SCOTUS

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by jfish26 »

SCOTUS rebukes Trump administration on LGBTQ discrimation question. Roberts and Gorsuch side with the liberal justices, with Gorsuch writing for the Court. That is quite an L for Donald, Billy and the gang.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

This is excellent news.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Can Trump fire him?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, I’m halfway waiting for some “Little Neil is a Traitor! He betrayed me after I was nice enough to nominate him!”
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

If nothing else, it should give some people a renewed faith that Gorsuch won't just do whatever he thinks trump wants, right?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Gorsuch and Roberts still were responsible for a bunch of people in Wisconsin contracting COVID-19 just so they could exercise their Constitutional Right to vote. So, there's that.

Let's not be in a hurry to grant them an award for not-murdering. They are still a-holes. Just that there are three bigger a-holes on the SCOTUS
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:30 pm If nothing else, it should give some people a renewed faith that Gorsuch won't just do whatever he thinks trump wants, right?
I was never worried about that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Scotus says Trump can’t end DACA
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm Scotus says Trump can’t end DACA
Not exactly. Just said he needs to give a reason for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dang, scotus punts on un-redacting the Mueller report.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, what did scotus just do?

They sent a couple cases back to lower courts - one saying the potus is not “categorically immune” from having a grand jury review financial records, and another saying congress still isn’t allowed to see those records?

Anyone familiar and able to clarify?

And either way, sounds like voters won’t get to learn anything about Trump’s finances until after the election...
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am Wait, what did scotus just do?

They sent a couple cases back to lower courts - one saying the potus is not “categorically immune” from having a grand jury review financial records, and another saying congress still isn’t allowed to see those records?

Anyone familiar and able to clarify?

And either way, sounds like voters won’t get to learn anything about Trump’s finances until after the election...
(Have only read top lines so take the following with some salt). Essentially, POTUS's defense that because he is president, he gets absolute immunity on being investigated is bunk, and remanded down to lower courts. This also allows Trump to offer a new defense of why he doesn't need to comply with the subpoena.

The rulings are good because it puts limits on the Executive, and reaffirms he is not a god. It's bad because the remand means POTUS can probably play stall ball enough that the info won't get into the hands of anyone investigating before November election. Today's rulings would likely only be relevant to Trump if he wins a second term, and has no more avenues to stall. Once he is no longer the executive, he would lose a lot of the immunities he currently enjoys.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Nice!

Thanks.

And man, this is an awful lot of effort by a potus to make sure he’s as not transparent as possible.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The fact that he's already committing to mucking around in the lower courts for longer, rather than just eating whatever the bad information in those returns is, tells you all you need to know about just how bad the information in those returns is.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 am The fact that he's already committing to mucking around in the lower courts for longer, rather than just eating whatever the bad information in those returns is, tells you all you need to know about just how bad the information in those returns is.
Eh, I think anyone with free legal defense would string out the courts as long as possible, so I don't fault him there. Also, gives a shiny thing for investigators to follow that actually may be innocuous (and his final, "see, I told you it was okay,") meanwhile the PPP has been a slush fund for his cronies. Or the botched Rona response. Or the cooked BLS numbers. Or the recession/bubble we're on. Or the immigrant kids still being separated that no one has talked about in two years because it has gone underground, and media/investigators have lost interest. Or....

And at this point, I don't trust any document to be accurate, be it the PPP list released this/last week, or whatever ends up in the hands of investigators. This has been an exhausting 1,266 days.
Deleted User 318

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:24 am Nice!

Thanks.

And man, this is an awful lot of effort by a potus to make sure he’s as not transparent as possible.
I'm actually reviewing analysis on the first case, the Vance case, and I'm not seeing where the president would have an avenue to block the AG's subpoenas any further in the grand jury investigation (I admittedly know nothing of Grand Juries, so I could just be overlooking something). I think that there is a chance that some suggestion of wrongdoing could be announced by the NY AG before the election if they have their ducks in a row (my guess is they do, and to provide a politically damaging attack before the election). Palace intrigue won't be satisfied there, as the AG dept is not going to leak anything, while Congress certainly would. However, it may lead to the outlines of a prosecution, and at the worst time for Trump (instead of say Nov 2019, when the public would forget whatever happened already).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:47 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 am The fact that he's already committing to mucking around in the lower courts for longer, rather than just eating whatever the bad information in those returns is, tells you all you need to know about just how bad the information in those returns is.
Eh, I think anyone with free legal defense would string out the courts as long as possible, so I don't fault him there. Also, gives a shiny thing for investigators to follow that actually may be innocuous (and his final, "see, I told you it was okay,") meanwhile the PPP has been a slush fund for his cronies. Or the botched Rona response. Or the cooked BLS numbers. Or the recession/bubble we're on. Or the immigrant kids still being separated that no one has talked about in two years because it has gone underground, and media/investigators have lost interest. Or....

And at this point, I don't trust any document to be accurate, be it the PPP list released this/last week, or whatever ends up in the hands of investigators. This has been an exhausting 1,266 days.
On the other hand, there's value in just getting the bad news out there, and out of the way.
Deleted User 318

I think at this point all conclusions are baked in. The right think it's a witchhunt and nothing in there will change their minds. The left think he's a crook and nothing in there will change their minds. Maybe if the info came out before the 2016 election, it could've convinced some to vote a certain way, or not at all, but after 3.5 years, I think each side is dug in to the full extent.

Now, I think the goal is, if there is anything in there that is scrupulous, then run out the clock as long as possible and stay out of prison after leaving office.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s a good point. Get it out now, and everyone would forget by November. Or heck, by next week.

...unless there is some bombshell so damning that it actually has consequences for Trump, but when has that ever happened?

And that’s a good point that it could be a a simple matter of stringing it out in the courts as long as possible. But I think the likelihood of Trump doing this just to string it out is about as likely as Trump having nothing to hide.

Would a NY ag be in a position to drop a timely politic zinger?