COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

It's hard to imagine a more fertile exchange medium than public transit. Besides, I suppose, a Trump rally or beach party.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 am It's hard to imagine a more fertile exchange medium than public transit. Besides, I suppose, a Trump rally or beach party.
Especially rush hour NYC. Usually, I'm packed in with zero personal space for 40 minutes next to no less than 50 people.

If what I had was indeed the CV, this is where I assume I got it from. I wash my hands constantly, have Purell on my desk that I use every time I sit down. I don't talk close to people, and am not a toucher (no high fives, no back slaps, no hugs).

But twice a day, for 40-45 minutes, I'm rubbing and grinding on all kinds of strangers like drunk 19-year olds in Cancun on Spring Break.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was gonna pick a high 5 hanging gif with some sports personalities or at least some bros, but I picked that one for leawood.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Vega wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 am It's hard to imagine a more fertile exchange medium than public transit. Besides, I suppose, a Trump rally or beach party.
Especially rush hour NYC. Usually, I'm packed in with zero personal space for 40 minutes next to no less than 50 people.

If what I had was indeed the CV, this is where I assume I got it from. I wash my hands constantly, have Purell on my desk that I use every time I sit down. I don't talk close to people, and am not a toucher (no high fives, no back slaps, no hugs).

But twice a day, for 40-45 minutes, I'm rubbing and grinding on all kinds of strangers like drunk 19-year olds in Cancun on Spring Break.
Public transit has it's many good things, but nope, I couldn't handle being sandwiched between a bunch of people for that long. Not only am I sort of a germ freak, but I also get claustrophobic. I've been to NYC, Chicago and DC many times and I almost panic everytime I get on the subway. Sometimes I'll just cab it or walk.
Deleted User 307

I don't mind it, and it's much faster and cheaper than trying to drive, and more relaxing to me (I usually whip out my phone and catch up on Netflix/Prime video). I used to live in Seoul, it was worse there.

My advice is, if you are uncomfortable on crowded subways go to the front or back of the train (or at least away from where the entrances are), and be aware of the schedule. If a train doesn't come for 10 minutes, it will be packed. But if there is one behind it that comes 2 minutes after that train, it will oftentimes be half empty.

For germs, you can always have a few napkins in your pocket and hold onto the poles with those.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Napkins are a good idea.

I’ve been the guy trying to mash my PIN into the grocery store self-checkout interface wearing snow gloves.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Apple Pay (or its equivalent), FTW.
Deleted User 307

http://www.vinography.com/archives/2020 ... winer.html

For those who enjoy wine, someone compiled a ton of deals that wineries are offering.
Deleted User 307

NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... ity-148259

The Department of Homeland Security has been briefed that New York City’s morgues are nearing capacity, according to a department official and a second person familiar with the situation.

Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing. A third person familiar with the situation in New York said that some of the city’s hospital morgues hit capacity over the last seven days. And a FEMA spokesperson told POLITICO that New York has asked for emergency mortuary assistance. Hawaii and North Carolina have asked for mortuary help as well, and the disaster response agency is currently reviewing the requests, according to the spokesperson.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Vega wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

The Department of Homeland Security has been briefed that New York City’s morgues are nearing capacity, according to a department official and a second person familiar with the situation.

Officials were told that morgues in the city are expected to reach capacity next week, per the briefing. A third person familiar with the situation in New York said that some of the city’s hospital morgues hit capacity over the last seven days. And a FEMA spokesperson told POLITICO that New York has asked for emergency mortuary assistance. Hawaii and North Carolina have asked for mortuary help as well, and the disaster response agency is currently reviewing the requests, according to the spokesperson.
My brother just lost his beloved father-in-law this past weekend. They have no idea when it will be OK to lay him to rest. Not a Covid-19 tragedy - he'd been diagnosed with mesothelioma about 6 months ago.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Sorry to hear that Chikn.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Vega wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:49 pm NYC morgues near capacity, DHS briefing warns

My brother just lost his beloved father-in-law this past weekend. They have no idea when it will be OK to lay him to rest. Not a Covid-19 tragedy - he'd been diagnosed with mesothelioma about 6 months ago.
Sorry to hear it chikn!
We lost a close family friend over the weekend. No funeral. Private burial.

"Due to the pandemic virus and concern for the health of our extended family and friends the Tuesday graveside service and shiva will be private. The service will be live streamed".

He deserved a better send off.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

shindig wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 am

Public transit has it's many good things, but nope, I couldn't handle being sandwiched between a bunch of people for that long. Not only am I sort of a germ freak, but I also get claustrophobic. I've been to NYC, Chicago and DC many times and I almost panic everytime I get on the subway. Sometimes I'll just cab it or walk.
It's hard to imagine a more fertile exchange medium than public transit...

One of the analysts I was listening to yesterday spoke to this very point, to support his theory that even after we come out of the other side from this pandemic, enough people will have been sensitized to all that human closeness, to propel Uber into a bright future because then you're only sharing your ride with one Uber, Lyft, etc., driver.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Feral wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:36 pm

One of the analysts I was listening to yesterday spoke to this very point, to support his theory that even after we come out of the other side from this pandemic, enough people will have been sensitized to all that human closeness, to propel Uber into a bright future because then you're only sharing your ride with one Uber, Lyft, etc., driver.
I dont see people going from riding the bus to riding an Uber. That's a huge change in cost per month.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

I dont see people going from riding the bus to riding an Uber. That's a huge change in cost per month.
quit constantly showing your stupidity.

Please.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:22 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:13 pm

quit constantly showing your stupidity.

Please.
I'll check back on Uber utilization in a few months and see whether I am dumb or not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There are several things that will fundamentally change coming out of this. I would not want my livelihood to be tied up in movie theaters or Class A office space, for example.

Or, lord, anything in the UK.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That truly sucks Chickn. Your family deserves better.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Very sorry, chiknbut. It seems to be pouring and pouring these days.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas