i wonder what Robert Mueller is thinking

Ugh.
Deleted User 75

Re: i wonder what Robert Mueller is thinking

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:59 pm
But if Clinton had been elected, there would be no end to your calls for more investigations. The hypocrisy is nauseating.
Yes the hypocrisy is nauseating.

All the times you or someone else says "stop bringing up Clinton".....and then here you are bringing up Clinton.

I see how this works.
Good lord. Its amazing the pure volume of dumb takes you generate in any one day.
You're the 1 who brought up Clinton while calling someone else hypocritical.

Don't be mad at me because I called you on it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm Nah, he's just muddying the waters. I do agree with him that it is important that the FBI behave with an acceptable level of standards. There's just a lot of people with half buckets of information on each side making assumptions about whether they did or not. Not to mention people on different sides defining "acceptable" differently.

The problem is that many of them work for the media sources that can't understand why no one trusts them. (Hi, Fenton!)
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

honest question, has any of the dossier been proven false?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

But if Clinton had been elected, there would be no end to your calls for more investigations. The hypocrisy is nauseating.
To the best of my knowledge, no one is arguing that there should be no investigation.

Rather, my point is twofold: first, the media is colluding with "government sources" to spread misleading information. There is no news in the Times' "blockbuster." Yet it's breathlessly reported, as if we're all supposed to shudder. No sources are named. No explanations given. Just somebody using reporters eager to be the next Carl Bernstein to advance his/her agenda

I get why the reporters do this, of course. It's easy. Who wouldn't want a story handed to them? But it's unfortunate, to say the least.

Second, even if Trump did something indictable/impeachable, there's no excuse for discovering that under false or flimsy pretenses. The FBI should be held to account, whether Trump goes to Leavenworth, back home to New York, or on to a second term.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:25 pm honest question, has any of the dossier been proven false?
That's not the appropriate question.

The appropriate question is has any of it been proven true.

And on that, I'll defer to the guy who broke the Lewinsky story and who played a huge role in breaking the dossier story as well, Michael Isikoff:

Michael Isikoff, the chief investigative correspondent for Yahoo News, said Saturday during an interview on conservative commentator John Ziegler's "Free Speech Broadcasting" podcast that "Steele was clearly onto something" in his probe into the campaign's Russian connection but evidence has not surfaced to support some of his specific assertions.

Steele was correct to suspect "that there was a major Kremlin effort to interfere in our elections, that they were trying to help Trump's campaign, and that there were multiple contacts between various Russian figures close to the government and various people in the Trump campaign," Isikoff said.

But he said when "you actually get into the details of the Steele dossier, the specific allegations, we have not seen the evidence to support them, and, in fact, there's good grounds to think that some of the more sensational allegations will never be proven and are likely false."

"It's a mixed record at best," he said. "Things could change. Mueller may yet produce evidence that changes this calculation but based on the public record at this point, I'd have to say that most of the specific allegations have not been borne out."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 347833002/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 pm
To the best of my knowledge, no one is arguing that there should be no investigation.

Rather, my point is twofold: first, the media is colluding with "government sources" to spread misleading information. There is no news in the Times' "blockbuster." Yet it's breathlessly reported, as if we're all supposed to shudder. No sources are named. No explanations given. Just somebody using reporters eager to be the next Carl Bernstein to advance his/her agenda

I get why the reporters do this, of course. It's easy. Who wouldn't want a story handed to them? But it's unfortunate, to say the least.

Second, even if Trump did something indictable/impeachable, there's no excuse for discovering that under false or flimsy pretenses. The FBI should be held to account, whether Trump goes to Leavenworth, back home to New York, or on to a second term.
I can't tell whether you actually make a good point, or whether this is the most elaborate attempt yet by a Trumpalo to scream FaKeNeWs!!!!!
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I don't think it's "fake" at all. I chose my words carefully. "Misleading" is the word I used specifically. I don't doubt that there's a great deal of truth in what the Times reported. But I also know that the Times
(and the Post) has a tendency to be spun by its sources.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh, so you changed your vocabulary from "fake" to "misleading."

like I said, quite elaborate!

especially for a guy who don't doubt there's a great deal of truth in the report!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm oh, so you changed your vocabulary from "fake" to "misleading."

like I said, quite elaborate!

especially for a guy who don't doubt there's a great deal of truth in the report!
I hate to have to do this to you, but: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/misleading

It's not even close to fake.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes the hypocrisy is nauseating.

All the times you or someone else says "stop bringing up Clinton".....and then here you are bringing up Clinton.

I see how this works.
Good lord. Its amazing the pure volume of dumb takes you generate in any one day.
You're the 1 who brought up Clinton while calling someone else hypocritical.

Don't be mad at me because I called you on it.
"You or someone else" basically allows you to call out an individual for the actions of pretty much anyone. I dont recall ever telling anyone to "stop bringing up Clinton".

One of your weakest zinger attempts. If you're gonna try to be DC then at least have his memory and zing people for the dumb shit they said, not the dumb shit they "or someone else" said.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:21 pm
By all means, let's spend more time on worthless partisan investigations. We don't need to spend time on legislation. It's more important to "get" Trump.
@DCHawk, this is the post I was responding to. If my sarcasm meter is tuned in properly, dolomite seems to be saying that these investigations should be ended and efforts put exclusively to legislation. But I am exhausted and brain fried right now so maybe I am reading it wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm I don't think it's "fake" at all. I chose my words carefully. "Misleading" is the word I used specifically. I don't doubt that there's a great deal of truth in what the Times reported. But I also know that the Times
(and the Post) has a tendency to be spun by its sources.
I dont think the Times piece is being touted as some massive breaking news full of info. Compared to other stories, this was a blip. It doesnt really read like its intended to be more than that.

It's a lot of words which academics and writers always end up doing for no reason. But I agree, it didn't really say much of anything new.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm
By all means, let's spend more time on worthless partisan investigations. We don't need to spend time on legislation. It's more important to "get" Trump.
@DCHawk, this is the post I was responding to. If my sarcasm meter is tuned in properly, dolomite seems to be saying that these investigations should be ended and efforts put exclusively to legislation. But I am exhausted and brain fried right now so maybe I am reading it wrong.
Personally, I think dolomite has it backward. Trump wanted to be President, and now he is. And that means he has to deal with whatever embarrassment the Democrats' investigations turn up. They won control of the House and they can run it however they wish.

What we DON'T need is more legislation. Two years with no bills passing suits me fine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:05 pm
Personally, I think dolomite has it backward. Trump wanted to be President, and now he is. And that means he has to deal with whatever embarrassment the Democrats' investigations turn up. They won control of the House and they can run it however they wish.

What we DON'T need is more legislation. Two years with no bills passing suits me fine.
I agree on both accounts. But Trump has never been big on dealing with the consequences of the morally questionable methods he has used to achieve his goals. He has always had his money, his lawyers or bankruptcy court to avoid them.

But he doesn't have a way out of facing the upcoming consequences.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

He's got 800,000 hostages, what's Nancy got?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Geezer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm DC making excuses for Trump again.
DC with have this list neutralized and normalized without even breaking a sweat:

Max Boot

Here are 18 reasons Trump could be a Russian asset
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Given that it's Max Boot, I don't even need to.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Feral wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:49 pm
Geezer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:16 pm DC making excuses for Trump again.
DC with have this list neutralized and normalized without even breaking a sweat:

Max Boot

Here are 18 reasons Trump could be a Russian asset
What a joke!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

IIRC, the Steele Dossier was raw intelligence, not offered as conclusive proof. Interesting that Republicans bring it up to say, "See, that might not have happened, there are no photos, therefore Donald Trump is still our favorite president."

But, I'm kind of curious as to what DC considers the "sensational allegations that...are likely false" are.
Don't inject Lysol.