The illegal immigrants want in

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: The illegal immigrants want in

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am
The nation is full of unfilled apartments and homes for rent. The US Census report on housing for 3rd quarter 2018 estimated that there are more than 3 million households (homes and apartments) currently available to rent.

I would prefer that people coming into the country from somewhere else contribute to our national economy and rent a place to live rather than stay in my basement. So please, just stop.
You think the folks at the tijuana border have enough for first month, last month and security deposit.
I think that if their asylum request is granted that they can enter our country and have the opportunity to work and contribute to our nation. We need migrant workers at a price point that is below what it has proven out that US workers are willing to work at.

I would also severely limit their access to federal aid programs but that is another conversation.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:43 am
So how many can you take in?
Not sure why you continue to think this whole "if you want them here then you should be willing to take them into your home" shtick. I have no problem with my white neighbors being in the country but I am not willing to let them live with me and my family, either. Your argument is childish.

The nation is full of unfilled apartments and homes for rent. The US Census report on housing for 3rd quarter 2018 estimated that there are more than 3 million households (homes and apartments) currently available to rent.

I would prefer that people coming into the country from somewhere else contribute to our national economy and rent a place to live rather than stay in my basement. So please, just stop.
Good grief, let's be realistic here twocoach. Your idealistic approach is just not feasible.
I am a landlord with rental property and you actually think the migrants, asylum seekers would actually qualify to rent a home here? Before I rent to a tenant they have to pass a background/credit check (must have a credit score of at least 700), and have verifiable references. Renting to them would be like asking for trouble. C'mon now! So as long they live in somone elses home though it's OK with you?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 am

You think the folks at the tijuana border have enough for first month, last month and security deposit.
I think that if their asylum request is granted that they can enter our country and have the opportunity to work and contribute to our nation. We need migrant workers at a price point that is below what it has proven out that US workers are willing to work at.

I would also severely limit their access to federal aid programs but that is another conversation.
How cruel!!
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

such an idiot!!
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 am such an idiot!!
But a realistic one, as opposed to liberals who live in a dream world.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 am
dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am

So how many can you take in?
Not sure why you continue to think this whole "if you want them here then you should be willing to take them into your home" shtick. I have no problem with my white neighbors being in the country but I am not willing to let them live with me and my family, either. Your argument is childish.

Good grief, let's be realistic here twocoach. Your idealistic approach is just not feasible.
I am a landlord with rental property and you actually think the migrants, asylum seekers would actually qualify to rent a home here? Before I rent to a tenant they have to pass a background/credit check (must have a credit score of at least 700), and have verifiable references. Renting to them would be like asking for trouble. C'mon now! So as long they live in somone elses home though it's OK with you?
The quality of renter depends on the quality of the rented unit. I agree that not all landlords would rent at that risk rate and price point.

Frankly, studies are showing that for rental units at the lowest price points, they are actually a much less risky renter. With their stay in the country at risk, many simply keep their heads down and work and vacate the unit quickly if there is a problem.

The crime rate of undocumented immigrants is significantly lower than that of native born us citizens and that includes you and I, citizens very unlikely to be arrested. I would hazard a guess that it is shockingly lower than the crime rate of us citizens making the same wage. If you have a low end rental unit, you are probably much less likely to have a problem with an illegal immigrant renting it than a low wage us citizen.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 am
No. Realistic is understanding that we do not have enough US workers in this country willing to live a lifestyle meager enough to be paid the low level of wages required to keep costs down in many key US industries.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I do agree with many Republicans that changes need to be made to many goverment programs to restrict or eliminate federsl funds being given to non US citizens. But too many times, politics on both sides gets in the way of responsible oversight of federal programs.

"Fiscally conservative democrats" are not unicorns. We do exist.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:03 am

The quality of renter depends on the quality of the rented unit. I agree that not all landlords would rent at that risk rate and price point.

Frankly, studies are showing that for rental units at the lowest price points, they are actually a much less risky renter. With their stay in the country at risk, many simply keep their heads down and work and vacate the unit quickly if there is a problem.

The crime rate of undocumented immigrants is significantly lower than that of native born us citizens and that includes you and I, citizens very unlikely to be arrested. I would hazard a guess that it is shockingly lower than the crime rate of us citizens making the same wage. If you have a low end rental unit, you are probably much less likely to have a problem with an illegal immigrant renting it than a low wage us citizen.
links?
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 89

#alternativefacts
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 am

links?
www.google.com
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am
No. Realistic is understanding that we do not have enough US workers in this country willing to live a lifestyle meager enough to be paid the low level of wages required to keep costs down in many key US industries.
realistic is understanding that most people in our country illegally actually initially came here legally, and have since overstayed their allotted time...versus those crossing the border illegally
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:03 am The quality of renter depends on the quality of the rented unit. I agree that not all landlords would rent at that risk rate and price point.

#alternativefacts
What is? Go do the research. Crime rates are reported facts based on data readily available for anyone who chooses to look for them. That is the only fact I provided. The rest is my opinion based on research as well as my own experience dealing with rental units owned by family members.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:43 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:06 am

realistic is understanding that most people in our country illegally actually initially came here legally, and have since overstayed their allotted time...versus those crossing the border illegally
100% agreed. The US government should review their existing procedures and determine how this is being allowed and put measures in place to reduce/ correct this problem. We can have responsible immigration policies and also behave like humane, empathetic adults.

The GOP just weaponizes a concern folks have to scare them into supporting whatever they want. That goes back way beyond Trump. Trump has just taken it to the next level.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I have personally set up apartments for refugee families and groups multiple times a year for the last four years. There are organizations in my town that facilitate this. Volunteers like myself clean the Apts and then furnish them with our retired sofas, tables, silverware, sheets, dishes, wall hangings, etc. The local agencies find the apartments and supply new mattresses. We volunteers supply everything else right down to bath soap and food.
I can’t remember all the countries, but I do recall refugees from Nepal, Iraq, Syria, and Congo.
The apartments have not been in the nice parts of town, but are ok.
I too am a landlord and I rent out 5 units. None of my renters are US citizens. Never has there been a missed payment or unscrupulous issue.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am
100% agreed. The US government should review their existing procedures and determine how this is being allowed and put measures in place to reduce/ correct this problem. We can have responsible immigration policies and also behave like humane, empathetic adults.
That's quite a dreamworld you live in. Obviously you haven't met the United States government circa the 21st century. The next time our government works together for the greater good, will be the first time in the 21st century.

My granddaddy tells tales of when the government worked for the folks back in his day. The good ole days. Too bad I won't be able to tell my grandkids that.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm I have personally set up apartments for refugee families and groups multiple times a year for the last four years. There are organizations in my town that facilitate this. Volunteers like myself clean the Apts and then furnish them with our retired sofas, tables, silverware, sheets, dishes, wall hangings, etc. The local agencies find the apartments and supply new mattresses. We volunteers supply everything else right down to bath soap and food.
I can’t remember all the countries, but I do recall refugees from Nepal, Iraq, Syria, and Congo.
I too am a landlord and I rent out 5 units. None of my renters are US citizens. Never has there been a missed payment or unscrupulous issue.
Good onya though that's very unusual, We've been in the business for ten years and have had a few bad eggs. I could tell some stories.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:00 pm I have personally set up apartments for refugee families and groups multiple times a year for the last four years. There are organizations in my town that facilitate this. Volunteers like myself clean the Apts and then furnish them with our retired sofas, tables, silverware, sheets, dishes, wall hangings, etc. The local agencies find the apartments and supply new mattresses. We volunteers supply everything else right down to bath soap and food.
Thanks to you and the volunteers, DrPepper.
Don't inject Lysol.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I have never run a credit report on someone. People with credit scores have or had debt.
By definition, I know my international renters are exceedingly likely to be hard workers and do everything they can to be good and right. The America they know is that if you work hard, you can succeed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 am
That's quite a dreamworld you live in. Obviously you haven't met the United States government circa the 21st century. The next time our government works together for the greater good, will be the first time in the 21st century.

My granddaddy tells tales of when the government worked for the folks back in his day. The good ole days. Too bad I won't be able to tell my grandkids that.
Drama much? Yes, it is getting increasingly more difficult for the government to behave in an organized, mature, efficient, responsible manner. Maybe it reflects the growing number of unorganized, immature, sloppy and irresponsible US citizens...

Running a government is like running a very large household. You have to try to be the adult in the room even when your children are being intolerable little shits and your responsivility is to govern for the greater good of the overall household despite the fact that some in the house may be negatively affected by that decision.

Sometimes even the best governments fail to act properly just as sometimes even the best parents fail to act properly. But you must try to continue on and do your best.

As a collective, our government is better now than it was 80 years ago and will most likely be better 80 years in the future than it is now. We need to keep demanding that it head towards what we want it to be 80 years from now, not roll it back to what it was 80 years ago because a few of us had grandparents who really liked their lives back then.

Work to do. Progress to be made. Dreamworld? My American Dream is to leave this world a better place than I found it so yeah, I guess so.