ball up and pass to to someone else type of player and Bill knew that when he recruited him. We need him and Dave to take a ton of shots every game. That's the best way to keep Och's efficiency up.
Yep. Remy’s presence will become very apparent during conference. Just like it became very apparent last January how much we needed a PG that could get to the paint.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess we didn’t have that sort of pg last year.

Part of it was gameplan, too.

Last year we slowed it down, walked every possession over the timeline, and largely tried to play through the post.

But that’s prob chicken/egg
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wasn't great all around. Lesson learned. New era where offense wins championships.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think there's a clear 9 man rotation

Remy
Och
Braun
Wilson
Dave

Yes
Dajuan
JCL
Zach/Mitch
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:15 am So, looking to his sophomore and junior season -- do we want him to work on quickness so he can play 4 or bulk up so he can be more effective inside?
He's a 5 in college. And he is a problem.
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:00 am I think there's a clear 9 man rotation

Remy
Och
Braun
Wilson
Dave

Yes
Dajuan
JCL
Zach/Mitch
You think Yesufu is clearly ahead of Pettiford? I don't. They seem to be neck and neck in the race for rotation minutes imo.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:00 am I think there's a clear 9 man rotation

Remy
Och
Braun
Wilson
Dave

Yes
Dajuan
JCL
Zach/Mitch
Not so sure about Yesufu. He gets lost a lot, especially playing D away from the ball. And so far he hasn't been efficient enough offensively. That ninth spot seems to be what's up for grabs between him and Pettiford. I would love to see Self continue playing both and just running teams off the floor with fresh, quick guards. Probably not going to happen though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I just assume Yesufu will break through and experience will win out. If he doesn't, it means that Pettiford is a stud.

Has Bobby hit a 3 yet? Neither of his or Yesufu's shots are pretty, but I still trust Yesufu's more.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am
Self flat out said it at the press conference after the game yesterday.