Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by pdub »

shindig wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 pm Yeah, I mean all of college is doing those things
fyp
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:48 pm NC State having outbreak spread from a party on Aug 6. So nearly two weeks of spreading before they identified the cluster.
Heard NC State officially going remote.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Bama with 566 cases a week after classes started. They going straight herd immunity route to keep football going.

https://www.newsweek.com/university-ala ... rt-1527333
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The college kids are at no risk. I don’t understand why we care if they get it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

In fact, the more college kids that get it, the faster we can get to herd immunity.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:47 am The college kids are at no risk. I don’t understand why we care if they get it.
Dickhead me says......Have you seen your primary care physician and discussed with him/her that it seems you are incapable of comprehending a basic concept? Or at least refusing to.

Wise me says......I live two blocks from a college. I live in a building with many college students. I go to restaurants and businesses where there are many college "kids" congregating. I am exposed to multiple college kids on a daily basis.
Should I not care if they get it, spread it to me, and I spread it to others that are at high risk of complications?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mich is just going full blown, piece of shit human
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:06 am Mich is just going full blown, piece of shit human
It's actually quite bizarre.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

It’s obvious that the college age kids are not going to alter their life style one iota. So it’s up to me to alter mine. If I so decide.

They know darn well they are at no risk.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Don’t take your beef up with me. Take it up with your college age kids.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:29 am It’s obvious that the college age kids are not going to alter their life style one iota. So it’s up to me to alter mine. If I so decide.

I wouldn't say this. I'd just say they don't care. I mean, 99.9% of the people on this bored would do the same damn thing if they were 18-21.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:29 am It’s obvious that the college age kids are not going to alter their life style one iota. So it’s up to me to alter mine. If I so decide.

Of course:

1 - they're not; and
2 - the people required to make college work certainly are not.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Spring 2020 the college towns boohooed that the students were sent home and their economies were rocked. Now the kids come back and the internet deviants and malcontents are bitching.

No way to satisfy the internet deviants and malcontents.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I work at a University. Every student I've seen on campus is wearing a face mask at all times, every student that I've seen makes an effort to socially distance. I don't know what they do on Friday and Saturday nights, but I know that there are more than 10,000 students enrolled and right now there are 12 active cases...the students are actually doing better than the faculty/staff percentage-wise as there are fewer than a thousand of us and we have 4 active cases.

Let's not generalize. Lots of college age people are doing what they're supposed to do, lots of olds are not doing what they're supposed to do.

I can only speak from personal experience, maybe at a lot of colleges it's worse.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Iowa City (U of Iowa) has something like a 48% positive rate right now of tests given. 100+ people positive all together.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Obviously the media, and Mich, are gonna focus on the worst spots. I mean, that's what gets the clicks. That doesn't mean that's the reality of what's going on across the country.

Also, Kirk Ferentz sucks. Of course Iowa has a lot of covid cases, that's just how Karma works.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, on a campus of well over 30,000, one hundred some cases is still lower than the national average at large.

Obviously it's complicated by things like Dorms and Dining Halls, but if you have good protocols for isolation and tracking and tracing, you do the best you can.

I know that the tracking and tracing at my university is much faster, more robust, and better overall than what the county offers to everyone else.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I don’t focus on anything. I’m in favor of the college kids heading back to campus and boozing and vaping and fornicating. Far away from their loved one’s.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nevermind that professional athletes are having to stop their carriers because they have heart complications after testing positive. But yet, drunk college kids will be able to fight off anything.

zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:37 am Spring 2020 the college towns boohooed that the students were sent home and their economies were rocked. Now the kids come back and the internet deviants and malcontents are bitching.

No way to satisfy the internet deviants and malcontents.
I’m invoking the “don’t argue with a fool because people may not be able to tell the difference” principle